Author Topic: New Officio Assassinorum dataslate  (Read 3920 times)

Offline LPartyAnimal

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
New Officio Assassinorum dataslate
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »
I just want to get an opinion on how everyone feels about this new dataslate. So far from what I've read I am glad that the assassins have been updated but, I wish there were more new models and units for this dataslate.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
Re: New Officio Assassinorum dataslate
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
GW seems to be taking a minimalistic approach to codex updates and dataslates with pre-existing rules/models. All the Assassins have been made more viable with a power boost and in some cases a small (maybe insignificant) discount points-wise. I actually like the new dataslate, I haven't had a chance to read the fluff, but rules wise I think the Assassins feel more like terrifying, agents of Terra that you want to use to destroy your opponents Warlord.

So, rules-wise I like change, I could now actually find a use for every kind of Assassin, not just the Vindicare.. which is great!
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline LPartyAnimal

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »
I feel the same way! I also think its awesome that they can be used by any army of the Imperium. I hope armies start to use assassins more that would be an interesting thing to put into game!

Offline Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
Hm, given their points cost I would have no issues taking both the Vinidcare and Culexus with my Grey Knights, since they compliment my lists quite well, just have to be careful with that Culexus and his 12" bubble around certain units since I want my Purifiers to hit the enemy with Cleansing Flame as much as possible~

Still.. the terror factor for that guy.... I may post some tactica for these guys when i've had a chance to use them more.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:18:09 PM »
i can't wait to use the anti psyker assassin in my dark eldar army against my friend's space wolf librarians

Offline Bowlzee

• Keeper of Secrets
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Slave to Slaanesh
    • View Profile
    • Slave To Slaanesh
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »
Hm, given their points cost I would have no issues taking both the Vinidcare and Culexus with my Grey Knights, since they compliment my lists quite well, just have to be careful with that Culexus and his 12" bubble around certain units since I want my Purifiers to hit the enemy with Cleansing Flame as much as possible~

Still.. the terror factor for that guy.... I may post some tactica for these guys when i've had a chance to use them more.

Hmm... I don't like the idea of playing against your Grey Knights AND Culexus assassin :P

Offline Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:10:01 AM »
It's inevitable Bowlzee! I was having a hard enough time buying a Culexus Assassin when they WERE in the Grey Knights 'dex.. now that this has happened... well.. don't bother with Psykers^^

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 03:32:24 AM »
I do find it amusing that now that the Assassins are no longer in the GK codex, they've been updated to become more interesting. Just goes to show that GW can make rules that are fun without breaking the game. Now if only they had added a fun rule or two to the GK Purgators . . .

The Culexus has made me re-evaluate the wisdom of going for an Invisible gun line in a tournament. I guess it depends on how common they become. I was already on the fence about that anyway due to the amount of maintenance it requires. Also depends on whether or not the tournament limits me to two sources.

Which brings up another question which TOs will have to make decisions about: does the Assassin dataslate count as a source? In other words, would players be limited to say, Space Wolves and an Assassin? Or will they go with something like Adepticon did where you had a two major sources but you could also have Inquisition?

I think once GW has gotten their baseline set after updating all of the codexes, the meta will settle in. Right now everything is in upheaval and I feel like there are tectonic shifts every month. Which is kind of fun in a "may you live in interesting times" sort of way but makes it hard to build and practice with an army even a month or two in advance. That's not a complaint, just an observation on reality.

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 12:44:47 PM »
I like it. I wish the imperium didn't get all the cool toys as battle brothers, but allies of convenience aren't that bad. . .
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline LPartyAnimal

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »
What they are not even battle brothers with the Grey Knights :O! Who are they battle brothers with?!

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
I'd have no qualms with playing against grey knights and an assassin. I have an Ironclad dreadnought ina pod that would love to give the cullexus assassin a hug and a kiss with a heavy flamer.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
On the topic of the assassins as a separate slate, I like the idea of being able to tale em with any army, but I would never use em. I like to throw down in assault way too much.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Thatguyoverthere

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
I want to take them with my Tyranids... the formation that is.  I'd let them run interference, potentially alongside death leaper, while my skittering tide crosses the table.

For conversions, I think some strange, unique bio constructs or gene stealer mutants would be in order!

Offline Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »
Harry.. didn't you see the Eversor Assassin? 3d6 Charge Range and 3 Extra Attacks on the charge with a Power Sword and a Fleshbane, Shred Guantlet.. with Melta Bombs and a Pistol he can take 4 shots with that either fires in regular Bolt mode or Poisoned 4+ mode. Not to mention Furious Charge, Infiltrate and Move Through Cover....

For example.. if you Infiltrate within.. say 12".. the turn you get to charge that 3d6 you will get.... 8 S5 I7 (2+ To Wound with Re-rolls or AP3) Attacks at WS8.. That's hitting basically EVERYTHING on 3s and almost guaranteed wounds (or 2s and 3s if you decided you wanted to gank 3+ Saves). Even if you get challenged out you're going to Nuke the whole unit..

Online Morollan

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 04:44:23 AM »
I used the Culexus against Grey Knights this week and he was absolutely brutal. Killed an entire Terminator squad and Librarian (Warlord) himself plus shut down most of their psychic phase. Against certain armies, the Culexus can win you the battle almost single-handedly. Even against non-psychic armies he's still pretty tasty with his AP1 gun and ignores armour melee attacks.