Author Topic: How to Play Ulthwé  (Read 9376 times)

Offline GhostGlaive

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: How to Play Ulthwé
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »
A Beil Tan supplement would be amazing I actual plan on modeling my 1850 pt Menaan army aspect and transport heavy like the green puriest, but I have been super tempted to get some storm guardians. I regards to your trouble painting black lines try painting them ulthuan grey, then wash heavy with nulin oil to get the black in the armour recesses, put another coat of ulthuan grey on the plates and use white scar for highlights. Honestly these new washes are amazing! I do something similar for my war walkers which are almost done and I shall post pics soon currently on walker 3/3.  Man I really like the idea of your articles looking at fluff for specific craftworld warhost it would be interesting look at less known ones like Altansar, Yme-loc, and il-kaithe and see what we come up with.

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
A Beil Tan supplement would be amazing I actual plan on modeling my 1850 pt Menaan army aspect and transport heavy like the green puriest, but I have been super tempted to get some storm guardians. I regards to your trouble painting black lines try painting them ulthuan grey, then wash heavy with nulin oil to get the black in the armour recesses, put another coat of ulthuan grey on the plates and use white scar for highlights. Honestly these new washes are amazing! I do something similar for my war walkers which are almost done and I shall post pics soon currently on walker 3/3.  Man I really like the idea of your articles looking at fluff for specific craftworld warhost it would be interesting look at less known ones like Altansar, Yme-loc, and il-kaithe and see what we come up with.

Hm, not a bad idea, How to Play Minor Craftworlds could be done... Will think about it (I really like Il'Kaithe and Yme-Loc, but I guess there's not much to be written about these craftworlds, not enough material for articles for every single one of them - although Il'Kaithe has great story written in the old fan-made Macharian Crusade supplement, with even few unique units). Right now, I can't even find the time to finish the part of this article regarding possible rosters  :(

As for the painting - no, the new black wash is absolutely terrible for my painting  :( I used to paint my space elfs with Chaos Black, give them heavy highlight with Codex Grey, wash with... eh... Badab Black, I guess it was. After that, more subtle highlight with Codex Grey, another wash and final highlight with Codex Grey. When GW discontinued the old paints, I had to rethink the proces, as I can't replace my Codex Grey pot, which is slowly but steady disappearing. So I started with more advanced (but also more time consuming) path and I mix the paints, adding layers of Black-Black-Grey, Black-Grey, Black-Grey-Grey and Grey. But still, it's inevitable that one day my Codex Grey will dry out and after that, I am f*cked - there's not a proper equivalent for this paint in the new GW line :( :( :(
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Offline Bhazakhain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
Really interesting post. I'm getting back into 40k and am building an Ulthwe force. Currently at about 1,500 to 2,000 pts. Would be interested to go through some tactics, and also to weight up Guardian use (four units of ten or two units of twenty. Do they move up together etc.).

I am keeping it fluffy, but I will be including a Crimson Hunter and eventually Sytheguard in a Wave Serpent.

Offline Bhazakhain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »
Thought this post was worth a little bump owing to rumours of a potential Ulthwe Strike Force on the horizon.

So what are people's thoughts on Guardian tactics. Specifically which platforms to include and whether to go 10 or 20 Guardians etc...

Can Warlocks roll for powers before being allocated now?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:50:42 PM by Bhazakhain »

Offline MBrenizer

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 03:29:57 AM »
I've run a 20-man squad with 2 platforms, but I prefer 2 10-man. More flexibility.

Most of the time, though, my guardians are on bikes. I figure black guardians can ride bikes, too, just with more warlock support in ulthwe.

Offline Bhazakhain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 07:26:19 AM »
Ah I see. I'm tempted to run two 20 strong units with a Farseer in each. Both with a brightlance and missile launcher. Thing is, because of some tournament winner somewhere, a lot of people run two blobs with two brightlances, but I don't want to flow suit because of that. Might bury a Farseer in a 20 blob and have two other 10 strong units for more flexibility with the second Farseer elsewhere - maybe in a small foot Seer Council.

Obviously Warlocks in everything. I read somewhere that in 7th you roll for Warlock powers BEFORE allocating them to units, which I hope is true?

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »
It is worth noting that that the strike force was all about the webway portal, avatar with warlock body guards and dark reapers, it wasn't even tangentially connected to how the typical Ulthwe craftworld plays.
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline Bhazakhain

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »
Good point. I didn't realise the Avatar got involved though. Always wondered why craftworlders don't get Webway portals.

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
Ya, Eldrad sacrificed himself, and the avatar lead the battles. They do have the seer council, which I didn't realize, ah for the good old days when you got 2 farseers and 3 warlocks for less than a hundred points...

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 01:05:39 AM »
Ya, Eldrad sacrificed himself, and the avatar lead the battles. They do have the seer council, which I didn't realize, ah for the good old days when you got 2 farseers and 3 warlocks for less than a hundred points...

Eh, actually:

"Prior to the massive battle, the Farseer (= Eldrad) splintered his consciousness into many waystones that would be utilized by his lieutenants to marshal and guide the Eldar war effort. Eldrad was at the forefront, knowing he would not live to see the end of the conflict"

So no, Ulthwé Warhost in times of the Black Crusade was still lead by the Seer council (which was subsequently lead by Eldrad himself). So much for fluff. I did not check the rules for Ulthwé Strike Force in the Black Crusade book (do not have this one available), so I am limited to 3e "Craftworld Eldar" book and that one old apocalypse formation  :(

But yeah, Avatar kinda makes sense. Although can't see him conflicting with "how the typical Ulthwe craftworld plays". As I imagine the typical craftworld host, it would look most like the old Footdar army. Avatar and three Wraithlords, that was common in these (now ancient) days, right?

Speaking of the campaign-specific army list, Ulthwé Avatar could really be accompanied by host of Warlocks?  :o Interesting idea!

And hell yeah, I want my Webway Portals. Looking with envy to our dark cousins...
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
"Prior to the massive battle, the Farseer (= Eldrad) splintered his consciousness into many waystones that would be utilized by his lieutenants to marshal and guide the Eldar war effort. Eldrad was at the forefront, knowing he would not live to see the end of the conflict"

So no, Ulthwé Warhost in times of the Black Crusade was still lead by the Seer council (which was subsequently lead by Eldrad himself). So much for fluff. I did not check the rules for Ulthwé Strike Force in the Black Crusade book (do not have this one available), so I am limited to 3e "Craftworld Eldar" book and that one old apocalypse formation

I'd suggest you read the actual source, the seer council might've been guiding what was going on, but it was the avatar who was at the forefront of the strike force. (Though, yes, way stones were a thing, though they were a thing no one actually ever cared for or used.)

But yeah, Avatar kinda makes sense. Although can't see him conflicting with "how the typical Ulthwe craftworld plays". As I imagine the typical craftworld host, it would look most like the old Footdar army. Avatar and three Wraithlords, that was common in these (now ancient) days, right? 

It was common, but not in the Ulthwe strikeforce, which couldn't take wraithlords. Or wave serpents. Or falcons. Or multiple units of aspect warriors (other than dark reapers).

Speaking of the campaign-specific army list, Ulthwé Avatar could really be accompanied by host of Warlocks?  :o Interesting idea!

Yeah, in fact, the only 2 HQ options for the army were "Avatar with warlock body guard" and "seer council".

And hell yeah, I want my Webway Portals. Looking with envy to our dark cousins...

There's no need to be envious, come on over, torture a few thousand people, see if you like it. We have cookies made from the souls of our enemies.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
I don't know if i'd be unhappy if those two HQ options were what came out of an Ulthwe Strike Force Supplement or Dataslate.. Seer Council ought to have some pretty wonderful rules and all that Runes of Battle on the Avatar.. Well.. throw in a Webway portal and i'm scared already..
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline Dr_Drake

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 07:47:18 AM »
Hello I´m new but i want to add that a Avatar is common Unit in the Ulthwe army. You can check the lore of Ulthwe. There is told they have an Avatar.

p.s. sorry for my bad English i am German.

Greetings Tim
40K Armies:

Blood Angels
Eldar (Ulthwe)

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »
Hello I´m new but i want to add that a Avatar is common Unit in the Ulthwe army. You can check the lore of Ulthwe. There is told they have an Avatar.

p.s. sorry for my bad English i am German.

Greetings Tim

According to the fluff, every craftworld has its own Avatar  ;) Also, according to the fluff, every of the five major craftworlds is so large, it can field virtually everything and it would be ok, as I said.

Sorry for my lack of interest in my Ulthwé lately, I give my entire 40k energy to the new Harlequins, lol  ;D

Also, welcome to the forum, Tim the German  :)

Offline Shadow Captain Proteus

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
I believe they called the Avatar and warlocks the Spear of Khaine. I never used that combo, I actually stuck with the seer council and ran a boat load of guardians.

On to the original topic-I'm re vamping my Ulthwe now that the new codex is out. My Raven Guard are getting a little boring :/  I've posted an army list in the "lists" board and am looking for feedback. Planning on running a guardian heavy host led by a farseer, with plenty of warlocks and only a single aspect. Trying out some wraithblades in a serpent for hitting power.

-SCP
"We are all Raven Guard. We are all warriors. The Emperor will not judge you by your medals and diplomas but by your scars. That is not a platitude; it is the reality of what we are."
-Corax.