Author Topic: Off-Topic (not wargaming): Youtube - WTF?!  (Read 1622 times)

Online Ironclad13

• Battle Brother
  • Iron Within, Kill Main Burn! Ahem... Iron Without.
    • View Profile
Off-Topic (not wargaming): Youtube - WTF?!
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:38:29 AM »
So, with the sudden shutdown of Fritz' much-loved channel, as someone looking to getting into creating their own youtube content, I find myself thinking "What the hell's going on at YouTube?".

Fritz appears to be one of many people getting the banhammer over on YouTube for, as far as anyone can make out, frivolous reasons.  It's like Google's censorship bots have stamped the mark of Khorne on the RAW-maul of their T's & C's and have been demonetising content left, right and centre.  In many cases, such as dear Fritz, they've been shutting down channels entirely.  It very much feels like they're enforcing their rules as written, rather than in spirit.

Which leaves me wondering, why should I use youtube as a platform when the T's & C's are so nebulously volatile?
Some are born great, others achieve greatness.  Some...

Some are still throwing spears at the buses.

Offline Smee

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Off-Topic (not wargaming): Youtube - WTF?!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »
Because, unfortunate as it may be, they have the largest influence (widest possible audience) & most stable platform. Tech giants, specifically because of the communications traffic and personal data they hold/control, can challenge governments with their power.

It would be great to see a rival compete, but it's just unlikely at this point, maybe down the line sometime. I recall the days of break.com & ASK.com etc. They've mostly fizzled out & Google/Youtube just dominate those spaces.

Precisely why I had been against Google's purchase of youtube; monopolies, digital or otherwise, simply are not fair to customers or competition.

Online sindri_tepek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
I'm curious as to the precise reason for getting tagged for ToS violation(s), as there has never been anything I've seen on any of Fritz's videos over the years that would seem to place his channel in jeopardy. If it's an update on the bots, then it's most likely a series of copyright strikes, and I do not recall any copyright material being utilized in any v-log since they are almost all still images.

However, there exists the outside possibility that someone issued a set of DMCA take-downs for no reason other than spite, which are unable to be appealed per my knowledge, though I would wonder who would be that vindictive.

At this point all we can do is wait and see how the situation develops. Hopefully it will all work out for Fritz in the end.

Offline Elwirfy

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »
I wonder if Fritz will give some sort of an explanation. He's my number one guy for 40k knowledge. His videos are the reason I am still motivated to play. Hope he gets his channel back.

Offline Covenantkilla

• Battle Brother
  • "The dark path leads only to an empty wallet"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:23:34 AM »
Im freaking heated that they would take fritz down! He has only ever been a good guy and an example for the community. It's absolute bull--- that youtube has done this. Youtube is such a --- website now. Obviously he did nothing wrong, and the man can't even talk to a human being about it because google is run by robots!

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
So true and it pains my heart to see great guys like Fritz get treated like this by YouTube. He has made great content and I look up to him in all things 40K and also other board and tapletop games. It is clear who the true Nazis are here...
For the Dark Gods!

Offline thamier

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:46:35 PM »
i found a mailadress for youtube press gonna try and ask them to fix it press@youtube.com