Author Topic: The Best 8th Edition HQ Choice?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
The Best 8th Edition HQ Choice?
« on: August 29, 2017, 04:49:42 AM »
So now that the 8th has dropped and CSM got their codex I am wondering.... What is the best HQ choice across the codex and the index? And I'm not talking about just based on wargear. I mean who brings the most to the table in terms of abilities, options, synergy and so on... I know it all depends on your army and "does it have a theme" or "is it a fluffy list" but I'm just looking for opinions if we would look at the HQ's by them selves and compare.

So what do you think? Who is the best in your opinion? And also why?
For the Dark Gods!

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Best 8th Edition HQ Choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »
Daemon Prince with wings and claws.  Add relic and/or powers of choice and there you go.  They have a ridiculous amount of bang for their buck and hide behind other units like any other Character ready and waiting to spring ahead and kill something.  CSM HQs are pretty dry otherwise though.  Even my Huron lost his teeth when his ability got downgraded to a basic hit aura.  The HQ slot is where I put models, not strategies now.

Offline xSorpzz

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 06:44:37 AM »
Yea i have to agree with the Daemon Prince wings+claws as the best without a specific list/strategy. it can fly solo, whereas pretty much all other HQ choices need synergy with the list in some way, or are just used for a cheap aura/slot fill. The dp also gives lord aura, +1 spell, though you wouldn't use him for those specifically.

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »
Good point. Tough I might also debate for a plain chaos lord with terminator armour, combi-plasma and an artefact of choise. He might not be fast but he'll have better Sv and Invul. and he can deep strike to the field any turn you choose. Giving you the element of surprise and forcing your opponent to adapt to the situation. I usually teleport him to the enemys back while the rest of my army assaults and blasts them from the front. You could also teleport some terminators with the lord just to be safe but that falls into the synergy and strategy department so lets leave it at that.
For the Dark Gods!

Offline xSorpzz

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
thats kind of what im thinking of doing, but going sorcerer instead of the lord with a bunch of plasma termies, with prescience and either death hex/warptime/delightful agonies (depends on what i'm versing), with a lord on a bike and a bunch of bikers. for 333 points you can get a spearhead lord on bike + 9 bikers, a pretty cheap and mobile firing line. but still, all of this requires synergy, i can't think of many situations where any of these lords would be good solo other then as a distraction/fill-a-spot, the DP still wins for Single model effectiveness.points of each is 111-146 for termie lord, 154-175 for termie sorceror and 180-189 for winged DP. so for 5-60 points difference depending on wargear, i still think DP wins out, but others can be much better with good synergy

Offline tomjashroom

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 04:07:23 AM »
Demon princes are OK they are decedent. They have low toughness for their points cost and less wounds then a rhino (I know this means it cant be shot at with the character rule) but you are still paying for a very low wound model. . Also they can be countered by grey knights pretty hard which are popular because they also have their codex so gotta consider this people may take grey knight detachments.

Some other worthy HQ mentions:
Abbadon-  Hes amazing in every single way except psychic powers.
Magnus- ^^ including psychic powers but has an appropriate expensive points cost.
Warpsmiths- And no im not joking.  Super  Suiper Cheap in the new codex apparently  have great synergy with Preditors and Forgefiends. Amazing filler option for filling up a HQ choice in your x2 HQ choice detachment in low points games.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:30:02 PM by tomjashroom »

Offline xSorpzz

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
warpsmith is more expensive then lords, exalted and dark apostle w/o upgrades, but does default have a flamer + melta, and could double up on either by replacing the pistol. though all 4 choices are within 6 points w/o upgrades, so like the others i'd say it depends more on your list then being a default good HQ.
How is Abbadon good in this edition (other then the +2cp)? I've never seen or heard of him doing well, but maybe i'm just not seeing him used propperly.
and isn't Magnus a lord of war? I would have added him above apart for this reason

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 06:19:33 AM »
I haven't got around fielding Abaddon yet. Mainly cuz of my undieing focus on my Death Guard for some reason... But the extra 2 CP just for bringing him is good value i think cuz you know if he gets to close combat he'll kill something if not everything. His weapons are good for dealing with all kinds of things and he gets a crap load of atks if you divide his atks between the sword and the talon. The only thing is to find a delivery system but he can teleport and warptime is a thing so no problem. But I guess this "without synergy" thing isn't realy a good idea since there are so many ways to make any HQ good.

I still think that the Chaos Lord is a solid option mainly cuz you can fit him to suite any situation and list. Daemon Prince also but they are imo more restricted and kind of too easy to take down. They don't get as good protection or wargear as Chaos Lords do.

And as for the Warpsmiths, I agree. They are good secondary HQs. I would probably take a Chaos Terminator Lord, a Terminator Sorcerer and a Warpsmith if the points give room for that. And if not then choose between a Sorcerer and a Warpsmith depending on the list.
For the Dark Gods!