Author Topic: Vespids?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Vespids?
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »
Disclaimer: I don't play Tau.

Why does everyone hate on Vespids? They seem like an excellent speed bump unit.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vespids?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »
They're meant to hunt Space Marines.  They die very easily to Space Marines.  And they cost way too much per model to just throw forward like Ork Boyz and bury the enemy in corpses.  Not to mention they're a quick unit it a slow army.  Nothing in most Tau lists WANTS to move 12" ahead of the rest.  Easier to hang back, blast away and get the kills.

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
Sadly fluff does not always materialize on the table top, (lookng at you terminators). Tau can be an incredibly fast army if built for speed.  Neither of these observation addresss whether Vespids make good speed bumps. Tau need as many turns of shooting into an assaule unit as possible. Vespids are fast enough to give a decent buffer space to keep the assault unit from multicharging, and give the gunline another turn of shooting at the assaulters.

Offline Zggy91

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:00:28 AM »
I'm a relatively new Tau player but most of the lists I have seen run follow one of two mentalities, gunline or jump. For both types of list there are better units for the point cost. Kroot are a cheap tar pit unit that is great for bogging down assault units for a gun line and crisis teams and riptides are better units to invest in than the vespids. In summary there are most likely worse units for the points but because of how specialized the Tau are vespids are a mule, they try to do everything but do nothing well.

Offline ΔURΩRΔ

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »
In My Opinion,
Breachers VS Vespids

Breacher+1STR to weapon, Vespid+1WS.

9(8)x Breacher + SGT, 1(2)x Guardian Drone (4+,5++SV), Pulse Blaster (Assault 2 @0-5-10-15"), Bonding Knife HEROIC-LD (easier to regroup from casualties and stay in the fight as long as possible), DFish with Dpod & S-Spine (AV12 3+Jink/MTC), 2xMV1 Gundrone (bubble wrap 4-->BREACH). OBJECTIVE SECURE. [(222)/(224)pts]

11x Vespid + SGT, (4+SV), Neuron Blaster (Assault 1 @0-18"), Fleet, H&R, MTC, Stealth (Ruins ONLY 3+SV), Jump INF. [226pts]

The Breachers w/ Dfish are a bit faster & more durable in; getting them to the fight in that sweet ol spot they love 5" and effectively putt some hurt on the foe, esp if given the HQ Darkstrider Immune to Blind/Night Fight, (-1T) to anything other than vehicle giving your guys the ability to Instant-Death any Marine Equivalent and ignore their armor / Instant-Death to most Terminator Equivalent. [Very Lethal with Marker Light Support 2/4x marker lights gives you a: BS7 {marker light / Assault 2 (S5/AP5)} + 18x BS5 Pulse Blaster /+ Ignore Cover]. With Fighting Retreat you get the mobility of the vespid, then have a guaranteed 5+ save at min thanks to your Guardian Drone(s).

Vespids just seem to be lacking in fire power @12shots of (S5/AP3) vs 2(S5/AP5) 18shots of (S6/AP3) {2+20 if you drop a guardian drone for another breacher}, and durability. You will just have to visualize what you want and need for your list. Sometimes odd balls will surprise you and you may end up really enjoying how vespids or whatever you choose performs or acts on the table top; But me personally between Vespids and Breachers, I would choose Breachers any day because they are
"THE CURE, FOR THE COMMON PLAGUE MARINE" 2's&2's.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:11:43 AM by ΔURΩRΔ »