Author Topic: How does this sound for a first-time Tyranid list 1850  (Read 889 times)

Offline FartherSeer15

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
How does this sound for a first-time Tyranid list 1850
« on: January 02, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Okay so my initial post was met with some awesome feedback!

Taking from that all that I could, I have come up with the following list. I am a fluff-monster and LOOVVEEE having lists that are both competitive as well as fluffy as hell so here we go.

This is a Pre-Planetary Invasion force:

CAD

HQ:

2 Flyrants with wings and TL Devours

Troops:

5 Genestealers with Adrenal Glands

2x3 Rippers deep striking

Fast Attack:

Dimachaeron

Heavy:

2 Mawlocs

Carnifex with Crushing Claws and TL Devours

and finally

2 Nid drop pods with venom cannons

Formation:

Death Leaper's Assassin Brood

Death Leaper
5 lictors

The Plan:

The Flyrants start on the board in cover. Lictors and the Genestealers infiltrate boxing in the opposing army as best they can with Death Leaper set up in a more center location. Turn 1 Flyrants lift off and zoom in, Lictors and friends shuffle around and fart out pheromones. turn 2 the 2 pods arrive and poop out the Dime and the Fex without scattering 6" in front of the lictor wall and the mawlocs bust up causing havoc on the flanks while the rippers deep strike in the camp in the back field.

Eh?! Not bad for a first go at a list with an army that i have never played before!

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: How does this sound for a first-time Tyranid list 1850
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:32:18 PM »
Drop the Genestealers completely.  If there is an army castled up so completely for you to be anywhere near them, they can and will blast them off the table Turn 1.  They will be COMPLETELY unsupported and most things that can't hurt the Flyrants will be aimed at them simply because they don't have Stealth or decent Armor.  Too many points wasted sadly.

Flyrants need Electroshock Grubs.  These are a friggin amazing addition and as you get better with flying them, you'll get better at engaging multiple targets with a single model and deal maximum damage.  Nothing like stripping three vehicles AND occupants of a few wounds.  My favorite game was against Orks doing this, cause he had the bodies to not feel like he was getting boned by an overpowered beast and I got the enjoyment of wanton slaughter.

The Carnifex would do better with Bioplasma.  It doesn't replace a set of arms so the Carnifex is still able to get the maximum attacks in Assault where you want him.  I've run one like this a handful of times and it works well enough.  It's very close to the old Screamer Killer type from 2nd Edition.  Another thing to consider is the Forge World variants simply because they look damn good.  The Stone Crusher doesn't have many more benefits, but they look the best out of the modern line.

Other than those things, the list is decent enough.  I still wouldn't call it competitive in the current meta, but it's not far off.  The only way to improve that is by dropping Deathleaper, three Lictors, Carnifex and Stealers for a Leviathan Detachment with Mucoloids and more Flyrants.  Which I call a boring list.  This has enough flavor to stay interesting in my opinion.  I might also look at more Rippers so you can have Obj Sec follow the Lictors in when and where you need it but it isn't NEEDED.  Most lists do just fine with the two broods of Obj Sec.

Out of curiosity, have you looked at #Lictorshame yet?  It was a major tournament winning list twice in a row with a similar concept.  It was before the new Eldar and Space Marines, so I don't know if it still performs as well, but it proved how good the 'bad' units in the Nid codex could be with a very overlooked synergy pattern.  If you haven't looked at it, I definitely suggest you do because I'm getting the same vibe here.

Offline FartherSeer15

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:14:25 PM »
DUDE!

That list seems to be exactly what i was looking for hahaha!

Well now I will be making modifications and planning my hive fleet!

I'll post up a revised list in an hour or so!

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 10:34:48 PM »
Yeah, lictor shame is a similar way to how I play my Tyranids. Only reason I run genestealers is in tandem with lictors and brood lords.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.