Author Topic: let's talk tempestus!  (Read 1614 times)

Online Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
let's talk tempestus!
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »
Let's begin with why you take tempestus scions, cmd squads, primes, and valkyres. Scions first, they are amazing in groups of 5 to 7. Now I say this because they get 2 special weapons no matter how many guys are in a squad. They are all around good hunter with BS 4 and 4+ armor. So long as you stick to your battle plan for the squad they will serve well (aka don't use the plasma gun to take on say a land raider or a high toughness creature. (We'll get to that second one later).

Now lets talk cmd squads. They are the orders of the turn so you want 2. Each can take 4 special weapons, I suggest the hot shot volly guns here as they have a 24 inch range and these guys deep strike. At the mid field you attain control of the board and a good area for order issuing. They are your marine killers.

WAIT WAIT WAIT! What about transports and objectives and flyers. Oh my....that his where we fight vehicles with vehicles. We have the taroux prime a fast transport with enough room for a fireing point on each side. They can flat out 18 inches, and are dedicated transports for your scions, making them ob-sec. And we have quite the selection of fire power on these ba he's fro. Mid range assault to transport poppers at the 48 inch range to antihoard at 24 inches.

For flyers we have Valkyrie squads. These angels have quite a fun selection. Of wonderful explosion initiators for your very best Michael bay impression and our scions can grav-shute from them for better positioning and reinforcement.

So what I want to know is, and I know people use this Dex mainly for allied detachments, what's your favorite u it and composition ? Why, and what drew you to it for this Dex.

Offline epiknoob

• Battle Brother
  • If you don't ask how do you learn?
    • View Profile
Re: let's talk tempestus!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »
I am currently building an armored battle group and Tempestus army. The list has evolved in to many different list. where the Tempestus Where the main detachment. To now The armoured battle group (a FW list of IG tanks) is the primary detachment. How ever the primary detachment is only about 750 pts ( 2 vanquisher as HQ and 2 leman russ as my two troops) The rest is dumbed in a Tempestus Air Assault Formation(  1 commissar, 1 command squad , 3 x 10 man scion squads and four Valkyries) .

Its funny that you mention Michael Bay. I made this list with story in my head, a scene from a movie if you will. Four tanks are on a patrol/scout mission and run into the advancing vanguard of an enemy force. The commanding officer of the tank group radio in their rapid response team. The out number tank group just have to survive till the cavalry arrives. Being a former air cav member of the US army I guess I am a little biased on this idea.

I was planning on building an IG army. ( there will always be imperial guard to me) As I was building list after list ( list building to me is one of the funnest part to me) I picked up the Tempetus dataslate. ( they will always be Stormtroopers in my eyes) I really liked the models and the idea of an " elite normal joe human " army. then I read the Air Assault formation. There it was an idea/army list that I can relate to. But what to add to it? More Stormtroops? ,No had my platoon of them in flyers already.... what is there mission? Hit and Run? Na rules dont really read that to me. Rescue mission? Now we are getting some where.

So I was looking at all kinds of different ideas of allies and detachments. In the end it is 4 IG tanks that need help. 
"88th . . . Roll out!"

Online Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »
I'm considering an allied detachment of Inquisitions and Grey knights, simply because I've just started collecting the tempestus. But beware the sones of the empire army.

Offline TheMonkfish

• Initiate
  • Imperial Tactical Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »
I've been having some success with a 10 man Scion squad armed with 2 Plasma Guns. They chew through Marines but tend to eat a lot of shooting.

Online Warseer_Kaelrich

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 12:40:32 AM »
have you considered using the PG's on the command unit? they get 4 per squad, but only 5 guys and can get FnP 5+