Author Topic: Formation Composition and Allies  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Exalted of the First Host

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Formation Composition and Allies
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:21 PM »
What formations do you like to run for fun or for competitive play? What combinations of formations do you think work well together? Do you use the Blood host detachment? If you take allies what do you generally take to fill in the holes in the Daemonkin codex? What obligatory units do you wish you didn't have to take in the formations? Do you mix formations with a CAD? Thoughts on how you think Daemonkin would fare in a competitive tournament environment like LVO?   
10 wounds, 10 saves, 10 1's, One epic misfire.

Offline Nortado_Loco

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Formation Composition and Allies
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »
Typically I just run a CAD with the Gorepack as a formation detachment. I don't usually run a lot of foot soldiers so the Bloodhost does not benefit me much.

As for allies I have been trying to work in chaos space marines for the vindicators.... however the only way I can get more than one is to run the Space Marine Formation. If I do that I can take 3 and one techmarine. Hars to justify fluff wise though since they are loyalist.

Offline Voidraven5829

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • My40klife
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »
To justify it, you could just Say that the Vindicator crew and techmarine are extremely protective of their equipment and/or think they are better than anyone else so they don't care who comes near: they WILL kill them, allies or not. Its the same way ive justified taking "legion of the damned" i just call them shooty warp talons that are so bat-crap crazy they fire on anything that gets close.
Iron Within, Iron Without!

Check out my blog!
http://my40klife.blogspot.com

I build stuff too!
www.Facebook.com/MrJ5829

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »
I'm working on including a Gorepack with my CSM.  Move Through Cover Bikes and Khornedogs are great additions to any army.  Even better for my Red Corsairs as the Hounds of Huron.  Losing Nurgle is okay considering.  And just picked up a nice Power Lance so I'm all set to convert some models around.  Nothing says 'awesome bike squad' like a White Scar leading the pack.

Offline ak-47

• Battle Brother
  • We fight for Macragge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:40:01 PM »
I'm building an army using renagades and heretics allied with kdk. The renagades use the ordnance tyrant, this will let you take heavy quad guns as troops and let you fire your templates into units locked into close combat.  ;D
Since I don't care if my units live or die, it's a win win situation.
You can attach heralds of khorne to the heavy quad gun teams and send your cultists to the front. When everyone is locked in cc its blood tithe points for everyone  ;D
Ultramarines - 6000 points - 85% painted

Check out my blog
http://engineering40k.blogspot.nl/

Offline cgseahawker

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 09:21:17 PM »
I'll put this here in the event others are still checking in, so here goes:

I don't typically run the Blood Host anymore, as I just find it to be underwhelming in competitive games...yes, I'm talking to you, Possessed tax. A lack of assault vehicle options makes the Slaughtercult a real disappointment. What I find most effective with this army is straight up CAD, and I run two. I rely heavily on two units to do my heavy lifting, and oddly enough they both come from the HS slots: Maulerfiends and Skull Cannons. If you haven't used Skull Cannons en masse (I use 4), then you're missing out on a lot of fun/success. They hit like a brick against our worst matchups (Bike armies and dug in gunlines). Now I'm not saying I win every game against Tau or Eldar, but I rarely get tabled, and usually the games are close. With those Jink denying blasts dropping down fairly reliably (BS 5), you quickly cut down on the volume of shots coming back at you, and the Maulerfiends mop up the elements that are more resilient to AP5 shots. I also shoot for summoning in more Skull Cannons as often as I'm able (I rarely spend BT points on anything else). The best part of a Skull Cannon (beyond the obvious assault grenade effect/decent shooting power) is it's ability to grind up infantry in the assault phase. Very few other artillery units can do this, and it will really throw your opponent off guard when you charge with them. So in an army that needs to be moving forward, they compliment that role nicely.

Now I don't typically run allies, as I like to maximize the BT buildup, but the new CoTW supplement has some very tasty options in it...namely the Gorethunder battery. That formation does indeed deliver on the tabletop, but its a one-and-done gimmick, as your opponent will focus in on it and aim to get a shaken result if nothing else. So this is what I do with my KDK army, hopefully it helps, or gives you something to think about. Cheers!

-Rich

Offline Mahlis

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
I agree 100% with the Skull Cannons.  Easily our best Blood Tithe summoned unit.  I keep two on hand for Tithe.

Normally I run a Slaughtercult.  Juggerlord with Korlath, Possessed in Rhino with Dozer Blade, and 2 squads of CSM in Rhinos with Dozer Blade - 1 melta in each squad. I really like ramming and tank shocking with my Rhinos...plus gives the rhinos something to do the turn after my infantry disembarks.  Possessed really turn it up a notch if you have FNP rolling on them from the Slaughtercult as well.

As far as Auxillary choices...
Usually a Gorepack with a melta in both MSU Bike squads and 2-4 MSU Flesh Hound units.
After that, I round out my list with War Engines.  Usually 2-3 Maulerfiends, 2 Soul Grinders with Phlegm, and a Forgefiend.

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of removing the walkers and running both a Gorepack and a Blood Storm just to switch things up a bit.  The idea behind the raptors and the warp talons is to keep them in your deployment zone - in buildings - usually until turn 3 to protect your back field.  Using them to respond to drop pods or any other suddenly appearing unit is fun...and add in a Skull Cannon or two and that really negates the lack of Talons having assault grenades.

Mahlis