Author Topic: Raveners  (Read 2290 times)

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Raveners
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:21:27 PM »
 picked up some Raveners via Ebay the other day and I was looking at how to field them. Do you guys think rending claws are the way to go or just let them roll with scything talons for the rerolls? what about thorax weapons?

follow up question- is it worth magnetizing the middle arm to have the rending/scything option?
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
  • The Wonders of Warhammer 40k
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
Re: Raveners
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 06:30:21 AM »
I always use rending claws, although it's worth magnetising them up if you are able, always good to have options :)

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »
yeah, with the thorax weapons being a chest plate i think I might end up glueing them and doing it as "counts as".

Good call on the Rending Nick, if you can magnetize, you should magnetize. rule #1 of model building right?

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
Good call on the Rending Nick, if you can magnetize, you should magnetize. rule #1 of model building right?

The way GW switch things up, it certainly is mate :)

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
Perfect timing for the Raveners discussion, Fritz is rolling the Ravener rant on the youtube channel!

I have always loved Raveners, they are so damn fast! and i think the models look awesome. i think the fine line is deciding how much you want to invest in them.

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »
I magnetized all my warriors and I hate it.  If my bag gets jostled too much I have a ball of limbs and weapons when I get to where I'm playing.   :(  That being said, I love raveners.  I always go with scything talons, getting to reroll all misses in CC is huge.  Rending is great too, maybe I need to take another look.  Thorax weapons are a must now since on the deepstrike they are just gonna eat a turn of shooting otherwise.  Math-hammer says spine fists cause the most wounds on average.
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 11:49:11 AM »
I magnetized all my warriors and I hate it.  If my bag gets jostled too much I have a ball of limbs and weapons when I get to where I'm playing.   :(  That being said, I love raveners.  I always go with scything talons, getting to reroll all misses in CC is huge.  Rending is great too, maybe I need to take another look.  Thorax weapons are a must now since on the deepstrike they are just gonna eat a turn of shooting otherwise.  Math-hammer says spine fists cause the most wounds on average.

You need stronger magnets lol

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
Let's talk more about raveners. T4, 3W, I5 with only a 5+ save. We want them to punk down enemy troops choices. Does acute senses do anything for them? can they even outflank?

Maybe Rending isn't the best way to go. rending only works on a roll of 6 to wound where 2x scything lets me reroll all misses in CC. does anyone want to mathhammer that one?

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »

You need stronger magnets lol

The problem isn't the magnets, it's the fact that they stick up a bit and bump into each other so the weapons stick together.  Once you have one it becomes the strongest magnet in the box and by the time I open it one warrior has dissapeared in a mass of talons, claws, and devourers.  Ugg.  I have enough I've started kitting them out like I play them with dedicated units.  This is all well and good until GW completely changes the rules in the next 'dex.

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 02:28:40 AM »
Let's talk more about raveners. T4, 3W, I5 with only a 5+ save. We want them to punk down enemy troops choices. Does acute senses do anything for them? can they even outflank?

Maybe Rending isn't the best way to go. rending only works on a roll of 6 to wound where 2x scything lets me reroll all misses in CC. does anyone want to mathhammer that one?

I don't know the math, but in my experience, rending always has the scare factor on these guy's, especially with their speed :)

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »

I don't know the math, but in my experience, rending always has the scare factor on these guy's, especially with their speed :)

Math-hammer says with 15 attacks you get 2.96 wounds with 2x scything talons and 3.88 with rending on MEQ (remember mathhammer takes into account wounds after all saves have been made, it does not factor FNP as that is situational).  Against terminators this would be even greater.  I think that since their WS is 5 the only difference is that you rerolling 2s that miss, not as big a deal as I was thinking.   My thinking has been their role.  I generally used genies for the assaulting role against termies and the like.  The ratio drops to 2.5 vs 2.9 if opponent WS is 5+.  So, rending is always better.  I guess I need to change how I view raveners. 

This has become my favorite forum by far.  Very little cursing of GW bussiness practices, very little useless arguments over stuff that doesn't matter (another forum had 6 pages of arguement over whether or not SM had sex!  seriously?!).  On this forum I'm constantly learning new things or taking a look at things from a different angle.  Thank you Fritz!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:46:05 AM by mattblowers »

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 09:57:29 AM »
I wonder where the cut off is for scything/rending. I think if you are going up against 4+ armor and worse it might be better to roll scything? thansk for doign the Math on them by the way!

i think it's all about how you want to use them, I want mine to pick on guys they have a slight advantage against, if i can get them in vs spam troops i am going to try to. I think i'll leave the terminators to the spammable bugs like termagants.

I have also thought about using them as a counter attack unit, keep them back-ish and intercept enemy units that break your lines.

Agreed on the forum- it's been a really cool play to shoot the 40k breeze. although my work productivity has taken a nosedive.