Author Topic: Gun slinging sword brother  (Read 2193 times)

Offline SlithyToves

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Gun slinging sword brother
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:31:09 AM »
I've been reevaluating my little objective holding crusaders and started to consider a sword brother with dual plasma pistols.  I've been rolling a few dice around and no wounds yet.  I'm wondering if anyone's tried this, not necessarily at a tournament, but more competitively than moving around a few guys at the house?  Thanks!
"You who so plod amid serious things that you feel it shame to give yourself up even for a few short moments to mirth and joyousness . . . these pages are not for you."

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
Re: Gun slinging sword brother
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
Do Sword Brothers automatically get the Gunslinger USR or is this just a massive misinterpretation.. Or have I misinterpreted it..

Upon further inspection I don't know why I thought it was a USR o.o

I think this would probably work well, I mean it's double the chance to Gets Hot and restricted to within 12" but other than that I don't see any why nots. I suppose I haven't had any experience with Marine Plasma either so I can't say a lot. This is interesting.. Hope someone else posts!
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
For fun? sure. I would not spend that many pointes on it tho.
Support me on the Patreon Page:
http://patreon.com/skaredcast

make sure you check out my blog:
http://skaredcast.blogspot.com
youtube channel
http://youtube.com/skaredcast

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
I dunno, I think the idea actually sounds pretty cool. give em a plasma and a grav pistol and you have a pretty mean ranged character killer.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »
Gunslinger is not a USR its a basic rule of the games itself. Angel any model with two oistols can shoot them both. Its not even listed wit the usr. Its on a page in the rules section.

Offline Ironhammer

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
Well it'll make termies think twice about deep striking near you.  That in itself is a good enough reason to try it out.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
I agree with Harry, though I would tend toward dual grav pistols.  No chance of killing yourself, AP2, same cost and 80% chance it wounds on 2+ save models.  Plus!  If you wound a big bad guy before a charge it's concussive so he's I1 for that first assault phase.  Add to this that your Sword Brother is a character, so any 6's are precision shots - though an enemy character could just look out sir them away most likely.

The big down side is that your Sword Brother can't then do very much in the following close combat because he has no power weapon - just pistols S4 AP- in melee.  It could work well if you have another character in your squad that can then challenge the enemy character.  He's wounded already and and has I1 for the first round of the challenge.  That's big.

So...I would do it in a character hunting squad that has it's own attached character to make the challenge, but not otherwise.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 03:52:07 AM »
Power weapons aren't that big a deal for challenges for us any more. we reroll hits and have rending in challenges. That's why my next Marshal character is going to be a gunslinger. Bladed Plasma pistol and a bladed grav pistol.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »
Dirty Harry.. you never cease creating awesome things!! That would be spectacular! Although I wonder if you still get +1A for having two close combat weapons because they're both pistols o.o..
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
Yes u do. Pistols count as cc wpns

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
Yeah, two close combat weapons. Shame you can never get anything more than +1 A despite having more arms or weapons.