Author Topic: Getting started with CSM  (Read 1784 times)

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Getting started with CSM
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »
Hello Warmasters,

One of the guys in our small gaming group is having a tough time with his CSM. He is really struggling to build a list that can compete with the other guys in the group. The armies he mostly faces are Eldar, Tyranids, IG, Grey Knights, and Tau. We have a very small group and are completely isolated so our meta is a bit different than the normal tourney meta. I want ot do what i can to help him so he enjoys the game a bit more.

The biggest things he's struggling with is he's not able to maintian critical mass on his units due to small model counts and high points costs per model.

In order to keep it simple and get him started off on the road to list building, what basic tips do you CSM players have for him to get going?
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started with CSM
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »
IMO, if he's just starting, encourage him to run Typhus + Zombie blob, Nurgle Obliterators, a Hell Drake, Nurgle bikers, nurgle spawn (maybe nurgle, maybe not), and 2 minimum sized plague marines with 2 plasma in each, with or without rhinos. The strategy and tactics are fairly simple. The units are all fairly durable.

Nurgle is a gateway drug, amirite?
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »
haha you might be right. I don't think he feels strongly toward any particular chaos god so maybe Nurgle isn't a bad place for him to start.

Offline Fagerlund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • 40K BatReps
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »
What kind of stuff is he having all ready? The thing with CSM is that you generally need to have a plan with your army from the start, and every unit needs to fill it's role. Basically you chose a playstyle and then pick the units that fits the style. So what does he have, and what does he want to play?

Looking at those opponents I'm thinking two Vindicators might be a good addition, unless he wants to play an assaulty army. If that's what he wants, maybe two Maulerfiends with Lasher Tendrils (to stand a chance against all those possible MC's that seem to be around your meta) might be something. Obliterators are pretty much always a good choice in any army.
Check out my battle reports!
http://40kbatreps.blogspot.se/
Combined with some various hobby stuff from time to time.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »
i know he has the following:

1 heldrake
2 forge fiends
1 land raider
the DV chaos army
5 terminators
1-2 defilers

trying to get the rest of his list.

Offline FalleN

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
Has he tried bringing allies? Chaos Daemons and Imperial Guard can work well with Chaos Marines.

Also Noise Marines might be good in that meta as he is only is facing one power armour army. Noise Marines with Sonic blasters and blasmasters to take away some of those cover saves. Has he tried nurgle spawn packs lead by a nurgle lord on a bike with a couple Maulerfiends instead of the forge fiends. Rhinos with dirge casters to help protect against overwatch. Definitely some Obliterators
Sorry, IMO it can be kinda hard for some chaos armys especially compared to some of the newer Codexes.
"Our time will come again, Eldrad has promised us. Once more you upstart Mon-keigh[spits] shall kneel before our power! This time we will not be so lenient!"

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Yeah right now he is trying some Noise Marines at my suggestion from a while back. I guess they were FAQ'd that you can have 2x blastmasters in a 10 man squad.

Offline xDalee

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
Yeah right now he is trying some Noise Marines at my suggestion from a while back. I guess they were FAQ'd that you can have 2x blastmasters in a 10 man squad.

100% always better to take them as 5 man squads, double the troop power and can shoot at different targets
Regards,

Dalee~

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:33:43 PM »
do they last ok at 5 man? i'm always afraid of CSM withouth ATSKNF. Is that a kneejerk reaction on my part?

in a foot list are they just 2nd line supporting fire? i think he is running 10 in a rhino right now.

sorry for my Noobery, CSM tactics seem quite different in many ways to regular SM.

Offline xDalee

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
doesnt matter, both are the same there are only advantages as running them as 5 and dnt take rhinos waste of points then need to just shoot not move around if you have 4/6 squads you wont need mobility they should already be there and spread out  8)
Regards,

Dalee~