Author Topic: Void Shield  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Player 1

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Void Shield
« on: March 07, 2015, 04:00:27 AM »
Good morning all,
     At my shop, everyone plays Ultra Marines or Blood Angels and they're all drop pod lists with at least 1 land raider. I'm the only xenos palyer, other than 1 guy who plays Necrons. I've been playing my Eldar since the end of 4th ed, and lately I've been getting stomped by poison round stern guard and centurians coming from the skies. Been thinking of running a Void Shield to try and mitigate those shots for my wraith knights, serpents, jet bikes and soon to be Harlequins. I've had 1 game with it where it worked fine at first, but then it got popped by a camping combat squad turn 2 and didn't come back online. Maybe I'm not running it correctly or with the idea behind it. Any ideas?

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
Re: Void Shield
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »
Wish I could help with the void shield issue as I dont use one, But I play Dark angels and Eldar myself and luckily have not had to run against anything like this so far. my questions are how many drop pods are we talking about in the list total and how are the centurions dropping in from the sky as far as I know since drop pods are dedicated transports they can only carry the unit it was selected with when it is deployed and at deployment phase is when you determine the contents of DT's. I dont think you can then later have the centurions embark on the drop pod turn 1 from reserves to get a free ride in a now empty pod due to drop pod assault, because the squad it was purchased with isn't using it. I have always seen drop pods as a full or empty sort of thing, unlike other army's where they have a transport that can be taken as a fast attack choice empty and then be filled with whatever you want.

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 09:46:43 AM »
One of the best ways to address drop pod armies is to turtle up in your deployment in order to minimize the the number of targets that are without cover.  Following that, it can REALLY piss off a drop pod player to just move away and flat out in order to get as far away from them as possible. You spend the turn redeploying/flatting out instead of shooting; however, it also means your opponent is now walking across back to you.

Personally - the Void Shield isn't worth it since it relies on you having a fairly static army (though the 12" radius it produces is decent).  Also - if you use the redeployment strategy I mentioned, then it gives your opponent a bubble instead.

If you want to run a fortification against a drop pod army, I would suggest a Skyshield Landing Pad.  It's large enough to fit a LOT of your models on it.  In addition, it's raised up, meaning it's harder for your opponent to see units if you make it so there is no place for him to land on the skyshield itself.  Futhermore, it provides a 4++ save to everything on top of it if the guards are up.

Beyond that, I can only recommend that you don't fire off your serpent shields and (if you haven't done so already) post over in the Eldar forum for some potential additional tips.  If you were running DE (or at least just the Scalpel Squadron formation) one option would be to do a null deployment; however, that's worst if you aren't going 2nd.

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:34:43 AM »
VSG protects every UNIT with at least one model within 12". Make sure you play it this way; it's Rules as Written (the Kustom Force Field used to work like this too, so there's precedence). Take the 2 extra shields. You'll have to play around with deployment/bubble wrapping. It will absorb at least 3 high strength hits before it goes down, more if you're lucky. Remember also that a blast weapon hitting a unit protected by the shield only gets ONE hit on the shield.

You may also want to consider your reserves strategy vs. a Drop Pod list. Wraithknights CAN Deep Strike (or they can just walk on the board).

Cheers!
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:05:46 PM »
VSG protects every UNIT with at least one model within 12". Make sure you play it this way; it's Rules as Written (the Kustom Force Field used to work like this too, so there's precedence). Take the 2 extra shields. You'll have to play around with deployment/bubble wrapping. It will absorb at least 3 high strength hits before it goes down, more if you're lucky. Remember also that a blast weapon hitting a unit protected by the shield only gets ONE hit on the shield.

You may also want to consider your reserves strategy vs. a Drop Pod list. Wraithknights CAN Deep Strike (or they can just walk on the board).

Cheers!

I don't have my book on me and am second guessing myself on the wording. Doesn't the shield state that it's any unit/model...not "friendly" units only?  If it's not "friendly" only, then a VSG is a liability against a drop pod army as they can get benefits from the shield as well.

I could be wrong though since I cannot remember the wording properly on the VSG. 

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 02:01:07 PM »
You are correct that it is ANY unit (not 'friendly' units); but the shots also have to come from 'outside' the shield for the unit to be protected. I have, for example, used a Webstriking Fire Dragon bomb to erase the VSG itself. Problem solved! I have not had the opportunity to Webstrike vs a vehicle in this manner, but being within the 12" negates the benefits.

If I were a drop-podding marine (oh, how I wish I was sometimes), I would be angling toward landing as close to the VSG as possible.
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Player 1

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 03:20:04 AM »
First, you guys are great! Thanks for the feed back, it really helps! I've had my thoughts on a skyshield for some time now and adding a gun line of dark reapers for my heavy slot, but the shield is very tempting with it that has a chance of coming back. I'll try the skyshild this weekend and see how it runs.