Author Topic: Greetings newish player  (Read 603 times)

Online Number6

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Greetings newish player
« on: February 16, 2016, 07:14:30 PM »
Hello all,

I recently found this site, and wanted to throw out an intro.   

I first started getting interested in 40K back in the late 1980's.  A friend and I had been playing strategy games (Axis & Allies, etc..) and discovered War Hammer 40K. He went with Ultra Marines, and I started to go Space Wolves, then discovered Eldar Harlequins.  We messed around for a little bit, but went off to different Universities and never got any serious games going.  Over the years of moving, my army got dispersed and mostly lost (although I found a few of them recently).

Fast forward to a few years ago, and I was speaking with another gamer who plays 40k.  I got the bug again, and decided to pick up the "Dark Vengeance" set (mine is the older Black Box), along with a second tactical squad and a Razorback.  I really like the Dark angels fluff, but also appreciate the Chaos Marines (their figures are just plain cool).

That is currently where I am at with my army.  I have found a local group, but haven't attended any games.  I still need to paint my army, and have seriously been thinking of painting it as a Dark Angels Fallen unit (with the thought of picking up the Betrayal at Calth set to supplement).  My only concern with that Is maybe I am going out too far on the fringe of the game for a new player. 

At the same time, I have picked up an extra Harlequin Troupe to go with some of my old Harlequin units I have managed to find.  I love to paint them, but know they are heavy hitting/lightly armoured unit that probably are not the best to get back into things with. 

So, at this time, I have a decent group of Dark Angels, a rough starter set of Chaos Marines, and a light troupe of Harlequin's. I like aspects of all of them, which makes it hard to decide on a starting army.  Things should get interesting...

I'm sorry for the rambling, thank you for reading,

Number6

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings newish player
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum 6, I'm Harry. I play Black Templar Space Marines, Tyranids, and I used to play Grey Knights and Ravenwing. Feel free to browse around the subforums, as we have members from all corners of the globe available to share theory, experience, and maybe help you decide which direction you want to take your hobby.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 03:43:21 AM »
Dark Angels Fallen have Cypher, who is a pretty good character in his own right, and some... not too great unit options that come with him.  But outside of that, he can ally in perfectly fine with CSM, but never Dark Angels themselves.  It is not fringe at all right now though since you are just playing CSM with the Cypher Dataslate.  You would have no trouble going all in on that idea, other than the fact that CSM is a poor army that's been neglected for a bit too long. 

Harlequins are more fringe than the Fallen would be, since they are such a small book.  Not a lot of tools to work with.  You can ally with Corsairs for rampaging tide of crazy colors and swashbuckling attitude, but that's Forge World and would not be recommended for a starter.  The book cost alone...  Urg...  But allying with Craftworld and Dark Eldar are legitimate options, and Craftworld Eldar are a lot of fun and can be a friggin BRUTAL competitive army.  They are without a doubt the kings of 40k right now because of a few things.  Easy to tone down to 'acceptable' casual levels though, especially if you're tossing some clowns in as you main focus with Craftworld there just to pick up the slack.

Dark Angels are good.  There's nothing wrong with the army, nothing crazy broken, nothing that should have been there but isn't.  Just an all around good choice and lots of options the deeper you go in as I'm sure you know.  I would start here if it were me, while building up the Fallen at the same time.  Dark Angels have the Unrelenting Hunt Dataslate that makes very very good use out of DV sets and the Expansion set and a couple more boxes of stuff.  I still consider it an amazing casual army list, and a Formation is a nice grocery list of things to buy.  No worrying about if you REALLY need something since it tells you how many units of what to use.  You just decide loadout.  It can't keep up competitively, but I very very nearly went that way myself before the new codex came out.

Online Number6

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

As it stands, I think the advise to play Dark Angels, and slowly build the other' armies is probably my best bet.  In the end, I know I will have multiple armies, but need to make sure I build up a functional one first so I can start enjoying the game. 

I still have a lot of reading up to do (I tend to read more than post), and do appreciate any thoughts and comments. 

Thanks again,
Number6