Author Topic: new tyranid player.  (Read 1007 times)

Offline zephyr789

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
new tyranid player.
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:34:16 AM »
so im very new to tyranids ( and 40k in general) and was wondering if i could get an opinion on my little list and maybe a few tips and suggestions.

HQ: Hive tyrant-wings,Bonesword/lashwhip,scything talons, adrenal glands, toxin sacs, old adversary.

troops:3x warriors- 1 barbed strangler. 10x termagants

fast attack: 10X Gargoyles.

i was planning on getting some venomethropes and a zoanthrope and then some more termagants and gargoyles.

Any help tips or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: new tyranid player.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »
Flyrants do a lot better in the air then they do in the ground.  Being forced to wait a turn between switching flying modes and assaulting is a death sentence.  Nearly all Tyranid players will use a Flyrant with two sets of Twin Linked Devourers and an Electroshock Grub template.  This is what internet folk mean when they use the term 'Flyrant' because it's just that popular and just that good that any inferior builds are the ones that need to be specified.

Now, the Tyrant kit doesn't have Devs, so if you already built your beasty, don't worry about it.  Just make sure your opponent knows what your list is before a game.

Warriors are a pain.  Include them because you have nothing else, but really think about dropping them when you get the chance.  Good choice in keeping them cheap.  I'd add Deathspitters to the ones without a Strangler, just for that extra strength in then shooting.  But don't invest any more into Warriors.  I've found that if an army can kill the three you have, they'll kill five or even nine just as easily.  If they can't even kill five, they won't be able to kill the three you currently have.

More Termagants.  If you're gonna take them, take truckloads.  Cheap is good, but if you ever feel they should perform, one in three can be upgraded to a Devouerer.  That way the ones that will die, because many will die, stay cheap and the Devs stay safe.  So in a brood of thirty Termagants, you get ten with Devs.  I still take Termagants despite building Nidzilla.  I like the tarpitting they can do.

Gargoyles are like Termagants.  Take truckloads or don't take any.  Atleast twenty per brood.

Which means, you're right on track with the next things you want to buy.  Add in something with more killing potential though when you have what's on your list.  Normally another Flyrant.  Maybe an Exocrine or pair of Carnifex.  Something that is a legitimate threat to enemy armor.  But it's a good start.  I think you have a good idea of what direction you're going in.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 03:56:25 AM »
First off, I love that you have the new Tyranids start an army box. Imo they give great beginnings for any Tyranid force. I would actually recommend picking up another one of those boxes just so you can make your gargoyle brood bigger and have a second hive tyrant. Make this one a flying tyrant though with two sets of twin-linked devourers. Next get a kit or two of zoanthropes. Having 5 zoanthropes and a neurothrope (look up the updated rules for these guys) will give you a solid anti-armor asset on the ground. For your Tyrant on the ground, I recommend picking up some hiveguard so you can have 6 extra wounds to keep your ground tyrant alive longer. Then much like sharkoutofwatta mentioned, pick up termagaunts.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:41:19 AM »
You must have missed that OP already gave their Tyrant wings.  And it's Tyrant Guard that protect a groundpounder.  Hive Guard are... not good for much.  Too many points for half hits...  Same box, but very different uses.  Though if there was a walking Tyrant, two or more Guards would be absolutely necessary for anything in 1000pt+ games.  Hive Guard only have the Haywire gun going for them, but a Crone is a better choice for the same use.

That's a few too many Zoas in my opinion.  Two and a Neurothrope, sure, but anything more than that is just a lot of points for no extra Warp Charges.  With the exception of in a Tyrannocyte.  That's the Nid equivalent of Suicide Sternguard.  Two Zoas and a Venomthrope out of one box is a very solid start.  Once you get some games in with that you'll be able to see for yourself which is more beneficial in your army and when you need to add them.  I'm still working with two Zoas and a Venom and actually haven't felt put out by them in a game yet.

Offline zephyr789

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
actually the tyrant isn't built yet, that is just what i was planning on giving him. im actually afraid to do any conversion work which is why i wasn't going to give him the devourers even though iv heard their the strongest load out  :( quite the pickle tbh. i also dont want to go the forgeworld rout because with shipping it would be almost 30$ for 2 arms  :-\ .

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
A conman substitute is the fleshborer hive arms from a Tyranofex. That way you get a Tervigon (bring more Termangaunts as troops so you can make the Tervigon a troop choice as well) to spawn more termagaunts and you you get arms for your Flyrant.

Defiantly agree with Shark. After you get what's been mentioned above an Mawlock could be a good buy. Correct me if I'm wrong more experienced Nid players (haven't played my nids in ages)
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline zephyr789

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 08:41:54 PM »
are any other weapon load outs viable on the tyrant? i'm not comfortable converting or kit-bashing for the most part..

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
It's not kitbashing in the same sense as Marines.  The Devourer arms on the Carnifex are the exact same size arm as the Hive Tyrant.  You literally just glue the piece on the Hive Tyrant instead of the Carnifex.  I promise you, there is nothing easier.  It should be even easier than with the Whip/Sword arms because those are actually big and need a couple moments more for the glue to hold them in place.  Because no, there is no other decent build.  But as I said, if you build it with whatever arms, just tell your opponent it has two Twin Linked Devourers on it and you're golden.  I have one with Deathspitters and one with Talons and will have another with those cool curved crab claws (which is apparently the ones Meros was talking about now that I looked them up), and might end up with another eventually with some other random weapon.  That's considered an okay proxy, so feel free to put whatever you think is cool on there for now.  No one will fault you for not wanting to pay Forge World crazy shipping costs for a pair of arms...