Author Topic: What is best for taking out those Hammershields?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline sirphobos1983

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
What is best for taking out those Hammershields?
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
What do you guys use as your "preferred" unit for taking out Terminators with Thunderhammers and Stormshields?

Offline Douce40k

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: What is best for taking out those Hammershields?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »
Well I come up against them a lot when playing my brother I would say don't think about his unit so much think about playing the mission. Depending on the mission I will try and avoide them as they can be slow but in a land raider may become a problem

I tend to use volume of bolter fire or tie them up with a 20man squad of basic marines you will force so many saves that the unit will become less of a threat that's just my personal experience
"To gives oneself to Chaos, body and soul - is there any more complete act of devotion?"

CSM 3K

Offline sirphobos1983

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
I'm thinking of taking huge squads of Zombies to tie up Termies, anyone have any luck with that?

Offline Azazel

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »
I could see that working well. Although you might run into the problem that both units aren't particularly fast, you could keep them near important objectives. Or units of yours that are particularly vulnerable to Assault Terminators.

A Prince with the Black Mace isn't bad, since the Curse bypasses their 3++. Although he will need backup in case his Daemon Weapon takes a bite out of him.

Offline Wake325th

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • wake325th
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »
If its only 5 your fightin' a Helbrute knocks em down a peg, either that or a Daemon Prince will smash em if you soften em up a bit first. Honestly strength 8 is scary, but its only as scary as their delivery system. If its a Land Raider, take it out before it gets anywhere. If they're deepstriking, then use basic force application to crack em, as they're likely to be up against your entire army, and while durable, they aren't *that* durable. And if they're running? That's what plasma is for.

And if you're up against 10? just laugh as they waddle around the board trying to catch something.

Offline steam

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »
I just shoot all my bolters at them. I force my opponent to take those saves. And he will role those 1ns  ;D

Offline Colby

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »
Thousand Sons, depending on what list your taking. Particularly if your going Tzeentch heavy. Your not going to win combat by any means but the terminators won't either.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
Mission first, army second.

How many units? If there are only one- try this- move up a cheap unit of cultists into range of the termies and then start running away- see if you can get the termies to go after you for the kill- many players get caught up in killing stuff, and will go for a target if you give it to them- get the termies to burn a game turn or two chasing and killing the cultists- they are fodder anyway.

If you HAVE to kill them- plasma and other high S and low AP seems like it would work, and does, but might take a turn or two- I find volume of dice to work better- lots of shots, force lots of armor saves, and more then a few "1"'s will come up!

Real World Example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7gdM984sP0

Zip ahead to 11:50- my 40K bud Brother Captain James is assaulting my Necron warriors with three assault terminators.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Mr Johnson

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 04:31:29 AM »
Lotsa bolters, heavy bolters...volume.

Tie them down with tarpits, maybe zombies but they dont even get the feel no pain. I would prefer 1k sons, expensive maybe but get them help from regular csm to pile on the volume of cc. They WILL roll ones and then hope for a bad Ld  8). But really, bolters-bolters-bolters-flamers

Offline Corbarvius

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
One maxim of warfare is that if your enemy is very good at shooting, close quickly with him and hit him; or if he is very good at close quarters fighting, stand off and shoot him.

Thunder Hammer/Stormshield Terminators are only good in melee, and can't shoot at all. Don't assault them. As has been said by the guys, just shoot them lots, with Bolters etc. It's rolling 1s that kills these guys.

If you fight them in melee, every time they win they get a free Consolidate move. This just helps them.