Author Topic: Genestealer theory (ways to make them viable)  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Genestealer theory (ways to make them viable)
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
Without a doubt I find genestealers to get gimped the hardest in 6th edition. There's a lot meaner shooting, and for 14 points a model, a 5+ save makes my face cringe like I just took a chance on squeezing a fart that was a little too wet. Now, other than hug cover for dear life, there is one way I figured they could rock. Have a venomthrope walk along side them, giving them a cover save, and then have a flyrant or swarm lord roll invisibility on the divination table. Maybe even have the brood lord try and roll for iron arm or endurance on the biomancy table. How bout you guys? how would you add livability to Genestealers?
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Khe-Loc

• Inquisitor Lord
  • Red goes faster .... and so does Saim-Hann
    • View Profile
Re: Genestealer theory (ways to make them viable)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:48:30 AM »
I donīt know if itīs really woth it to "waste" power such as invisability or iron arm on your genestealers. Wouldnīt these things be much better suited for the bigger creatures of your army?

Genestealers sufferd hard from both the 5th edition codex and the 6th edition ruleset. I donīt know if there even are ways to make them better other than a completely new codex for nids.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »
Not really. Genestealers put more bodies on the table, more wounds, more target saturation. If I have two genestealer broods rushing out front it offers a good distraction unit for the enemy to chew up. You either focus fire on killing them before they get into close combat or your front line gets chewed up by genestealers while I have rippers burrowing in from behind, a flyrant dropping a heavy venom pie plate on your face, or carnifexes that just arrived from a mysetic spore in your reserves.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Colby

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »
I mean I suppose you could take a broodlord and a thing of 8 or so genestealers and give the broodlord biomancy. That might be fun.

Offline FTGT Evan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • FTGT
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:26:07 PM »
One tactic I've seen with potential is to have a couple decent sized squads infiltrate, keeping them just out of Synapse so they can go to ground if fired on. If they go to ground just outside synapse, the argument goes that moving a synapse creature within 12" of them makes them immediately stand up, allowing them to act normally. Similarly, keeping Dominion on a Tervigon could do the trick. Preferably, if the cover was there, they would move just out of Synapse again and prep for a turn 2 assault, using the same tactic if forced to go to ground. Of course, against Tau, this tactic will be more or less moot.

Offline mattblowers

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »
Not really. Genestealers put more bodies on the table, more wounds, more target saturation. If I have two genestealer broods rushing out front it offers a good distraction unit for the enemy to chew up. You either focus fire on killing them before they get into close combat or your front line gets chewed up by genestealers while I have rippers burrowing in from behind, a flyrant dropping a heavy venom pie plate on your face, or carnifexes that just arrived from a mysetic spore in your reserves.

Sounds good until you remember their aweful save and mediocre toughness.  Everytime I've taken genestealers they have failed to make it to the fight, or they made it with such decreased forces that their presence did nothing.  I just don't see them in the 6th.  I want to, I really do.  I have 60 of the buggers (I used to spam them in the 5th, no one could deal with that many genies) staring at me from my shelf; but as for me that is where they will stay.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:23:33 AM by mattblowers »
Famous last words: "All I have to do is not roll ones...."

Check out my painting blog at http://lilliputianwars.blogspot.com/

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »
I have struggled with this question also....

Mainly becuase I have LOTS of 'stealers, and for the SHOCK TROOPS of the codex they sure...well...suck.

Mainly how the rules have nerfed them.

Y-stealers are where it is at, and they are boss- what stealers should be...

Of course a squad of ten is the same points as a land raider and they burn the every valuable elite slots.

Using regular stealers?

The best results I've had with them as been swarmlord + guard for the HQ with gate to zoom up, and a tervigon HQ to poop out back field troops to hold objectives, and then infiltrate six groups of stealers- size depends on points + broodlord depends on points as far up as they can.

All the stealers plus swarmy go on a killing spree and target opposing scoring troops only to force the opponent not to win the mission on the primary, as my tervigon poops out gaunts to hold stuff.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »
I never thought about giving a swarmlord gate of infinity. That'd be hilarious!

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
Yea, he is the BEST with full guard and gate= BOOM in your face with another flying hive tyrant. Is crazy.

Funny thing is if regular stealers just had a 4+ save and frags or something like that they would be just fine.

Hell, even with just frags they would be fine- a FAQ could have fixed that.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Lublek2

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:57:43 PM »
what about Broodlords? I know genestealers arent really that good right now but.... the broodlord is mastery lvl 1 so couldnt he get some kind of crazy power combo to increase their usefulness.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 12:54:35 AM »
For the brood lord biomancy seems like it would be a good fit. Endurance, iron arm, even warp speed would improve stealers that much more

Offline Lublek2

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »
see i dont really like genestealers but i love the broodlord model! wish he could go with Y-stealers....  :'(