So here is a puzzle worth a mighty warlord. I have done quite a bit of research and so far came up with nothing; wonder if anybody would want to join the thinking process? The puzzle at hand is how to deal with 3 av14, here goes:
The opponent is the all-time favourite CSM fielding a setup consisting of 3 landraiders (2xTL lascanons) filled with regular marines complimented with some prince hanging out in the back. A measly 1250pts which leaves the opponent with 250 worth of points for other junk in a 1500pt game. Game play follows the scheme: landraiders start deployed in the centre, left and right wings. At the first turn move forward to claim the objectives. In case objectives are distributed – the marines jump out (tank claims one, marines claim the other); procedure is repeated for all 3 landraiders. With good winds my buddy can score this way 3-4 points per turn, which is quite painful. In the event marines are at risk they jump back into the tank which gracefully moves on to claim another objective.
In case anything approaches the raiders, 2 TL lascanons (hitting on 4s) on each ensure it doesn’t survive for very long.
By the time we get to turn 3, loses on the CSM side (mainly due to silly mistakes and tau luck) are around 300pts (1 raider wrecked, few marines fried) while tau is taking heavy losses (40% wiped out or ran off the table).
So what tried to take on this setup – few approaches; in every approach there was a core consisting of:
• 3 squads of fire warriors in a devilfish,
• 1-2 squads of crisis suits (each with 2x plasma, EWO),
• commander (2xplasma, DC, marker drones) + 1-2 bodyguards (2x plasma)
and then a few alternatives to take on the damned tanks with contents:
• Approach 1: Fully loaded hammerhead with Longstrike + 2x piranhas (fusion blasters); results: piranhas got wrecked almost instantly, longstrike took 2 HP off 1 raider
• Approach 2: 6x broadsides with railguns; results: took out 1 landrider after massive efforts and numerous attempts, other time ran off the table
• Approach 3: deepstriking farsight with 4 crisis suits (each 2xfusion, one with PEC); results: killed 1 raider (barely!)
• Approach 4: 2x riptides (ion acc, TL fusion); results: didn’t even manage to strip 1 HP
• Approach 5 (which actually worked quite well, but I appreciate rules on IC and infiltrate are highly debatable): shadowsun + 2x crisis bodyguards (both 2x fusion) + crisis team (2x crisis each with 2xfusion) infiltrating; results: effective, but vulnerable once done with one raider to the wreath of the other 2 and everyone that is around; alternatively quite problematic if deployment is awkward – CMS make shadowsun top priority, and if they go first, well it doesn’t look peachy)
Anywho, I’m getting to the stage where I recognise I’m fighting a battle I can’t win – AV14 all around with 3HP? Scoring at that? And 3 of those? Going to a bigger game will just bring more of those, going lower will reduce the number to 2 or 1 but in parallel.
Any thoughts folks?