Author Topic: 1850 Iron Hands  (Read 1616 times)

Offline fortheeperor

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
1850 Iron Hands
« on: January 26, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
I've traditionally been a GK/Black Templars/Tyranids/Necron player, but I wanted to take a crack at building an imperial fists army.  The main draw for me was the Gladius Strike Force's free transports providing cheap fire support for the 2+/3++/3++FNP/5++ IWND Bikestar you can make using Iron Hands.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Space Marines: Clan Raukaan (2013) (SM Gladius Strike Force) (1850pts)

Demi-Company Captain "Smashfather" (255pts)
Bike, Chapter Master, The Gorgonís Chain, Warlord, Artificer Armour, Lightning Claw, Power Fist

Demi-Company Chaplain (115pts)
Space Marine Bike, Auspex

Command Squad (265pts)
Melta Bombs, Bikes, 4x Storm Shield, 4x Grav-gun, Apothecary
Lasplas Razorback

2 Assault Squads (100pts ea)
2x Space Marine w/ Flamer
Lasplas Razorback

2 Devastator Squads (140pts ea)
2x Grav-cannon and Grav-amp
Rhino

6 Tactical Squads (95pts ea)
Flamer
Lasplas Razorback

"10th Company Task Force" (165pts)
3 Scout Squads, stark naked (55pts ea)

The role of the bikestar is to threaten assaults and gravgun down high value targets, drawing fire away from the softer razorbacks and rhinos. With T5, x4 Stormshields and Gorgon's Chain on the Chapter Master (making the bikes 3++/4++FNP and the Chap 2+/3++/3++FNP), their survivability is as high as I could get it. D weapons are very scary to the unit, but their mobility should give them the chance to pick those battles.

With 4 gravcannons and 4 gravguns and 9 Las/Plas razorbacks, I think I've got plenty of ways to threaten High AV vehicles and mass vehicles alike. The assault marines and tac marines all have flamers, and when paired with bolters and some Las/Plas razor support can handle infantry rather well.

The 3 naked scout squads are a bit out of place and more of a tax than anything, and I've thought of shaving some points to get some missile launchers or sniper rifles in there.

What worries me most about this army is it's need to move forward, limiting it's firepower and causing traffic jams against gunlines as I move up the field.  The Dev's in the Rhinos seem stuck out of range of using their Grav cannons, and they always seem to get stranded.  On the upside, rushing forward with the Rhinos T1 and popping smoke does tend to draw the bulk of lascannon-esque shots off of my other Razorbacks.  Also, the IWND tends to help this army shrug off a few hull points lost here and there, and it adds up to an army with a powerful T1 gunline that can weather some withering fire that you usually eat from gunlines making it up the field in the first couple of turns.

With every model in the army having Objective Secured, I think this covers all of my bases fairly well.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:14:50 PM by fortheeperor »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: 1850 Iron Hands
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »
I'm not seeing your Chaplain anywhere.  Did you forget to put that up there?

Offline fortheeperor

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
Yikes!  Ok, fixing now.  It's in the points, but must have edited him out somehow.   :D

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »
I like this Battle Company more than others I've seen, but that's not saying too much.  I'm very anti-Battle Company just because it doesn't match with my idea of a good time, but this one has a good amount of aggression in there too.  I think I'd remove two of the Las/Plas in favor of Assault Cannons, and you should really find a way to get Dozer Blades all around.  Keep in mind that Ruins do not stop a vehicle.  Walls are not impassable, just dangerous terrain, so you can plow through them and prevent any traffic jams while also being an absolute terror when it comes to line of sight.

Online Celerior

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:24:07 AM »
How do you kit out the scouts? I'd recommend boltguns.

If your grav cannons are getting stranded, you could downgrade to lascannons to get the scouts missile launchers, but I don't actually like that idea. Somewhat better is giving each squad just one grav cannon.

I feel like having one tactical squad in a drop pod with a meltagun and combimelta is a substitution to consider. Especially to get multiple angles on a knight.

Offline Nodsarmy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
You can't give your Command Squad bikes and the free Razorback.

Offline fortheeperor

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 02:32:08 PM »
You can't give your Command Squad bikes and the free Razorback.

I read the rules for the squad, and BRB for dedicated transports.  I see the restrictions (units not purchasing the dedicated transport cannot began embarked, etc), and on the squad it offers both bikes and dedicated transports in options with no "or" clause.  What would disallow the purchase of a dedicated transport?

Offline Nodsarmy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 04:27:10 PM »
It's just another dodgy written one and I'm pretty sure this one has been FAQ'd or maybe it was the ITC stuff but its a no no, i'm sure you could get away with it lots of places but some1 might pull you on it even in stores games or clubs.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 11:16:57 PM »
Dodgy written or not, the rules as they are written do not restrict it.  Anything that puts a restriction on it is nothing but a House Rule.  It certainly hasn't been FAQed since there is no SM FAQ, and ITC is a collection of house rules at best and they STILL don't have that in theirs.  And worst case, you roll a D6 per game to see who's version you're going with.  And that's only if you want to.  The rules give a Command Squad permission to buy a Razorback.  It does not take away permission because of bikes.  Anyone that says it does needs to prove that it does because myself and a lot of other people have missed where that is located.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:19:04 PM by SharkoutofWata »