fire chickens
1 (50%)
checkering
1 (50%)
homebrew
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: February 19, 2016, 09:14:43 PM

Author Topic: fire hawks hearaldry opinion?  (Read 796 times)

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
fire hawks hearaldry opinion?
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »
Shoulder pads and vehicle scheme ideas put to. A vote
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: fire hawks hearaldry opinion?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 10:21:48 PM »
The scheme in IA:9 is a very good looking paint job.  Fiery and bright, just the right amount of gaudy that reminds me of the old saying that a proper Space Marine doesn't hide.  They proudly display their colors and challenge the enemy to kill them.  And since they have the burning chicken, I'd go with that.  Especially on the vehicles.  Looks like a really cool effect if you have the talent to do it.  I personally do not have that talent...

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 11:20:47 PM »
I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I've never done red before, and this isn't going so well.
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 11:46:46 PM »
Is your basecoat too thick?  Top of the Dreadnoughts looks a bit too thick but it might be the camera.  I've actually found red to be pretty easy.  Give it a good red wash, Carroburg Crimson from Citadel I think, and the detail will start to pop and the recesses will get that deeper red you need.  From there it's just about highlighting the remainder.  Only after all that is dry overnight would I even consider starting on the yellow.  If you find red to be tricky, yellow might kick your backside for a while.  I have found the best luck with a 1:4 part mix of Citadel's Dawnstone and Ceramite White for the consistency I have never been able to get in their pure whites.  Then when that is dry, a 1:2 mix using Ceramite White and Flash Gitz to blend followed by a properly thinned Flash Gitz and a lot of patience to paint away those brush strokes.

My other suggestion is to do one model at a time, that way you can improve what you tried on a case by case basis until you get to the consistent level to do up the squads.  Especially if both red and yellow are new colors for you.  I abandoned yellow for ages until I tried it again with my friend's Space Wolf shoulders and got a pattern going with the paints.  Still a color I avoid though...

If you have an airbrush though, yellow is MUCH easier with that.  So I've heard.  And it might be worth it to invest in one so you can do the flame bits via airbrush template instead of trying to do it be hand.  You picked a pretty difficult freehand chapter after all.