Author Topic: Starting Tyranids  (Read 903 times)

Offline KBrown24

• Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Silent Alliance Gaming
Starting Tyranids
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »
Hey guys,

Im just getting started into Tyranids. Bought  boxs of termagaunts, hormagaunts, and genestealers. I am debating on getting the Codex(because of the rumors of a new codex), but other than more gaunts, what should I look at purchasing next?

Thanks

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Tyranids
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »
I haven't heard rumors of a new codex yet, but I don't have my ear to the ground these days.  What's your source?  You need a codex to play the game, so either borrow one from some kind person or buy one if you've just heard 'Tyranids SHOULD have a new codex soon'.  Like I said, I'm a bit out of the know at the minute.

The advice for Nids doesn't change.  It hasn't since Leviathan, it won't till a new codex.  Flyrants, Mawlocs, Mucoloid Spores, Malanthrope/Venomthrope.  Spam S6 Devourers whenever possible.  Cry when Grav or Plasma wrecks you.  Cry when D wrecks you.  Take small bugs ONLY if you're using a metric poopton with the only MCs as Flyrants.  Avoid most of the codex.  It's the same generic advice you can find on any of the threads in this category.  Nids don't have many options these days.

Now, if you have a specific theme in mind that isn't ever going to see play against top tier lists and factions, we can work with that.  However, without a set path in mind and a lack of caring about competing, you will just get the same boring guideline.  Flyrants, Flyrants and another pair of Flyrants, all built exactly the same...  *Yawn*

As you can see, I'm a little bit jaded since my favorite army just can't play in my local meta...  I'm bored of struggling to survive and casual games are too few and far between now.  But, all hope is not lost.  Tyranids can be a lot of fun if you have like-minded folks to play against.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:16:15 AM »
Get the start an army box. Get multiple start an army boxes. You get gargoyles, tyrants, and warriors. Warriors have their place in noncompetitive environments but die easily since they're only T4. Gargoyles are one of my favorite units to use in the army, I love taking min squads of 10 with toxin sacs. Being able to wound on a 4+ and cause blind is handy dandy.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline KBrown24

• Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Silent Alliance Gaming
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »
Im getting a few ideas while watching the "Beat Matt Batreps" in Miniwargaming's Vault.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »
Also check out Xeno Vids.  I personally can't stand miniwargaming, but Xeno Vids is a great source for consistent play and an average meta, even if it's just the two guys playing.  Mark's army is Unbound, but only because of four Heavy Support slots, also showing how evil Unbound doesn't have to be, and is too middle of the road for tournament play or harsher metas, but I learned a lot from his army about the fundamentals to the army since I started back up playing.