Author Topic: Starting adeptus mechanicus army, what would you recommend?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Lakey Wargames Youtube Page
Starting adeptus mechanicus army, what would you recommend?
« on: October 28, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
So as the topic title states, I'm planning on starting up a Adeptus Mechanicus force.

I plan on first using them as allies with my Black Templar army so can start with a few units on the table and get a feel for them before one day branching out and having a full on Ad-Mech force.

I have ordered both Adeptus Mechanicus codexs (Skitarii & Cult Mechanicus) aswell as a box of Adeptus Mechanicus Skitarii. What else would you recommend purchasing to one day make an effective Ad-Mech army? 
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:
 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgqSruhp2yl2gyqhiTuSrEA

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
Re: Starting adeptus mechanicus army, what would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
Haywire servitors and more vanguard skitari. If you're going assualt then ruststalkers are good (I like chordclaws and razors.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 11:06:21 AM »
Haywire servitors and more vanguard skitari. If you're going assualt then ruststalkers are good (I like chordclaws and razors.

Thanks for the reply.I do plan on using those above, I'm still waiting on my codexs to arrive but from what I've seen online. I'm thinking of taking both forces from each book  and a knight ally making roughly the following:

Tech-priest dominus
1 unit of Ruststalkers
2 units of Breaches
2/3 units of Vanguard
1/2 Ironstrider Ballistraii
2 Onager Dunecrawlers
1 Onager Dunecrawler (with the anti air loadout)
Imperial knight

Not sure exactly how many points that'll be my guess is around 2k? But it sounds like a fun army in my head and has all the units I like the look of. Would this be an effective force on the table if not what units would be better suited for Ad-Mech?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:08:29 AM by Lakey Wargames »
Please checkout Lakey Wargames over on Youtube for all kinds of tutorials, discussions, lets builds and more! :)

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
Looks pretty solid, would kick some ass properly used and upgraded

Comes to 2000 on the dot, not all the upgrades I would have taken, but I couldn't afford them   :'(

3 skitari vanguard (10 man) with 3 arc rifles and an omnispex (couldn't afford plasma), no serg upgrades

Unit of rust stalkers with trans razors and claws and the serg has a data spike

2 ballistarii as a unit (auto cannons)

2 dune crawlers with neutron lasers, manipulator, mindscanner, smoke launchers (unit)
Dune crawler with Icarus

Dominus preist with conversion field
2 breacher units (3 man) stock

Knight errant with storm spear rockets

2000 pts

Hope this helps

My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:49:31 PM »
Looks pretty solid, would kick some ass properly used and upgraded. Comes to 2000 on the dot, not all the upgrades I would have taken, but I couldn't afford them

Haha wow, I'm amazed you managed to make my guess into a list, this certainly helps put things into preceptive! Thanks. :)

3 skitari vanguard (10 man) with 3 arc rifles and an omnispex (couldn't afford plasma), no serg upgrades

Are the arc rifles the anti tank weapons? (Without the codex everything is hard to remember aha)

Now you've written it out like this in list format it certainly does seem to have nice mixed Anti-tank and Anti infantry which is nice. Of course the Icarus will light up the skies and skimmers for everyone else. Am I right in remembering the Ballistarii snap shot at BS2 aswell? So with twinlinked hitting on 5's can do some decent anti air aswell if needed. While the knight becomes a take on all comers. We might be onto something here aha. :) 

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 06:27:10 PM »
So after a little refining and snooping about I have managed to come up with this. How does this sound for 1850?

1850 Adeptus Mechanicus

Cult Mechanicus battle congregation detachment

HQ

Tech-Priest Dominus

TROOPS

x3 Breachers – Heavy arc rifles

x3 Breachers – Heavy arc rifles

Skitrrai maniple detachment

TROOPS

x10 Vanguard – x2 Plasma calivers

x10 Vanguard – x2 Plasma calivers

x5 Vanguard – x1 Arc rifle

ELITES

x5 Ruststalkers – Omnisecient mask

HEAVY SUPPORT

x2 Iornstrider balistari (Auto cannons)

x2 Onager Dunecrawlers – Neutron laser – Cognis heavy stubbers – 1 Cognis manipulator

x1 Onager Dunecrawler – Icarus array – Cognis heavy stubber

Imperial Knight Oathsworn detachment

Knight Paladin - (x2 Heavy stubbers – Rapid fire battle cannon – Reaper chainsword - Ion-shield)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:31:03 PM by Lakey Wargames »

Lakey Wargames Youtube:

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 02:54:16 PM »
Looks really solid with the knight going anti MEQ, the servitors and rangers getting anti tank along with the dune crawlers. Vanguard look good with the plasma, just remember to use doctrina so they don't "gets hot" them selves.

Only thing I would say is have a game plan for the rust stalkers before the game, because otherwise they won't be that effective at getting their points back. Just look at your opponents army and set them priority targets.

Are the arc rifles the anti tank weapons? (Without the codex everything is hard to remember aha)
Am I right in remembering the Ballistarii snap shot at BS2 aswell? So with twinlinked hitting on 5's can do some decent anti air aswell if needed.

Yes arc rifles are anti tank, same as the heavy arc rifles. They have haywire so they strip hull points like nobodies business.

And yes they snap shot at BS2 twinlinked so they are nice anti flyer units if the Onager is unavailable or has a different target.
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline Lakey Wargames

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 02:20:43 AM »
Thanks man! Glad to know my first steps into the Ad-Mech world arn't super bad choices aha. :)

Vanguard look good with the plasma, just remember to use doctrina so they don't "gets hot" them selves.

Yup, I don't think I would really consider the 3 shot plasma without it to be honest. The doctrinas make all the difference! :)

Only thing I would say is have a game plan for the rust stalkers before the game, because otherwise they won't be that effective at getting their points back. Just look at your opponents army and set them priority targets.

Indeed I had this in mind when I was toying with the idea of putting them in the list or not. I think I'll use them like a counter punch unit for anything getting too close to either my Vanguard or if a big blob unit tries to tie the knight up in close combat. As you pointed out deployment of them will be the key to making the most out of them.

Lakey Wargames Youtube: