Author Topic: Working on a 1500p Craftworld TAC list  (Read 6616 times)

Offline The Librarian

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Studio Dysnomia Commission Painting
Working on a 1500p Craftworld TAC list
« on: April 29, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
Hey all,

I started working on this army before the new codex was announced, so it's possible some of the choices in it aren't optimal in the new edition anymore. Here's my initial take on a 1500 point Take-All-Comers (TAC) list with the new codex. It has a CAD and an Aspect Host.

CAD:

Autarch - Wings, Fusion Pistol, Shard of Anaris - 135

10x Guardians in a Wave Serpent with Ghostwalk Matrix, Shuriken Cannon - 220
10x Guardians in a Wave Serpent with Ghostwalk Matrix, Shuriken Cannon - 220

Fire Prism with Ghostwalk Matrix, Holofield and Shuriken Cannon - 160
Fire Prism with Ghostwalk Matrix, Holofield and Shuriken Cannon - 160

Aspect Host:

5x Fire Dragons and Exarch in a Wave Serpent with Ghostwalk Matrix, Shuriken Cannon - 250
5x Fire Dragons and Exarch in a Wave Serpent with Ghostwalk Matrix, Shuriken Cannon - 250

6x Swooping Hawks and Exarch - 106

Total - 1501 (It's one point over. That's acceptable where I play)

I think it's pretty vicious, but it seems to have all the answers a list needs. Fast, sturdy objective secured. Solid anti-tank. Plenty of anti-infantry at various levels, and an accurate back field attacker (the swooping hawks, who accompany the Autarch).

This is my first Eldar list, so I'd be really happy to read any and all feedback you can come up with. I know there are some experts here. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:44:34 AM by The Librarian »

Offline amras_falassion

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • Eskaywoo: Brand Strategy and Design
Re: Working on a 1500p Craftworld TAC list
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »
Sorry, what's a splinter cannon?

Offline The Librarian

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »
Sorry, what's a splinter cannon?

LOL. I'll fix that. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:46:10 AM by The Librarian »

Offline EBomb

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 07:24:45 PM »
Itís a little early to tell just how solid a list will be but overall I think it looks good.  I thought Hawks were good last codex and I think Hawks are going to be amazing this codex, especially with BS 5.  Fire Dragons were strong last codex and just got better this codex, again even better with BS 5.

4x Wave serpents will not be as strong as last codex but they are still a solid choice, especially if you are using them as transports.  Guardians in serpents are one of the choices that I almost always take so I canít complain about that.

I understand the ghost walk matrix on the Wave Serpents, Iíve immobilized way too many on difficult terrain over the years.  They need to zoom straight up the board despite the terrain though, with Fire Prisms you just need to be smart about their placement.  I think spirit stones will serve them better now instead.  You can justify giving up shooting to protect units in Wave Serpents by jinking but you canít afford to do that with the Prisms.  With holofields you can use the 5++ instead of jink but that isnít very reliable.  However, with spirit stones about half the results that do make it through can be downgraded to just a hull point and you can fire the tank on your next turn if it survives.  Iím also not sure about shuriken cannon upgrades on them because I like to use their range to help keep them alive and shooting but, that is more about personal taste.

Good luck!

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »
I'll agree with Ebomb regarding Shuriken Cannons on Prisms, I think the range difference just makes them mostly useless.. I guess you grab extra firepower at 24" but do you really need it when you can grab a S6 AP2 Large Blast? Holo-Fields on Prisms.. I like the 5++ extra protection, it'll come through some of the time and can be pretty effective with Fortune if you can spare it.

Serpent Shields are generally going to downgrade your hits on Wave Serpents but I think Spirit Stones are a must for Fire Prisms given that they generally want to put out Templates.

Just out of curiousity are there a lot of Flyers where you are? You have the one unit of Swooping Hawks but I don't know that i'd rely on them to down the Flyer, any plans for dealing with that?
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:23:44 PM »
for my aspect formation im planning on two fire dragons and warp spiders, warp spiders in the past always seem to work for me and the ability to gtfo when needed really helps keep them alive. I have Crimson hunters to deal with flyers.

Offline The Librarian

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:53:29 PM »
I'll agree with Ebomb regarding Shuriken Cannons on Prisms, I think the range difference just makes them mostly useless.. I guess you grab extra firepower at 24" but do you really need it when you can grab a S6 AP2 Large Blast? Holo-Fields on Prisms.. I like the 5++ extra protection, it'll come through some of the time and can be pretty effective with Fortune if you can spare it.

Serpent Shields are generally going to downgrade your hits on Wave Serpents but I think Spirit Stones are a must for Fire Prisms given that they generally want to put out Templates.

Just out of curiousity are there a lot of Flyers where you are? You have the one unit of Swooping Hawks but I don't know that i'd rely on them to down the Flyer, any plans for dealing with that?

I'd considered the Spirit Stones, but thought the more aggressive option would be better. Pick up games at my store are usually on a 4x4 rather than a 6x4, so maintaining range as defense is going to be tricky . On the other hand, the Shuriken Cannon and Spirit Stone upgrades are the same points cost, so there's no harm in trying. I haven't glued the guns in place on the models, so I can switch them out until I'm happy with the load-out.

There aren't very many flyers in my meta. Usually none, actually. People prefer having guns on the table turn one. I think the swooping hawks will be enough for the time being. Their primary objective will be backfield harassment. Anti-Air is a secondary objective for them.

The Crimson Hunter is awfully tempting, though...

Offline EBomb

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »
Just to be clear, my only real recommendation was to switch the ghostwalk or shuriken cannon on the Fire prisms to spirit stones, I think you should keep the holofields.  It is the combo of the holofields 5+ invuln and the spirit stones that will keep them shooting.  4x4 sounds awfully cramped, no wonder nobody uses flyers.  Which heavy weapons do you plan to use on the wave serpents?

Edit
For the points that has to be TL- shuriken cannons and the underslung cannon on every wave serpent right?  I'm not sure what I'm going to use most yet anyway.  I need to try a few combos first.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:44:25 PM by EBomb »

Offline Bearded Beheader

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30:51 PM »
Well, what I have on my fire prism is a holo-fields and crystal targeting matrix. Your opponent craps his pants when that bad boy hops over his army and gets to shoot.

Offline The Librarian

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »
Just to be clear, my only real recommendation was to switch the ghostwalk or shuriken cannon on the Fire prisms to spirit stones, I think you should keep the holofields.  It is the combo of the holofields 5+ invuln and the spirit stones that will keep them shooting.  4x4 sounds awfully cramped, no wonder nobody uses flyers.  Which heavy weapons do you plan to use on the wave serpents?

Edit
For the points that has to be TL- shuriken cannons and the underslung cannon on every wave serpent right?  I'm not sure what I'm going to use most yet anyway.  I need to try a few combos first.

Recommendations understood. :D

I went with TL Shuriken Cannons and underslung Shuriken Cannons on every Serpent. I like the extra shot and range of Scatter Lasers, but I'm trying to encourage myself to play more aggressively. All of the transported contents (Guardians and Dragons) need to be nice and close to function properly, anyway. Also, I needed to shave off points to put the Shard of Anaris on my Autarch, and cutting 4x Scatter Lasers saved me 20 points. Also, on a 4x4 24" vs 36" isn't a huge difference.

Offline Tahnir

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:13:56 PM »
I don't want to derail this post but it seemed like the best place to ask my question short of starting an own post. last edition I played a very aggressive and mobile army with no stationery  elements. Now I feel bs5 reapers and a seer council to foot are too good to pass up. What I like to do now is a mixture of stationery elements with my trusted hard hitting combination of outflanking war walkers with hawks and Spiders. Does anyone have experience regarding a mixture of stationery and fast moving elements?   

Offline The Librarian

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 10:03:27 PM »
I have played stationary elements before. Devastator marines, eldar rangers, etc. They are effective, especially if you can sit them in a ruin and on an objective.

Those kinds of elements aren't in my list for the simple reason that despite being effective, I don't enjoy fielding them. I'd rather take a unit that can move around, even at a decrease in combat effectiveness, just because the movement phase is my favourite phase of the game.

Also, I took the list out for its first game tonight, minus a squad of Fire Dragons to fit in a 1250 point game. I played against an imperial guard Astra Militarum player who brought three Leman Russ, a Basilisk and about 60 guardsmen.

It was a fairly one sided first outing. I killed two of his three command squads on turn one, with shuriken and serpent field fire. Popped a leman Russ with the Dragons, killed some mortars, the Basilisk and a Leman Russ with the Autarch and Hawks. Precision deep strike with the fusion pistol and a haywire grenade shot is really strong, especially at BS6 or 5.

The Fire Prisms mostly rolled ones with their lances, but still managed to pop the last Leman Russ on turn 6.

I don't think my opponents list was very well optimised, to be fair, though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:25:22 PM by The Librarian »

Offline The Librarian

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 01:01:09 PM »
Also, any thoughts on these head swaps? I felt like the old Hawks were a bit dated looking, especially the helmets.

Offline Pdogg

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »
Love the Hawks with guardian helmets! That autarch is it the new one, if so his original helmet is already great.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:14:08 PM by Pdogg »

Offline The Librarian

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »
His original helmet is awesome, it's true. But I'm not giving my Autarch mandiblasters, so it wasn't WYSIWIG. I'd give him a banshee mask, if I had a model for one, actually. Ignoring overwatch is so so so powerful.