Author Topic: Find me a use for the hellbrute?  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Find me a use for the hellbrute?
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »
Starting to revamp my Death Guard, and I've got two DV hellbrute models.....

Well, it seems that hellbrutes kind of suck, so what to do with them- and if they don't kind of suck why?

Convert them to daemon princes and use allies from the Chaos Daemons codex?
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Find me a use for the hellbrute?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »
IF you wanted to do a lot of coversion you could also convert them to represent Broadsides and ally in Tau....but Daemon Princes would also work.  It is tough they are cool models but just like most other dreads...not all that great.

Offline Fagerlund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • 40K BatReps
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »
What, "looking pretty on a shelf" isn't good enough use for you? :P

I'd run with twin-linked lascannon as support in a otherwise mech-oriented build. Adds both armour saturation and some long range support in a force org-slot that isn't used for much else anyway.

It looks to have nice CC-options... but it's a trap. You never want a Walker in CC. So shooty it is.
Check out my battle reports!
http://40kbatreps.blogspot.se/
Combined with some various hobby stuff from time to time.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »
Walkers in close combat kind of scare me- most stuff I want to assault can deal with it by krak grenades- maybe it is just bad experience on my part.

Hellbrute = deamonprince seems to be the vote.

HB model looks so good, but is just so meh on table.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
I agree AV 12 or less walkers in the assault are Meh, Now AV 13 walkers....  I mean statistically 10 Marines against a helbrute, should only average 1 glance per round, but the helbrute does not really tear them up, and that assumes no Powerfist, or Power maul etc...and no hot roll.  But that also assumes the Helbrute ever gets there in the first place....foot slogging as the only option really hurts as well.

Offline xDalee

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »
they would be a lot better if they got an "iron clad" variant and some drop pods(assault pods i think they are generally called for chaos) but chaos didnt get any of that love so thus they are useless unless used for a cheap gun base, but yh conversions seems to be the way to go, shame there is no plastic kit for them seems a bit silly in my point of view :P
Regards,

Dalee~

Offline Bowlzee

• Keeper of Secrets
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Slave to Slaanesh
    • View Profile
    • Slave To Slaanesh
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »
they would be a lot better if they got an "iron clad" variant and some drop pods(assault pods i think they are generally called for chaos) but chaos didnt get any of that love so thus they are useless unless used for a cheap gun base, but yh conversions seems to be the way to go, shame there is no plastic kit for them seems a bit silly in my point of view :P

Chaos in general need drop pods...

Never understood how all those legions suddenly forgot how to assault in a drop pod... If the CSM codex had access to one, it would make for a much better codex.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
I could have sword Chaos did have a Drop Pod called the Dreadclaw or something like that, but I can't find it on the Forgeworld site... very strange indeed...
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline Bowlzee

• Keeper of Secrets
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Slave to Slaanesh
    • View Profile
    • Slave To Slaanesh
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »
They removed the model from the site as the mould had started failing. I believe they are working on a new mould due soon.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:21:40 PM by Bowlzee »

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 02:28:22 AM »
Ohh right I remember reading that.. What with the new way Forgeworld words its notification "Let your opponent know" rather than "ask your opponent if it's okay"

You'd have a nice delivery system~
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline Ironhammer

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 04:00:17 AM »
I'm not a chaos player, but I just played a game against one and he brought a duel heavy flamer helbrute against me.  It survived the entire game and was wrecking my back line by turn 3 or 4.  The reason it was able to get there was because he had brought other vehicles and elite troops that demanded my immediate attention, thus distracting my anti-vehicle troops long enough to get to grips with me.

If you ever field  them, bring threats that are so big that the helbrute just "disappears" so to speak.  It's an AV 12  3HP model so it's just durable enough to be a pain to destroy.  Your opponent will then have to make the decision to fire at the lascannon predator that's been sniping their terminators, the unit of 20 khorne zerkers that just outflanked and is running at their main line, the unit of 30 horrors that just dropped down, or the helbrute that is steadily moving up.   

Offline Rivetlicker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »
Convert with different weapons?

I'm not overly fond of the loadout of a stock brute. Multimelta + CCW are fine and all, but there's a few other options that aren't overly expensive. I tacked 2 barrels on the multimelta and 2 rocket cones to the fist (with fingers cut/sanded off) to turn it into a Autocannon/missle brute. Seems to have more potential for a few extra points IMO.

Offline Bowlzee

• Keeper of Secrets
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Slave to Slaanesh
    • View Profile
    • Slave To Slaanesh
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »
Convert with different weapons?

I'm not overly fond of the loadout of a stock brute. Multimelta + CCW are fine and all, but there's a few other options that aren't overly expensive. I tacked 2 barrels on the multimelta and 2 rocket cones to the fist (with fingers cut/sanded off) to turn it into a Autocannon/missle brute. Seems to have more potential for a few extra points IMO.

Love your conversion! simple but very effective

Offline xDalee

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 01:28:48 AM »
Well as helbrutes(dreads) effectiveness depends on drop pods or a raven in my opinion unless its psyfle dreads
I'm not a chaos player, but I just played a game against one and he brought a duel heavy flamer helbrute against me.  It survived the entire game and was wrecking my back line by turn 3 or 4.  The reason it was able to get there was because he had brought other vehicles and elite troops that demanded my immediate attention, thus distracting my anti-vehicle troops long enough to get to grips with me.

If you ever field  them, bring threats that are so big that the helbrute just "disappears" so to speak.  It's an AV 12  3HP model so it's just durable enough to be a pain to destroy.  Your opponent will then have to make the decision to fire at the lascannon predator that's been sniping their terminators, the unit of 20 khorne zerkers that just outflanked and is running at their main line, the unit of 30 horrors that just dropped down, or the helbrute that is steadily moving up.   

That would have been in your backline at turn one if it was a space marine player I doubt having other big things and getting the brute to U was his overall strategy but they are way more scary with drop pods
Regards,

Dalee~

Offline Ironhammer

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
That's the thing that's wrong with a drop pod dreadnought.  It's too scary for it's own good.  As soon as it touches down, it's dead.   If you have one foot slogging with some blood letters, some spawn and a chaos lord, it's not that appealing of a target.  I've played a drop pod dreadnought, and he got a turn of shooting before getting wiped off the table.   The problem is that the dreadnought doesn't have enough firepower for one turn of shooting to make him worth it.  Dreadnoughts have their close combat prowess factored into their points cost which is wasted if you just plan on shooting with them.  You're better off taking a predator if you want to shoot.  That being said, it all comes down to the delivery system for getting the helbrute/dread into combat.  Chaos has two options:  outflank/infiltrate (via warlord trait) or foot slogging.  Both give your opponent ample time to shoot at it; so, like I said before, you need distractions.  Once the helbrute gets into combat though, he wrecks just about anything considering people aren't gearing up to take out walkers in assault.

I think the helbrute is viable, but it requires a lot of planning, maneuvering, and deception.