Author Topic: Revange Battery  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Bollwear98

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Revange Battery
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »
What do you think of the Revange Battery? With the Cannons, not Gatlins or Las Cannons.
Both of them =D

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Revange Battery
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:29:21 PM »
I'm presuming you mean the Vengeance Weapon Batteries.

They are AV14 small buildings that cannot be claimed by your opponent since they are impassable...for under 100pts and you can take 2 of them.  Regardless of which gun you put on top, that alone makes them REALLY good at camping backfield objectives as your opponent has to whittle away 3HPs on something that doesn't look like it's able to hold an objective....not only that but even if the weapon is destroyed (easy if a penetrating hit occurs), the building has to be completely destroyed/wrecked in order to negate it's objective claiming abilities.

They are large enough to hide a DE Venom behind one making it useful during deployment and with 3 different weapons, they are versatile enough to provide some helpful support.

I tend to run them with the Quad-Icarus or the battle cannon.  The Quad-Icarus provides strong anti-air support that doesn't require a unit next to them.  The Battle Cannon is a nice large blast with even better range.  The automated firing rules are annoying; however, they aren't bad if you plan your own attacks around such.  The Gatling cannon is also really strong but with only 24" range, I find these work best center field and working in pairs as opposed to a single one.

All in all, they are great for almost every army and provide a great "trick" since a lot of opponents don't realize that purchased fortifications can claim objectives.

Is there anything specific you were interested in knowing about them?

Offline SittingInACorner

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »
Can you point me to where it says buildings can cap in the rules? because I would love to use them as such.

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »
Can you point me to where it says buildings can cap in the rules? because I would love to use them as such.

BRB > Preparing for Battle > Objective Markers > Scoring Units > Last bullet point about exceptions (rule is in the parenthesis).

Claimed Buildings count as a scoring unit from the claiming player's army.

This also means if there's a random building on the field placed as terrain and you place an objective within 3" of it, embarking and thus claiming the previously neutral building will allow you to score the objective as well.

Offline SittingInACorner

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
woah that' totally awesome thanks! I will be buying a vengeance weapon battery now hehehehehehehe

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:56:30 AM »
I've played around with the Vengeance Weapons Battery and find them interesting. I'd have to play with them a lot more to make any conclusions but they give me some ideas:

1. They're kind of like improved empty Drop Pods. Improved because they're tougher, have a better weapon (albeit worse BS), and don't scatter. Like a Drop Pod because they can hold an objective and no one wants to waste shots on them. So far as I know, they don't even have to be near each other so holding two separate objectives should be easy.

2. They could also be used as blockers, both to line of sight and movement. For example you could use a pair to corner your Thunderfire Cannon with. Against AdLance you could space them so that a Knight couldn't get past them without destroying them first. Meanwhile your Thunderfire Cannon could be sitting in ruins enjoying his bolstered 3+ cover save.

3. So far I prefer the battle cannon. Doesn't help vs flyers but against everything else it can make its presence felt. Even Imperial Knights.

4. Handy tip. While the rules state they have to shoot at the closest target, they don't state that they have to shoot at the closest point on the target. So, with something as big as an Imperial Knight you can roam it around the base to find other targets to catch in the large blast.

Funny story, I had one VWB fire its Battle Cannon and scatter 7" back onto itself. Since it's ordnance it had no trouble penning itself. And rolling weapon destroyed. And it was at that point I decided to take a third Legion of the Damned squad to Adepticon. I haven't given up on the concept though. They certainly have potential.

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
Funny story, I had one VWB fire its Battle Cannon and scatter 7" back onto itself. Since it's ordnance it had no trouble penning itself. And rolling weapon destroyed. And it was at that point I decided to take a third Legion of the Damned squad to Adepticon. I haven't given up on the concept though. They certainly have potential.

Battle Cannon is S8 AP3 and the VWB is AV14....there's no way you can penetrate a VWB with a battlecannon as Ordnance is 2D6 take the highest.  The best it can do unto itself is a glance.

Also - even with the weapon IS destroyed, the building still exists and thus can still hold the objective.  This is where things get interesting since it means your opponent HAS to do something with it despite that it isn't a threat at all.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:36:11 AM »
You're right, the pen must have come from the Imperial Knight (he was running the melta cannons on his AdLance). Must have been just a glance. The scatter and self injury were funny though. Apologies for the confusion! Even though it was  few months ago, I should have been able to catch that due to the logic disconnect.

And you're quite correct, even if the VWB loses its gun it's still on an objective and has to be dealt with. Very annoying for your opponent who would most likely rather direct the fire elsewhere, let alone waste a strong assault unit on it. Another reason I've been giving them some thought.

Like I said, I like the concept and still playing around with it. So many choices!