Author Topic: Magnetising metal.  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Rick17126

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetising metal.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 04:10:43 PM »
In theory, the force (pull) of a magnet to magnet bond is essentially the same as magnet to metal bond when they are in contact.

The advantage of magnet to magnet bond is that it is stronger than the magnet to metal bond, if there is some separation between the two (air, paint layers, sealant, etc.).

With plastics, I keep the spacing thin (maybe a layer of paint and them sealant), with metal I keep the faces clean as a whistle and I have few issues besides hiding them at times.

When using multiple magnets you will get more bang for the buck if you use them in a parallel formation (side by side pulling in the same direction) and not in a series or stack formation (one on top of the other).

Also of import is that when using lots of magnets on one model arrange them so as many of them as possible have their poles aligned in the same direction. For example my wave serpents have 4 sets of magnets for the turret weapon mounts (shell > weapon 1 > turret base > weapon 2 > shell) and the turret base has one that matches (^) to one mounted into the hull(^), on the bottom of the hull I have two sets holding the cannon or catapult oriented the same way (^).

My Support Batteries are all metal and I use two sets of 1.5 mm x 3 mm cylinder type magnets (in a parallel formation) per model to make 2 magnetic "pins" for each unit. 

Offline Auron2030

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Cheers Rick, good to know - I'm keeping the magnets unpainted on my metal minis now and having much better results than the multiple layers of varnish, etc that I was going with previously. :)

Offline MRmehman

• Battle Brother
  • DENY TEH WITCH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
I am not sure I 100% am getting what the problem is, but if you need more power for the magnets, just glue another magnet to the magnets you already have, it with make them stronger

A gluing a magnet to a magnet?... Reminds me of a certain Inception joke...
All seriousness though, I haven't magnetised anything yet but from what I can see it can sometimes make or break a model. 
TEH BANEBLADZ, THERE EVERYWHERE!!!