Author Topic: Adding some new troops to the legion.  (Read 1468 times)

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
Adding some new troops to the legion.
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:52:21 AM »
Taking a break from painting to help add some more marines to my legion. I have some extra random garbage parts and decided to kit bash together some CSM guys. Gonna build up an assault Slaanesh themed CSM squad. All I have so far is 3 dudes, but there's a lot of modifications in each one.

Heads are from raptors set, and a shaved down khorne helm.
Shoulders just got some spiky helmet horns added to them.
Torsos are a mix of regular marines and khorne chests..
The arms are regular bits, just reversed for left handed shooters, which was no small effort.
The legs are from the fantasy chaos marines set.

Just gotta get the special gear dudes, champ and melee guys built up.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: Adding some new troops to the legion.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »
Wow, left handed shooters. Why didn't I think of that? Must have been a pain cutting and fitting arms like that.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:28:32 AM »
I have a pile of failed arm attempts, must've destroyed like a dozen arms before I got a good system going. The real hassle was finding clenched left fists and right handed open palms. A lot of sniping required just for switching gun hands :P

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:10:54 PM »
Which kits come with grasping right hands?
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:44:54 AM »
Sorry shoulda specified. There is no CSM kit (to my current knowledge) that has grasping right hands.

The method I used to get proper right hands was to take the grasping left arms, cut off the thumb, then move it to the other side of the palm, and glue it in place. It makes the new grasping right hand seem alittle off, but with how much of the model you're looking at, people dont notice its slightly gibbled right thumb.

Then all thats left is to rotate the forearm, elbow, wrist and shoulder parts to turn the originally left arm into a right arm. With power armor parts its actually not that hard of a mod.

I'll see if I can get a quick totorial up on my page to show the parts and routine for making left handed shooters.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »
My only concern with making a left handed shooter is that the bolt ejector is on the right side. If I made some left handed shooters I would follow your example but I'd have to either also model a left side ejector or position it so it wouldn't look like the spent shells aren't slapping my space marine in the face and chest

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
Yeah but think about it, when the shell ejects, it fly's right into the mouth of the marine and he eats it! Gotta get their iron somehow right?

I mean regular space marines wouldnt probably do that, but chaos dudes are all over that. They'd probably pop a grenade in their mouth just to add some spice to battle.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »
And then yell something psychotic like "BREAKFAST OF ASPIRING CHAMPIONS!!!"