Author Topic: Items needed for playing warhammer:40k  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Items needed for playing warhammer:40k
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
Here is a list of items you will need to play warhammer 40k regardless of what army you choose to play.

- Warhammer 40k 6th edition rulebook
 - Dice
 - Warhammer 40k templates
 - Tape measure (any imperial scale tape measure (feet and inches))
 - Your codex
 - Your models
 - A carry case for your models
 - A place to play, be it a dining room table or floor, all the way to a special gaming table.
 - Some terrain, either self made terrain, bought terrain or simply tin cans and stuff laying around the house
 - Someone to play with  :)

After you have these items you have all that is needed to play a game of Warhammer 40k, good luck.

Note: Games Workshop sell all these needed products http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp , however if you shop around you may be able to get certain things for cheaper elsewhere.

Happy Wargaming

Hawk  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:41:39 AM by Hawkeye299 »

Offline AussieOrk

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Items needed for playing warhammer:40k
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »
Great idea for this thread mate.....

Note: Games Workshop sell all these needed products http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp , however if you shop around you may be able to get certain things for cheaper elsewhere.

Not may....definitely will save.....GW love pulling your wallet up through your throat....LOL...
WAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH

Offline mam2087

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »
I would also suggest looking into and investing in carrying cases / transport for your stuff.  Nothing more annoying than trying to get you models from here to there and it's a choir.   

If you intend to play at the game shop this is almost a necessity.  Ease of transport does wonders when you're deciding if it's worth it to head out to the club and play.   Plus it's a great way to keep track of your stuff.   A place for everything and everything in it's place.    Loosing your stuff sucks !

The carrying case also conveys a sense of respect and commitment.   Having single case where that can easily be pushed out of the way as opposed to some joker bringing in  a couple cardboard boxes, is greatly appreciated by your fellow gamers.   I think it shows a level of commitment to the hobby that says "Yes I care enough t take care of my things and treat them right."  People can respect that. :)

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
I would rank terrain, and Tables fairly low unless you have no local club or store.  I own enough terrain to play on my dinning room table, but usually play at a store or club.  So until you have a full army, save on the terrain and table space...unless you already have it.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
I would rank terrain, and Tables fairly low unless you have no local club or store.  I own enough terrain to play on my dinning room table, but usually play at a store or club.  So until you have a full army, save on the terrain and table space...unless you already have it.

That is why I said a dining room table/floor for a gaming table and tin cans and stuff laying about for terrain since these options are free alternate versions of what you need to play.

Hawk  ;D

Offline Htedomsa

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:57:51 PM »
on dice I got one of those 36 blocks of D6 from Chessex and it works pretty nice, was like 13-14$ at my local store.

Offline Alfalpharius

• Initiate
  • Adeptus Doritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:27 AM »
Random tips for new players:

1- If you know someone who works in any industrial areas (construction, plumbing, carpentry)- hit them up for your tape measure.  A lot of contractors literally give away pocket-sized tape measures with their business information on them. 

2- If you're in the market for a table, look into used ping-pong tables.  Ask at a recreation center if they have one they're trying to get rid of, because chances are they have one that's not 'game-worthy' any more.  I was able to score one for $30.00.

3- Dice Game Depot sells 100 multicolored dice for ~$20.00.  Anywhere you can buy bulk dice, go for it.  You can never have too many, and if they're different colors- that's great.

4- Carrying cases are great.  If you can't afford that, then learn to cut some foam and get one of the $20.00 DeWalt Toolboxes from Wal-Mart.  Eggshell mattress foam works good for miniatures, too.  As a matter of fact- in a pinch, egg cartons can do just fine for individual troops.

5- Carry a notebook.  Seriously, I do this all the time.  Write names of people you play with that were cool (and the bad ones, too), jot down rules you aren't familiar with, do your maths, take notes on the strengths and weaknesses of other armies/units, create a 'need' list, track game information, etc. 

6- When you can, bring some drinks.  Offering an opponent a water or soda tends to make a good impression and keep you as 'that pretty nice guy'.

Offline Htedomsa

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »
You know it's not said often enough but I second the bring a notebook suggestion above. So many times in the hobby when being able to jot something down is useful. Plus it's cool if you keep a record of old game stats to look through and see your progression.

Offline Ragimund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »
- protractor for measuring the firing arcs of vehicles
- laserpen for determening line of sights