Author Topic: Word Bearers challenge!  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Coranael

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Word Bearers challenge!
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
For the longest time I have been one of the biggest Word Bearers imaginable. I've searched the Codices and Rulebooks for any scrap of knowledge I can get, and even novels. That being said, I love narrative games and my gaming group is looking at starting a LARGE campaign soon. I am honestly hoping to start a Word Bearers army at the size of approx. 3000 points. So! Here's the challenge! For those of you who know the fluff, but are also capable of maybe helping me write a competitive list, I'm asking for help. To remain within fluff at least one (1) Dark Apostle without Mark, and one Terminator Lord without Mark. Aside from that, the list cannot have any specially flavoured Marines or marked Marines.

Offline Maddog95

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Word Bearers challenge!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:10:16 AM »
Pre or Post-Heresy is the first obvious question that comes to mind.

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:10:59 AM »
Can the list have marked anything?  or ar you only specific about regular CSM (i.e. can cultists be marked if wanted).  Also are you actually looking for a 3000 point list?

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:34:15 AM »
So assuming 3k list using double FOC.  Here is a semi-competitive (it should be pretty good but could be better without restricions.)  It is not finalized certainly but gives a good jumping off point for some discussion.

Primary 1
Dark Apostle (Black Mace)

35 Cultists w/ mark of Khorne

10 Chaos Space Marines w/ 2 Plasma guns

Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

5 Havocs w/4 Autocannons

5 Havocs w/4 Autocannons

Allied detachment 1
Lord Of Change (Level 3 psyker, 2 Greater Rewards, 1 Lesser Reward)

10 Daemonettes

9 Screamers of Tzeentch

Primary Detachment 2
Chaos Lord in Terminator armor w/ Lightning Claw and power fist

Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

3 x 1 Obliterator

Allied Detachment 2
Herald Of Khorne on Juggernaut w/ Lesser reward

10 Plauge Bearers

20 Fleshounds

Fortification

Aegis Defense line

So this seems pretty fluffy, uses the Apostle, and Lord, uses cultists (which WB do) to run up with the Apostle (put aegis at mid way for cover) and get into combat (mark of Khorne for rage and counter attack).  Uses 3 Units of unmarked CSM.  Uses Daemons from all 4 gods.

Offline Coranael

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
I totally love that list! And absolutely! I may end up going in that direction! :D Love it.

Offline SteveVenezia

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:15:33 PM »
What about.... Lorgar?

The customization options are limitless, and you could use a Daemon Prince's stats (with Black Mace of course). Or maybe Abaddon's stats.

For the model you could get something like this:

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=1803

Maybe shave his head because I think Lorgar is bald. And add some word bearer stuff like books & scrolls etc.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 06:11:12 PM »
Look up chaos space marine formations in the apocalypse book and try to kind of build around those.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Coranael

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »
Thank you so much to everyone who has posted. I LOOOVE the idea of using that model as Lorgar and will be ordering it on Friday. Also, I think it's a great idea to look at the apocalypse formations. I have a feeling that I will be using TLATD formation, as well as a large core of Terminators and Unmarked Marines. As will, I will be using the idea of having two allied detachments filled with Demons. Thank you so much for your support. If anyone still has some creative juices flowing, please feel free to post, as I have loved every idea I have seen so far. Thank you for supporting me in my first post here!

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:15:02 AM »
So far I'd recommend the dark apostle leading the lost and the damned, a few squads of 20 man word bearers chaos marines, a few squads of red terminators, and the Tetragon of Darkness. Maybe a helldrake formation or a predator assassin formation. All of it will look nuts on the table.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Coranael

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »
Well hello everyone. The building of the army has begun, but also mutated in the mean-time. I was also hoping to do a pre-heresy Word Bearers army alongside the massacre-book release from FW. I was THINKING of using some Dark Angels models with minor conversions along with whichever models Forgeworld releases for the Word Bearers. What do you all think?

Offline iselbub

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »
For some inspiration you should definitely check out RazakelXIII's Word Bearers army.  He really sticks to the feel of the army.  You may have to root around through the blog some to find all the pictures but it is really impressive stuff:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/150542-razs-word-bearers-army-blog/