Author Topic: Blood Angels 8th theory  (Read 963 times)

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
Blood Angels 8th theory
« on: August 10, 2017, 11:22:24 AM »
Hey all.  I am coming back to 40k after a long hiatus and the new edition.  This also marks me beginning a new Blood Angels force.  Building it up from the Deathstorm box and some other pieces I picked up.  I have recently seen discussion of specific lists and the like in the forum here but I was wanting to start a topic with more general theory, wargear combo, and tactics in mind.  It seems like the Blood Angels are having some difficulty finding a strong identity at the start of the edition.  They want to be in close combat to better bring the flavor of the army but are elite enough that some of the major buffs to close combat in 8th aren't applying as well to them.

So to kick off I have this idea that the prevalence of jump options in the army is a strong platform.  Because of the Fly keyword they have excellent movement and the ability to tactically hit and run very well.  Again they are pretty elite though with Death Co and Sanguinary Guard both being pretty expensive compared to Ork or Tyranid options for assault based units.  Opposite poles of the assault philosophy honestly.  But I was also thinking that there is some untapped potential in their abilities and wargear.  With the specialized pistols at their disposal a group of Sanguinary Guard can actually use the Infernus pistol for some serious flexibility and extra attacks in CC.  It also gives more punch against armor both on the way into and out of combat with vehicles.  The most major downside is again points cost.  You're going to drop some major points in this upgrade but the tactical option they bring is interesting and an opponent will likely be nervous at facing them.  I'm also thinking of how the army works against fliers at the same time as everything else.  That's nice flexibility too.  I am also considering using this type of tactic on my Death Co.  The hand flamers are the weapon I really wanted to try but since I am thinking my Death Co are going to do better work with all chainswords the higher power and AP of the Infernus seems smarter.  And also I know it's far more expensive but since I'm planning for more elite model count I feel list building can accommodate this. 

Anyway, thoughts?  I'm very curious as to a veteran Blood Angel player's perspective.
Repent, for tomorrow you die.
http://rezial.blogspot.com/

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Angels 8th theory
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
The Inferno Pistol and Hand Flamer have fundamental flaws that limit their usefulness.  But first I want to clarify that they don't work as extra attacks in Assault.  They can be used in the shooting phase of your turn even if you're locked in combat, which frankly doesn't happen much.  It's a nice idea, but I've found myself cutting pistols every chance I can because engagements either happen in two rounds of combat and someone has fallen back, or at range and pistols are useless.  I've played way too many games where my Plasma pistols have gone unusued and they're twice the range.

The fundamental problem though is the range.  A jump unit isn't usually going to stay on the table from Turn 1, and if you Deep Strike, you can't use those guns.  If you're charged past the range, you can't use those guns.  6" is not a lot and it's tough getting that close in your movement phase alone.

I haven't been able to justify adding specialty pistols, but Blood Angels are paying Index cost for Thunder Hammers and Power Fists, and that reduction when the Codex comes out might change my mind.  Right now though, I don't bother.  Deployment flexibility is more important to me than a few extra shots.

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 12:33:20 PM »
 I see where you're coming from.  I apologize for not being clear in my description as well.  I do understand the pistols are used in the shooting phase.  My thinking is that specifically Infernus are very useful once you're in combat and while I agree the range is poor while your unit is disengaged I think the mobility of the platform can offset this.  Mostly though I just see a huge advantage to having melta shots to buff my damage output while I'm in a melee.  You can damage a lot of things or just plain wipe them out.  This also means you may not need to pay for heavier cc weapons as well which can mean even more reason to stick with plus 1 attack chainswords for Death Co.  Having a unit of Death Co engaging vehicles with these is certainly much scarier for an opponent.  I definitely need to test the theory that this is truly good or not and I am not thinking the guns are priced the best they could be.  In my mind the utility of the option may just be enough to make up for expense.  Prior to a new codex though it will be hard to get a definitive answer.

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 08:49:56 PM »
So I'm back and now armed with the new Codex.  Blood Angels are strong!  The specialty pistols have had a serious points.reduction and we see even more flexibility in the jump pack infantry options than before with relics and stratagems.  I think many of my theories of the units have become very viable.

Now I'm trying to find the troops and generic hq components.  We know that a tricked out Captain with jump pack and the Death Co. keyword will crush already.  I want to know what is good for a Primaris Captain and Intercessors or would you use more scouts or biker scouts or tacos, etc?