Author Topic: Building a list around reducing cover saves  (Read 1161 times)

Online Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Building a list around reducing cover saves
« on: April 15, 2015, 12:27:56 AM »
So would it be worth while to build a list around reducing cover saves?  I am thinking something like the following

Iron Hands - Clan Raukaan
HQ
Master of the Forge
Thunder hammer, auspex

Techmarine
Auspex

Techmarine
Auspex

Troops
2 x 8 tactical marines
Meltagun, combi-melta
Drop pod

Heavy support
1 x Thunderfire Cannon - Drop Pod

Skitarii allies
3 x 10 vanguard - 3 arc rifles
Omnispex

1 x 10 rangers 2 x arquebus omnispex

Heavy support
Onager squadron
heavy Phosphor blaster, cognis heavy stubber

Onager Squadron
heavy phosphor blaster, congnis heavy stubber

Onager Squadron
Heavy phosphor blaster, cognis heavy stubber

Onager Sqaudron
Icarus Array, heavy stubber

The basic idea is to have the Marines drop in so they are within 12" inches of whoever they are shooting at to use auspex to lower the units cover save by 1, the onagers are shooting their phosphor blaster to lower saves by an additional point, allowing the the skitarii infantry to shoot with a -3 to the targets cover save.  Would it be worth building a list around this idea or just a section of a list with the rest being less gimmicky?

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Building a list around reducing cover saves
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:17:41 AM »
I guess it depends on what your target is. A squad of Legion of the Damned with three melta shots (multi-melta, meltagun, and combi-melta) that ignores cover seems easier if it's a vehicle. Or rapid fire bolters if it's just infantry. The can even re-roll your deep strike so chance are good you can land within melta range.

Online Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:01:29 PM »
LotD do not offer ignores cover on an army wide basis.
How desireable is going your entire army a -3' to cover says for infantry, MCs and light vehicles, and -2 to cover saves for heavy vehicles?  It's roughly the equivalent of giving your whole army perfect timing.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. This is a cool list. I was in a hurry this morning and was trying to add something I thought might be helpful since you were taking Space Marines anyway. I'm excited to see what the Skitarii brings to the table and the great ideas people like yourself are developing. They open up many new possibilities.

I think it's smart that you have redundancy built in to give you flexibility and make it harder for your opponent to counter your attempts to reduce their cover saves by simply sniping off a key unit.

On the other hand, how often do you need your whole army to focus down one unit in cover? That's one of the reasons I like Legion of the Damned. I can usually get them right where I want them. Can even double team the target most of the time if I need to. And as it stands, every independent unit and tank in my Iron Hands army already has Ignores Cover weapons except the Sicaran which ignores Jink. So I get where you're going with your list. Eliminating cover saves greatly increases your damage output and Skitarii bring a new way to achieve that. I'm very interested to read about how this works out for you.

Best of luck to you!