Author Topic: 1250 point Semi-competitive drop pod list  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Lakey Wargames Youtube Page
1250 point Semi-competitive drop pod list
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »
Hi guys I'm posting here as I need some advice in reviewing my new 1250 point Black Templar list. I have been out of the hobby for awhile recently bought back into it by a friend and playing Orks. I wish to rekindle my love among the Templars. I haven't played them since 4th edition and the days we had our own codex. I'm looking at building a semi-competitive army that will look impressive on a pre-battle display.

This is the list I have come to start with. I am hoping that some more experienced members of the Templar community will be able to lend their aid in improving it. I know there is a distinct lack of anti air within this list but I hope to make amends for that when I push towards 1500 points.

HQ

Captain Artificer armour The burning blade Storm Shield = 180

ELITES

Dreadnaught, Heavy flamer = 110
Transport (Drop pod) = 35

Dreadnaught, Heavy flamer = 110

TROOPS

Crusader squad (8 ) Initiates, (7) close combat weapons (1) Plasma gun (1) Neopyhte (1) Shotgun = 137
Transport (Land Raider crusader) Multi-melta = 260

Crusader squad (5) Initiates (1) Flamer (4) Close combat weapons (4) Neopythtes (4) Shotguns = 115

Crusader squad (5) Initiates (1) Plasma gun (4) Close combat weapons (4) Neophthes (4) Shotguns = 125

Scout squad (5) Scouts (5) Camo Cloaks (5) Snipers = 70

List total = 1247

The idea is to place the captain in the large unit of Crusaders in the land raider. The Dreadnaughts will focus on anti-tank duties when they land from the pods if there is any to deal with and if not to use the heavy flamers to push infantry off of objectives and out of cover. The marine fill pods will drop, unlease all of there shotgun and bolt pistol rounds into infantry targets before pressing of into combat attacks. The scouts will hide, camp on an objective in my back field while harassing and picking on high toughness targets.

I plan to be able to flood the enemy in close quarters with my infantry and dreadnaughts quickly. Using flamers and plasma to lower their numbers into good odds. Then hopefully weathering one round of shooting before tying them up and finishing the job in hand to hand combat and taking up objectives with the survivors.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:51:25 PM by Lakey Wargames »
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:
 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqSruhp2yl2gyqhiTuSrEA

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: 1250 point Semi-competitive drop pod list
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
The plasma gun in your crusader squad riding in the land raider will do more harm than good. Switch him up for a guy with a power axe. Also switch the shotgun neophyte for a close combat neophyte if you can. Other than that the list seems fine. You've got good amounts of anti infantry in the list. Is a bit lacking in anti armor, but at 1000 pts you wont see anything scarrier than a land raider.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:22:18 AM »
Thank you for the reply!

The plasma gun in your crusader squad riding in the land raider will do more harm than good. Switch him up for a guy with a power axe.

Ah yes, this is a good point. I was using the plasma gun as an access to a high strength/AP2 weapon. I guess with a power axe I will gain the AP2 goodness while boosting my combat effectiveness and dropping the chance over overheating. I will definitely try this switch up out.

switch the shotgun neophyte for a close combat neophyte if you can.

Another valid point. I did have 3 shotgun Neophytes in this unit to help give a slight punch before the charge but dropped them to save points and keep the numbers up in the drop pod units. I suppose a lone shotgun isn't of much power and again being a combat unit will benefit more from extra close combat attacks.

Other than that the list seems fine. You've got good amounts of anti infantry in the list. Is a bit lacking in anti armor, but at 1000 pts you wont see anything scarrier than a land raider.

Thank you, seems all these years away from Templars I haven't forgotten all knowledge of how they played.  :) Yeah I know, I will be certinly putting alot of pressure on the dreadnaughts to push any tanks with their multi-melta shots (Better get them practicing their shooting aha) and then only really have the lone multi-melta on the land raider. As you noted I'm hoping not to find anything too super scary at this lower end of the points scale. Thank you for your feedback and insight. It is much appreciated!  :)
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 02:44:54 AM »
neophytes with shotguns inside drop pods is fantastic, I can swear by them, it's the shotgun neophyte in your land raider squad I feel could be better suited as a close combat guy. The squads I run in drop pods are 1 sword brother, 4 neophytes w/ shotguns, 2 initiates with bolters and 1 initiate w/ a melta gun and 1 w/ a grav cannon. In a drop pod this runs me back 200 pts. It allows me to have a lethal range of 12 in and gives me a strong value of ap2 as well as a good weight of small arms fire. I purposely upgrade to a sword brother to give the squad LD9 because they will get shot to heck once my opponent gets a chance to shoot at em, and most of the time I don't want them falling back. You could probably do something like upgrade one of your guys to a vet sarge, and give him a combi flamer or combi plasma, to increase your damage output.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »
neophytes with shotguns inside drop pods is fantastic, I can swear by them, it's the shotgun neophyte in your land raider squad I feel could be better suited as a close combat guy.

Indeed, noted and change has been made along with your idea of the plasma gun into power axe :)

I purposely upgrade to a sword brother to give the squad LD9 because they will get shot to heck once my opponent gets a chance to shoot at em, and most of the time I don't want them falling back.

This is defiantly a good idea and I was pondering it while writing the list up. Something I shall defiantly be doing when I up the points total for sure. For now, I shall see how LD8 fairs me in a few test games and if needed maybe drop a Neophyte in each unit and trade the points in for a sword brother. 

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Tarmech

• Neophyte
  • Quanity has its own Qualitiy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »
I love this list but i think you should drop the scout squad with sniper rifles and upgrade your captain to a Chapter master so you get the stat buff and orbital bombarment

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 06:58:04 AM »
I love this list but i think you should drop the scout squad with sniper rifles and upgrade your captain to a Chapter master so you get the stat buff and orbital bombarment

Yeah man, I've thought about dropping them for many things before. The only reason they are there is to help against any monstrous creatures/anything with a high toughness. Also squeezes in another troops choice with OS that can take a point for me in the opening turns of the game.

I'm normally against having a single unit staying back on their own though. On paper they do seem to be okay within this list only as there is so much other stuff going forward and dropping down in my opponents face in the early turns I really do think my opponent will forget about them and they could then potently be the match winners. I guess only play testing will tell of this idea though haha. 

Lakey Wargames Youtube: