Author Topic: Getting back into 40k  (Read 1386 times)

Offline sever14

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Getting back into 40k
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
Hello all

I was an avid 40k player back in the early 2000's, but havent played in the last 10 years due to family and life choices.  Now i am looking to get back into the hobby.  With the latest edition, I am a little confused at what rules/codex i need to purchase as a space marine player.  Any help is appreciated. 

Online sindri_tepek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back into 40k
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »
Glad to hear about your interest in getting back into the hobby Sever!

Currently you would need both the 8th rulebook which is $60 on the GW site, but you can get it bundled in with the "Dark Imperium" box-set which has 53 models (both Imperial and Chaos) for $160. Outside of that if you are going loyalist Space Marine you would need the Codex: Adeptus Astartes, with the caveat that if you plan to play Blood Angels, Dark Angels or Space Wolves they are supposed to receive their own separate codices, as they deviate significantly in certain aspects.

It should also be noted that due to some of the changes in how structuring lists operates currently, you could also purchase the (Index: Imperium) books if you wish to put in Guard or Sisters, but those seem to be more as placeholders until they receive their own books, so you might wish to save your hobby-dollars until confirmation is provided by GW.

In summary, you would only need 2 books to field the majority of Space Marine chapters, but do be aware that GW has been very aggressive in launching new FAQ's, model lines and books over the last 6-9 months so things may change quickly, though now that the flagship Astartes have their own book they should be solid for a time.

Hope this was helpful,

Sindri

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 06:16:04 AM »
Certain models and homemade conversions are not in the new Codex though.  The Land Raider Excelsior, Tyrannic War Veterans and maybe a couple other very niche models no longer are supported in the Codex.  Characters that never had models like many characters on Bikes and most notably Khan on Moondrakken are no longer in the Codex either.  If you fall into these categories, you will still need the Index for Space Marines, Imperium 1.  A few of my old models and conversions are no longer supported but GW has ruled that out of date models can still be used with the Index.  Just consider it a complication if and only if you have home done conversions or White Scars.

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
When you get the new Rule book don't be shocked. There are a LOT of thing that don't exist anymore. The best way to go at this radical change is to just take the rules as writen. If it's not in the rule book or codex... it does not exist,for example there are no universal special rules anymore. Instead we have "Keywords" that don't realy do anything. They just grant you "permissions" to do other things and some abilities can effect units with certain keywords. But you'll find out more when you read the rules.
For the Dark Gods!

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
Welcome back to the hobby.

If you are thinking of going back to the space marines as your army of choice, you'll need the rulebook and the recently released space marine codex. If you aren't interested in the big Dark Imperium start box (space marines vs death guard) then take a look at the start playing bundles you can buy from the GW website as there is a basic one for space marines.

As others have said you will be surprised at the differences in the rules for 8th edition. It's not just a new edition, it is a complete overhaul of the rules. Take it as a brand new game and you'll do fine.

Good luck.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
I would agree with the rules and the Dark Imperium starter set for the Space Marines. If you are coming back after a long break from Space Marines, not only has so much in the game changed (for the better), but it is very clear that GW is going to push primaris as the new SM flavor. Current marine players have to figure out how to combine or update their armies, new players and those coming back to the game are free to jump right in and in my opinion go all primaris.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline eldarglim

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »
I would agree with the rules and the Dark Imperium starter set for the Space Marines. If you are coming back after a long break from Space Marines, not only has so much in the game changed (for the better), but it is very clear that GW is going to push primaris as the new SM flavor. Current marine players have to figure out how to combine or update their armies, new players and those coming back to the game are free to jump right in and in my opinion go all primaris.

I had a friend explain to me that one of the problems with all primaris is the lack of heavy weapons.  They need to take dreads, tanks, or normal devestator squads.  I am sickened by the amount of re-rolls, but every army is going to have its gimicks