Author Topic: I Hate Dark Eldar  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Jonny V

• Initiate
    • View Profile
I Hate Dark Eldar
« on: August 20, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »
Yep. 4 games against them now and I've lost every time. What's going on?

So, my opponent loves the fliers, one each of the bomber and standard fighter. Also he uses a ravager and raiders with wyches and kalabites. Finally a sneaky trick is blaster trueborn in a venom. A combination of excellent mobility and scary firepower usually takes care of my important units in the first 2 turns. Also he always a finishes deployment first to which means his fliers get first pick of what dies first.

I play imperial fists. I like dreads and terminators. My mainstays are Lysander and some regular terminators who usually do quite well, especially with the new Bolter drill. I use a cyclone launcher with these guys too. I have a deredeo dread that always explodes quickly, tax squads that are rubbish as the DE always hide out in their raiders and zap them. I've tried a whole bunch of other things and nothing seems to be working.

The continual beats and near tablings are really p***ing me off as I'm kind of stuck as to what to do. I enjoy a good game and win or loose this is what matters. I have problems with severe long term depression and am moving house at the moment to a different city so this is probably something to do with it but I don't feel like playing at all. Anyone got any tips to up my game?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate Dark Eldar
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:42:36 AM »
Go elite.  Don't take tax Squads if they serve no purpose and use the Detachments that fit the units you want to actually take.  Hide your Deredeo in cover in a place it doesn't have to move, or take the Invul booster that I think Loyalists still can grab.  Take more Lascannons in places on GOOD bodies.  Don't take a Dreadnought with a Lascannon, take a Predator with an Autocannon and Lascannons.  Take quality units instead of just the appealing stuff.  As annoying as it is, if you want to improve your game against a regular opponent, your list has to git gud.

A Stormraven and single Ven Dread carrying Lysander and some Terminators should be enough to keep the style you like without sacrificing quality.  You need to weather the Alpha Strike, which means staying far away Turn 1, letting him come to you and having the ability to close the rest of the gap.  Which means more than 6" movement.  Dark Eldar are a glass cannon.  They'll break against the units in Marines that are like walls.

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:40:01 AM »
I agree. If you can't win the first turn, you need to try to deny it from your opponent. Deployment is an important feature and if you see that you can't secure the first turn, then try to minimize the shots coming at you by deploying so that your opponent can't get into range first turn. Use cover and try to deny line of sight to your unit. Make your opponent work for it so to speak. Also you need some good fire power and predators are the way to go here. I suggest more than one so that your opponent can't so easily get rid of them.

You also need to identify the "real threats" in your opponents army. As in "what are the key units you need to take out". I mught focus on transports and other mobile unit to reduse the mobility. The flyers I think have to move every turn so thay might not be your primary consern. Though I might be wrond but thats what you need to figure out.

Lastly it might not hurt to try to use one unit to just taunt your opponent and forse him to focus on it such as a land raider that is just fireing it's lascanons every turn and not doing anything else. Or if land raider is toi expensive you could just go for one full las pred just to taunt your oppinent. Making him focus on something will help your other units do their thing.

So remember deploiment, fire power and taunt units.
For the Dark Gods!

Offline Jonny V

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:45:33 AM »
Thanks. Much appreciated guys!

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:03:36 AM »
Ou and if you are playing space marines then you have access to the primeris stuff so that is also an option to make yous army more durable but that is totally up to you.
For the Dark Gods!

Offline MattyIce

• Battle Brother
  • 🖕🧀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
try bringing an ancient. If you are going to be losing terminators with cyclone missile launchers then force another shot from them as they die he will think twice before killing them. Try adding an apothecary to them and bring those models back to life.

I feel the new hotness is going to be area buffs that characters give. This is something that is utilized from positioning. It's no longer the days of unstoppable deathstars and number crunching. Even terminators don't have the same durability from earlier editions.
🖕🧀

Online ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 03:33:05 AM »
I'm sorry, but shouldn't you hate the Dark Eldar simply because they exist?  Feel no shame in hating the xenos, brother.  There is no need to explain their trickery as justification.