Author Topic: Word Bearers  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Word Bearers
« on: December 06, 2015, 10:54:28 PM »
So...as there is no actual figure for a Diabolist, I've decided to cobble one together.  While no green stuff should be necessary, should being a key word, I will be hopefully cobbling this together from several different parts.  The one picture we have in the Istvaan collections looks pretty neat so I'm going as close as possible to it.

So first and foremost, the legs.  http://www.hoardobits.com/40k/da/DA-VETS-BODY.jpg Going to be one of the standing ones, so I don't have to do any extra modeling to make it look like MKIV armor.  Saves me a little bit.  The only issue is that I'll have to lop off that back plate, since I'm going to put one of the Forge World MKIV Word Bearer's Chest pieces on.

The head will be one of the Raptors/Warp Talons heads that have the MKIV grill but have the helmet pulled back into the horns.  And left shoulder pad will also be a Raptor/Warp Talon, along with a Lightning claw.  The right will actually be one of the Grey Knight's.  The backpack will be a standard CSM backpack.

The only issue I have is what to have for the other arm.  Any ideas?

Also doing a Cataphractii Praetor with a power mace, gonna use the Deathwing Knight's Command.  Should be pretty cool.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
Re: Word Bearers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 12:21:28 AM »
Ooo sounds like fun!

Kitbashing is the best.
Nothing like a truly personal all your own model.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
Upon further inspection...I'm really not sure about having a Cataphractii Praetor now.

The other question is, what should I take as a Heavy Support, if I'm only allowed 1?

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 03:33:29 AM »
What do you mean only one heavy support?

A standard CAD you get 3. Allies get 1 I think.
And it depends on what army this is for.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »
In Horus Heresy, if you take the Word Bearers specific Legion Rite of War, you only get 1 Heavy Support slot.  This is to show that the Word Bearers actually did not field many heavy vehicles.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:51:59 PM »
Ooooo.  Ic.

Yeah I know like nothing about 30k or the HH game. So I got nothing for ya :P

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »
A Sicaran is the go-to choice.  You can have Spartans and Land Raiders as Dedicated Transports, so you won't be hurting on 'heavy' armor even with the limitation.  So the one option you have should be exceptional.  Fire Raptors, Sicarans, Deredeo Dreadnoughts, Leviathan Dreadnoughts.  If the Dreads are Heavy Support.  Everything else can be fulfilled by the Elite slot.  Contemptors bring a lot to the table, and being able to take a Talon in a single slot that all act independently is one of Heresy's best ideas.

I also wouldn't bother with Cataphractii.  You'll get much better use out of Gal Vorbak in a Spartan.  Terminators are still just Terminators, and Cataphractii lose out without the ability to Overwatch.  There has to be something special for me to even consider them.  My Ultramarines have that, but Word Bearers just have better options in their unique units.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »
I like squadrons of Medusas. Large blast str10 ap1 barrage 36" Ordinance is so good, and they're a squad so you can get more than one! (Artillery tank squadron)

After than fill up your fast attack with a Xiphon (if you need air support) and/or land speeder squadrons (I like land speeder Javelins personally AV11! Yay no bolter glances) with Melta+Grav/Melta+Cyclone missile launcher (or las-cannon) (normal/javelin).

Give you fast anti tank platforms and some multi purpose anti terminator + anti tank pie plates of death.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »
Hmmm I was looking into that.  My second problem was going to be the Fast Attack.

Anyways, this is the conversion section so...we'll see how this turns out.  On a sidenote, might be getting an Erebus figure and converting that into my Praetor.  Since like all things, I don't like named characters much.  I feel it pulls me away from it being "my" army. 

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »
I always look at named characters as a representative coming to temporarily work with your army.

That way you can have your own colors then have a named dude painted in his own.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
Could always use a tentacle from a posessed or a gift of mutation from the generic csm boxes. I think there's a tentacle arm in that box.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 05:33:03 PM »
Nah, I was going to use him as my Praetor.  I like his head, and the outstretched arm, beckoning the enemy forward.  Give him that power maul from the Deathwing Knights, and change out his shoulderpads and stuff.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 10:40:40 AM »
Well, news on the conversion front.  He's completed, and I really like how he looks.  Very reminiscent of my Sterngaurd Veteran Sergeant.  On the other end...the painting, not going so well.  Yeah....I think I've gotten pretty sloppy and I need to slow down, back to the crawl of painting I used to do.  It's a tad bit upsetting that I have to work so slow, and do it on a singular model.  But the outcome I like a lot more.  Also the fact that my room and desk area are a tad bit cleaner means I can actually work at that.

Anyways, it seems I've misplaced my Severin Loth kit...which is highly disappointing.  Was going to convert him into my Word Bearer librarian.  Really like how that figure looks, and it's really a shame that forgeworld has not come out with a set for 30k.  I look forward to tossing up some pictures when I've completed my Diabolist.