Author Topic: Allies, who and why?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Allies, who and why?
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:39:31 AM »
So who are you bringing as allies for your knights and why? Alternatively, who are you allying the knights to, and why are you choosing knights as an ally?
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline The Overlord

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Allies, who and why?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:58:52 AM »
My 1850 competitive list consists of 2 battle cannon knights, 1 errant. The officio assassinorum formation with all 4 assassins, a defence line with las cannon, and a inquisitor for maybe a psychic buff

Talk about hero hammer! ;)

Online Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:56:14 AM »
In the near future I plan on running a single knight ally with my space Marines. More than likely I'm running The knight character from the white dwarf because I like the special rules included with him. 400 points for a bonafied show of force.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline ShadowcatX

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:43:53 AM »
I believe the guy in white dwarf is 500 points, the warzone dude is the 400 point one, which did you meam?

What chapter of marines do you run?
Everything I have ever told you, even this, is a lie.

Offline MusashiLimited

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »
To comes down to the kind of list you want to run but I think marines are perfect.

If you really want to upset your opponent I would run a knight and drop pod list, the pods give you an extra turn to get your knights across the table. They give your opponent something in their deployment they must deal with straight away and it will hopefully distract them long enough to get a couple of knights into cc withour taking too much damage.

I would consider scouts for holding back objective points and a pod of vanilla sternguard for dealing with mc's or give them some melta for dealing with armour.

All depends on points and how many knights you want to run.

As for tactics, well I usually do ultramarines because I play smurfs anyway.

Offline Bushleague

• Supporter
  • Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »
I'll eventually run a knight as an ally to my blood angels, once I get caught up on painting that is. The reason to run a knight besides them being awesome? In my case, it's chapter fluff, my BA successor chapter/company got lost on a planet in a warp storm after trying to recover a lost Ad Mech Knight Titan. They finally found it, and now that the storm has subsided, it's been essentially added to the chapters standing forces. I'll probably have it be piloted by the company tech marine (still not sure how Im going to translate that visually though).

Tactically? the knight gives me a fire base that can keep up with all the fast moving blood angels units, and can pretty much hold down a flank all by itself. Knight+ Two Vindicators: who do you shoot first (Laughs maniacally from too much warpdust)
"Descend on Wings of Fury, and Scour the Enemy from the Battlefield" - Battle-Captain Janus Shraub, 3rd Company of the Angels of Sirocco, Successors of the 9th Legion.

Offline Htedomsa

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
I'd love to run some converted Plague Marine inspired IK with my CSM. Would be a lot of fun to convert and I like the idea of more hulking rotting firepower.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 06:25:07 AM »
I bought the Chaos Knight Titan kit from ForgeWorld, as my first Knight Titan.  As such...I'm obviously dedicating it to Chaos.  Even painted him all up in dark greens, snot greens, and copper.  Dedicated him to Nurgle, which makes him a Daemon of Nurgle (+5 Invuln save all around!) and gives him It Will Not Die (+5 to gain a hull point back).  So...yeah.  The rules for the Daemonizing of the original two Knight Titans is on the ForgeWorld website, and I have to say...they're alright?  A bit points heavy, for sometimes little to no gain (other than the +5 invuln).

It's pretty fun though, and I really loved the look of my Plague Engine (as I call it) popping up onto the battlefield.  My opponent took one look at it's grotesque visage and went "No no no no no no!"  Since it had plenty of survivability, thank you Papa Nurgle, I just...blitzed it up his side spraying Avenger Gatling Cannon rounds into him.  Hit his flank, pivoted and began tearing through to the otherside.

Fun times were had by me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 03:36:19 PM by Chaos_Inquisitor »

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 11:02:05 AM »
I'm thinking of a Crusader to go with my Sisters of Battle. That Thermal Cannon has me giddy. Although an Errant for a cheaper option plus some CC D isn't bad either.

Offline SidjostromPrimarch DCLXVI

• Battle Brother
  • Preaching Word of The Dark Gods since 007 M31.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 04:40:56 AM »
Renegade Crusader to go with my CSM. Gatling cannon + Rapid Fire battle cannon+ Melta Gun. It works really well most of the time when paired with lots of minimum squads of plague marines in rhinos to hold objectives. Has helped me table semi competitive tau armies when paired with nurgle oblits.

Helps clear up a major weakness of chaos marines, cost effective heavy firepower and anti tank.

• Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, Officio Assassinorum

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:37 PM »
Wow, thread necromancy, but hey, why not?  :D

I own three Dreamforge Leviathan Mortis models (need to assemble two of them yet), will be using them as Baronial Court. My allies will be MSU Militarum Tempestus, hopefully fully using their firepower (being safe from enemy CC as my Knights will discourage enemy units from coming too close; also, my enemies will probably be distracted by the charging Knights and won't have time to deal with my shooty and paper-thin MSU) and scoring Maelstrom of War missions.
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.