Author Topic: abaddon problems  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Michael Petrou

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
abaddon problems
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
hey all u chaos players!
i have organised a game with a chaos player who  will base his list around abaddon in a lr with chaos Terminators.
any ideas on how to counter it would be great.
i was thinking of running lysander and a 10 man hammernator squad against them ( still cheaper than them)
what do u think?
any help appreciated

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: abaddon problems
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »
You can kill abby and his guys and that will work, but would it work better to kite them around the table rather then meet them head on? Put little units here and there for them to gobble up and keep your opponent focused on killing stuff while the rest of your army wins the mission?
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Joe the Ripper

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:47:26 PM »
Lots snipers with divination. Precision shots and rending. You could probably blah for 30 sniper scouts for his deathstar land raider. If you want to ally some cheap gk, vindicare assasin. Pop the land raider and make him walk. When the land raider is gone vindicare shots are allocated by the owner and can't be LoS!

Offline Michael Petrou

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 02:52:09 AM »
that assassin idea made my day..
i will remove abby's invul and then he is a walking nothing.
no match for lysander in a challenge..

Offline Maddog95

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:21:26 AM »
Actually, on average, Abbadon will defeat any one in single combat 2 out of 3 times.
WS7, S5 w/ AP2 or S8 w/ AP3 and Shred, T5, 4W, I6, 4A and a 2+/4++. He's also got Preferred Enemy: Space Marines and is an Eternal Warrior...
The only way you can kill him if he rolls a 1 for his Daemon Weapons. Which is his biggest strength and his biggest weakness: nothin' but Daemon Weapons!

Even Kharne gets chopped up in one turn, max 2, turns of combat.

There's a reason he's the biggest beatstick in 40k... Maybe you should reconsider the 'shoot him up'-strategy again.

Offline Michael Petrou

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:39:32 AM »
maybe u should read my post again. i said that the assassin will remove his invul..
this way, abby takes two wounds a turn and causes 1,66 on average against lysander.

Offline Maddog95

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »
He'll do 3. Preferred Enemy will let him reroll 1's To Hit and To Wound and he'll also have a 6++ Invul Save.
Although he'll lose his Wargear Invul Save, the Mark of Tzeentch Special Rule will give him a 6++ one because a Mark is not a piece of Wargear and even then only 50% of the time...

Regardless, good luck. But my bets on Abaddon killing Lysander... Unfortunately.

Offline Michael Petrou

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »
check ur math!!
abby gets an average of 7 attacks. 5 hits and 5 wounds . lysander has a 3++ so he takes an average of 1,66 wounds. lysander has 3 attacks with a reroll due to his hammer being mc. so, 2 or 3 hits on 4+ , 2 wounds!! simple as that!!

Offline Maddog95

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
Alright, math...

He's got 7.5 Attacks, not counting Counter-Attack or Rage.
He hits on 3's. Which means he gets 5 hits, with rerolls of 1's (Preferred Enemy). 'Cause math says he'll roll at least 1 1 he'll most likely recuperate a miss and thus get 6 hits.
He'll wound on 3's with Drach'nyen. Which means he'll hit 4 times and fail to wound twice.
Of which, statistically, one of those results will be a 1, which he will again recuperate one failed to wound on a 3+, which chances are he will, and thus wound 5 times.
Of which you save 3.333 on average.

Lysander with his 3 Attacks, will hit 2.25 times and thus wound twice.
Of which, for this turn, Abaddon will save 0.333. After that his 4++ is back and odds will start looking grimmer again.

Look, alright, you've got a serious up-chance of laying the hurt on that sonovabeach.
But, I'm still rather betting against my own favourite HQ and on Abaddon to come out victorious.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:56:19 PM by Maddog95 »

Offline Joe the Ripper

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
If you can't dakka him to death, and its unlikely you beat him to death. You can find gimmicks to remove him from play. Null zone, the black mace, draigo's sword, inquisitor valaria's hyperstone maze. Not familiar with any others but I'm sure almost every army has them. Inflict a toughness test or an initiative test to remove from the game. Another tactic can be to surround the landraider with jetbikes/ fast skimmers, and keep him from being able to disembark. If the or attempt to tank shock you can jink and keep him in a the box.

Offline Michael Petrou

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:41:08 PM »
see, my math is correct but u have made a small mistake. he does not regain his invul , he loses it for the entire game
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:43:00 PM by Michael Petrou »

Offline Poxyquotl

• Initiate
  • Jack of all trades, master of none
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 04:49:58 AM »
Deamon prince with mastery level 2 and The black mace. Try to roll warp speed although all of the biomancy powers as pretty good.

Edit: And wings, can't forget the wings.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:08:24 AM by Poxyquotl »

Offline Michael Petrou

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:12:39 AM »
Deamon prince with mastery level 2 and The black mace. Try to roll warp speed although all of the biomancy powers as pretty good.

Edit: And wings, can't forget the wings.
i am playing space marines. i would never play chaos or daemons although they have some really good looking models!

Offline Col. Dracus

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Blog "Dracus Journal"
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »
Did you play your game yet? How did you do if you did?

If not... a key will be to blow up the LR as fast as you can. Abby walking is much easier to avoid than in a LR. My siggestion would be to shoot him and the Terminators. A Vindicator can to the job as well as Dev Squads and just volume of fire from Double-tapping bolters. Force them to roll 1s. If your opponent is running Abby with Terminators in a LR the odds are high that he will not have much else on the table. You can just play to the mission by eliminating his troops and keeping yours alive.
Playing 40k since 2000

Check out my Youtube Channel at
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dracus40k

Blog
http://dracusjournal.blogspot.com/

Offline Michael Petrou

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 03:24:22 AM »
the game was unfortunately postponed for some time in the future as he was very sick that day...
thanks for the feedback everyone it is always helpful