Author Topic: Sentinel build  (Read 2596 times)

Offline KBrown24

• Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Silent Alliance Gaming
Sentinel build
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:33:43 AM »
Ok guys,

I have a Sentinel kit and I am curious how you guys build them or what would be a good choice. I already have one and built it with the autocannon and not sure if having a second with the same build or going with a different loadout.

Offline Ragimund

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Sentinel build
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:04:31 AM »
I've made two bare-boned ones for a kill-team: one with a multi-laser and one with a heavy flamer.

I was thinking about switching the heavy flamer out for another multi-laser for the greater range and better potentiel against other light vehicles.

If I would be in your position I would probably make another one with autocannon and run them as a squadron.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:06:12 AM by Ragimund »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:32:31 AM »
In a squadron, you follow the same rules as squads.  Don't mix weapons when you don't have to.  Commit to their role and stick to it.  Autocannons are a great choice putting out plenty of high strength shots.  It's a somewhat undervalued gun that gets better when you have more of them.  Sit back and laugh as they glance fliers out of the sky, tanks into the dirt and strip away a few bits of damage on Superheavies/Gargants.

Heavy Flamers are a good choice too that I've been impressed with from time to time.  They are just weak enough to not gather too much attention, but just strong enough to deal some good hurt if they manage to make it.  But it's too hit or miss for me personally to consider.  Too many things have to go right.

Offline KBrown24

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Silent Alliance Gaming
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
I might stick with Autocannons for this squad and perhaps in the future start a second squad with another weapon type.

Offline Packetboy

• Battle Brother
  • Get's Hot... Not anymore. Keep shooting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »
I think autocanon is the safe choice.
-INCOMING BARRAGE!
-Don't be afraid brothers. It will be a victorious day! Let's  face our enemies standing, with fire in our heart and... Kaboom
        Last word of the rebel leader on Axion 4

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:37:34 PM »
How bout the multilaser? It's a str6 weapon with a handful of shots isn't it?
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 02:05:57 AM »
S6 compared to S7 makes a big difference against AV11 and 12.  S6 just underperforms against light armor.  You have to have a lot more than nine shots to make it really work.  An army of Str 6 Spam, absolutely, but a unit of S7 is better than a unit of S6 +1 shot.

Offline KBrown24

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Silent Alliance Gaming
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
Indeed, you always go with the higher strength weapon. However, we are talking about Guard here, so I still need to roll 4+ to hit and that is a chore with them.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 04:38:24 PM »
You can issue orders to units of sentinels right? Issuing an order to twin-link shots, monster hunter/tank hunter. Might mitigate your mediocre ballistic skill.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline MattyIce

• Battle Brother
  • 🖕🧀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
Those are scions orders not guard I'm pretty sure
🖕🧀

Offline SittingInACorner

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 12:07:22 AM »
You can use the orders as part a formation from the new campaign supplement.

Offline CREEEEEEEEEED!

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 03:35:32 AM »
I'm a newb, but I didn't think you could order vehicles/walkers, only troops. Right?

Offline Commisar Aecun

• Neophyte
  • Victorus aut mortis
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »
I play my sentinels armoured and usually stock. 3 strenght 6 shot's is good against most infantry, light vehicles and the occasional medium armour vehicle (av12, side armour, that kind of stuff), especially in pairs of 3 (9 s6 shots). Taking autocannons makes them only less cheap and loses you an extra shot, which I wouldn't find it worth trading for that extra 1 strength. Onother option would perhaps be taking the plasma's on armoured sentinels, giving them camo and then sticking them behind some solid cover or another tank. I'dd say just have a look at what you think is fun and what you don't have already in your army. Sentinels can basicly be your more mobile heavy weapon squads.

If you're planning on taking many or want orders on them consider the emperors talon recon company. Not only gives it armoured sentinels the possibility to outflanks as well, but you get one commander that can issue from a small selection of orders which aren't bad. It's a fun formation to use that isn't too expensive if you keep your sentinels cheap :)

Edit: I just saw the date of the post and I'm pretty sure you build that kit a long time ago ^^ but perhaps someone else might find this usefull.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:31:41 PM by Commisar Aecun »

Offline Private Shadderz

• Initiate
  • -Private Shadderz
    • View Profile
    • Shadderz Blogger
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 07:00:06 AM »
I'm a newb, but I didn't think you could order vehicles/walkers, only troops. Right?

^^
-Private Shadderz