Author Topic: New Templars Tactica Thread  (Read 10062 times)

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: New Templars Tactica Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 06:01:38 AM »
Alright guys, I wanna pick your brains about a list I was drafting.

BT 1850

HQ:

Chaplain Grimaldus 185 pts
Servitor Retinue 30 pts

Troop:

Crusader Squad 265 pts
20 man powerfist, bolt pistol, chainsword, combat blade, grenades,

Crusader Squad 265 pts
20 man powerfist, bolt pistol, chainsword, combat blade, grenades,

Crusader Squad 145 pts
9 man
sword brother has power maul, combi weapon, grenades
initiates have a plasma gun, bolters, bolt pistols, grenades,
neophytes have shotguns, bolt pistols and grenades
drop pod 35 pts

Crusader Squad 145 pts
9 man
sword brother has power maul, combi weapon, grenades
initiates have a plasma gun, bolters, bolt pistols, grenades,
neophytes have shotguns, bolt pistols and grenades
drop pod 35 pts

Fast attack

Bike squad 160 pts
sword brother on bike with power lance
2 bikes with grav guns
2 bikes

Bike squad 160 pts
sword brother on bike with power lance
2 bikes with grav guns
2 bikes

Elite

assault terminator squad 225 pts
thunderhammer stormshield

Heavy support

stormraven gunship 200 pts
assault cannon, multimelta

I really haven't had a chance to put the new Grimaldus on the table yet and I'd like to try him out by sticking him in a unit of servitors and having him lead a charge of 20 man blob squads. In the presence of him and his servitors, my blob squads are fearless, have hatred, a 6+ invul, and can endure a lot of damage with t4 and a 4+/3+ save. I'm already rolling a lot of dice when I use those guys in close combat, having that extra umph on the charge will be reminiscent of old Black Templars feel. The bike squads and drop pod squads SHOULD provide adequate board presence when moving forward into enemy lines. Still unsure of what the combi weapons on the sword brothers will be, because I'm torn between combi flamer and combi melta. The storm raven will sit in my reserve with my drop pod units and house my assault terminator squad. Pretty basic principles.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »
I like the list. Tactically tho I think you would be lacking in the threat dept early in the game. You need some more long range AT to crack open transports...
Support me on the Patreon Page:
http://patreon.com/skaredcast

make sure you check out my blog:
http://skaredcast.blogspot.com
youtube channel
http://youtube.com/skaredcast

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
Aye. And what about an orbit bomb atk? Whats ur army guna do turn one if an enemy chapmast blasts at u guys? Hes guna wipe somethin with the amount of bodies you hav on the table he cant miss... jus somethin else to watch out for.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 01:43:24 AM »
Yeah, my list building has always suffered a lack of heavy fire support. I don't run devastators on principles of fluff, and I get tired of my predator tanks getting melta'd turn 1. Soooo I'm taking a chance with a flier.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
Im thinking the best crusader squad will be a 5/5 bolter armed PG, poweraxe unit. In a rhino.

youtube channel

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 08:10:37 PM »
Okay ladies and gentlemen, let's discuss a potential way to run dreadnoughts in the black templars fashion. How would we go about using these metal monsters to help wage war in glorious close combat? In the previous book our dreadnoughts benefitted from some of the vows, could be upgraded to have furious charge and or tank hunter. In this instance they can't take advantage of chapter tactics but now we have ironclads. So far the drop pod dreadnought has been my go-to for getting across the table unharmed, but I must ask of you guys; how else can we deploy these bad boys?

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
Iron Clad all the way. Its cheap to put a double heavy flamer iron clad in a pod.

youtube channel

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
My personal fav and always gets his points back is the irondpod. An ironclad dread with a meltagun and 2 krak missiles, ironclad assault launchers(always) and a chainfist. He is all templar in my mind. Comes dwn turn 1 evry game and puts a melta and 2kraks to anything I want in the rear or side armor. He is a big enuff threat to anything short of a huge blob that he cannot b ignored. But I always take the deathwind on his pod as well to help with the blobs. It makes its points back 9 out of ten of my games. Highly effective combo there.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »
hopefully this Christmas I can get myself a stormraven, and maybe a stormtalon. I know putting a dreadnought in that would tie up about 500 pts but having all of that come on T2 and just BRING THE PAIN.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »
U kno what happens when that icarus las canon gets a lucky pen and kills ur raven the turn it arrives right harry?

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »
Yep, I make my 5+ jink save and laugh because it was only one shot that lascannon took at me.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
Or it pens. U crash and explode takin a str10 hit to ur rear armor and str10 ap2 hit to all other occupants. Not to mention tha flyer may not turn up till turn 5 in the worst case scenario. For 500+pts to b out till turn5 is an unacceptable risk dnt u think? Perhaps not I guess.. I wouldnt do it but  it could wrk I suppose.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 03:44:25 AM »
... Except in 6th edition all reserves come on the table by T4. T2 it's a 3+ to roll reserves in the first place.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »
No not t4 its t5 that they auto come on. And iv seen plenty including my self simply fail to get it out before then. T1 u cnt even try to get em out.. so ur talkin t2 or very possibly t3 before u get ur 500pts in. Jus silly brother.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
"At the start of your turn 3, roll for units remaining in reserve. If the roll is a 3 or more, that unit arrives this turn. If the roll is less than 3 it remains in reserve and automatically arrives at the start of turn 4," BRB pg 124.

In short, T2, 3+ T3, 3+, T4 automatically comes on.