Author Topic: Object Source Lighting; Brush vs. Airbrush  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Brutaluhtor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Object Source Lighting; Brush vs. Airbrush
« on: December 24, 2013, 11:52:44 PM »
Hello Everyone. 

I've recently begun painting my Necron army, and I am very fond of the object source lighting effect.  I've looked at tutorials utilizing both a standard brush, and an airbrush, and it seems like the airbrush is far more efficient, faster, and yields better effects. 

I currently use a standard brush set up, and was wondering if there are any experienced painters out there who can testify on this subject.  I've never used an airbrush before, and part of me believes it isn't really any easier, as these guys obviously know what they're doing.  I'm not much of an artist, you see, and I don't have as much time to practice painting as I would like.

I'm going to add a couple of pictures showcasing my first attempt at the effect, on a Necron Overlord. 

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say. 

Cheers.

Offline apachiie

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Object Source Lighting; Brush vs. Airbrush
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:48:12 AM »
The main difference I can see is that the gradients you can get out of airbrushes is really smooth, but I do all my painting with a brush, and have gotten some pretty good OSL, for yours only suggestion I have is to try starting with a darker color on the weapon and work up to almost pure white, I've gotten some good results that way and it gives a more realistic looking glow to the source.  your stuff is looking good so far though.
-JD

Offline Brutaluhtor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »
Yeah, I watched a video of a guy painting a plasma cannon with an airbrush.  Took him like 5 minutes and it came out looking amazing.  The blending capabilities seem a lot more efficient than with a standard brush. 

I also need to work on getting some more paint, I'm using Lothern Blue and skull white at the moment.  All the painters I've watched on youtube use Vallejo brand paints, but they only sell Citadel paints at my local game store. 

If anyone has a suggestion on which colors to use, I would appreciate it greatly. 

Thanks for your time, and happy holidays. 

Offline apachiie

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
That's exactly what I run into I can get Citadel and model master where I'm at, but I am a huge fan of the citadel paints, they have served me well for the most part.  Never felt like I needed to try out other stuff but I am interested in picking up some Valejo Model air metalics, they're supposed to be pretty swell.  I think if you're not going to have a lot of time to practice ya might be better off to just stick with the brush, it'll be easier to master.  For now I would say practice on plasma gunners, you can pick em up for dirt cheap from Ebay thanks to dark vengeance, just try as many different styles as possible, you might find some colors are easier than others.

Good luck!  OSL gets really addicting really fast and adds a lot to models.
-JD

Offline Brutaluhtor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 09:23:08 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.  I actually purchased Dark Vengeance, since I havent truly "settled" on a particular army yet, so I think I will start toying around with those models. 

I'll do some tinkering, and hopefully have some nice results to show for it in the near future. 

Thanks for you help, cheers. 

Offline refusedroidnotoperational

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:05:17 AM »
Good luck with your new airbrush hope it works out.

I bought a good all round 0.3mm airbrush for christmas and im using it for priming. And a few basic techniques so far.

From my research for 28mm minis (anything smaller than terminators for instance) an airbrush with 0.2mm diameter is needed to do really smooth blends. From a distance an 0.3mm will look fine but as with all airbrushes the blending is radial (circular) so some lighting techniques will you to go back in and put a shear or direction on the blend to get what you want. And even with an airbrush more layers == smoother otherwise you'll see dithering.

It all depends on what you're aiming for. I fired up my new airbrush and did some transitions on a spare falcon gravtank and it certainly is quicker then doing overhead lighting with a brush. But i can blend better then my airbrushing at the moment for display quality stuff. On the other hand i would definately paint armies with an airbrush could potentially save weeks of painting.

Here are a few ideas of how to do higher quality stuff with an airbrush. Note: edge highlighting, shading,  higlighting, washes etc are still done a lot with these kinds of paintjobs to compliment the airbrush work.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.626303510763893.1073741947.436491416411771&type=1

or for gw minis:

http://volomir.blogspot.fr/2009/09/brother-fonsel-step-by-step.html

Offline Brutaluhtor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 02:06:42 AM »
Happy New Year everyone.

I've been doing some more work on my Necrons, and I've begun to get some pretty good results drybrushing.  I find that it's much easier to blend colors, and that the simple whisking motion really helps pick out the spots that should get highlighted. 

compared to the first pictures I shared, I think it's loads better.  Not that I'm an overnight professional or anything, and I still think an airbrush would make this x1000 easier.  But, for anyone else who really likes this look and wants to try it, just grab 2 like colors + white, and experiment with dry brushing. 

I'm also working on some Immortals, that I'll share once complete as well if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

Offline Brutaluhtor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 04:58:34 AM »
Welp, I finished an Immortal, so here you all go.