Author Topic: Starting out Tau with 1500 point list  (Read 1216 times)

Offline crazyman775

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Starting out Tau with 1500 point list
« on: March 27, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »
Hello fellow Tau players I have been looking at playing Tau for some time and have constructed a 1500 point list to play with and would like to hear your opinions on it as I've worked on it for a while and would appreciate a second opinion.

HQ:
Cadre Fireblade X2 both stock attached to the FW teams in Devilfish

Troops:
2x FW Team:
Bonding Knife, Shas'ui with pulse Rifle and target lock, 10 Warriors with Pulse Rifles and 2 Gun Drones all in a Devilfish with one of the Fireblades
Both Devilfish have Automated Repair Systems, Disruption pods, Point Targeting Defence Relays and TL Smart Missiles

Fast Attack:
2x Pathfinder teams
Bonding Knife, Shas'ui stock, 9 pathfinders all stock, 2 Marker Drones and a pulse accelerator drone for some extra range

Heavy Support:
3x Hammerhead gunships in a squadron
all have: Repair System, Pods, Defence Relays, Railgun with Submunitions and TL Smart Missiles

This is 1496 points in total

basically the FW's in Devilfish move around, disembark and shoot while the Pathfinders sit in cover providing markerlights and shooting anything in range to support the FW's while the Hammerheads provide effective anti tank as well as anti infantry.
the Fireblades gives some nice bonuses to the FW's and the Devilfish provide mobility and fire support
I play quite casually and this is by no means for tournaments but just a solid list that hopefully can win me games and is fun.
Again feedback from you glorious people will help me spread the Greater Good to the people in my area.
Thank you for reading, For the Tau'va!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:37:20 AM by crazyman775 »

Offline ΔURΩRΔ

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Starting out Tau with 1500 point list
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »
Troops:
2x FW Team:
Bonding Knife, Shas'ui with pulse Rifle and target lock, 10 Warriors with Pulse Rifles and 2 Gun Drones all in a Devilfish with one of the Fireblades
Both Devilfish have Automated Repair Systems, Disruption pods, Point Targeting Defence Relays and TL Smart Missiles

the devil fish can only hold 12 models including drones, so one of your FW teams will need to be modified to accommodate the Fire Blade(FB).
ie: 7x FireWarriors, 2x Gun Drone; FB, 2x Gun Drone. = 12 models
the point defense targeting relay is probably better with Breachers. sensor spines and dpod are the better options to get them where they need to go and protect them on the way. that will shave some points off to throw in to something else.

Offline ΔURΩRΔ

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:44:30 PM »
[345pts]
PATHFINDER: + FireBlade, 2x MV1 Gun Drone.
UI; Black Sun Filter, Pulse Carbine & MKRlite, Photon'nade.
5x Pathfinder Pulse Carbine & MKRlite, Photon'nade.
Bonding Knife Ritual.
2x MV1 Gun Drone.
MB3 RECON Drone (does not take up a seat in the Devilfish).
MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone.
DEVILFISH; Twin-linked Smart Missile System, Black Sun Filter, DPod, S-Spines.

You lose 6 inches of shooty but get 32 st5/ap5 shots @24inches and 36/37shots @18"/15" with the Burst Cannon on the Recon Drone which has 2x wounds.
Rather than FB with FireWarriors; 16shots @30", 28shots @18", 36shots @15". (FW'UI, 6x FireWarriors, 2x Gun Drone; FB, 2x Gun Drone. Devilfish).
(FW'UI, 10x FW PRifle, FB, Devilfish): 24shots @30", 36shots @15".

The Pathfinders consistently shoot 32 shots and go up to 33 when the FB is at rapid fire range & +4 from the 18" Burst Cannon.
The FW dont really see their volume of shots CAP until the 15inch mark.

Pathfinders Gain an extra 9" of triple shot than the Pulse Rifle & @36-24" they can support adjacent elements with 7x (BS3) night fight immune marker lights, think about ion/submunition hammerheads lining up shots with the PF marker lights on an enemy that is 36-24" away from this squad, then blasting the rest away when they get with in 24" if they even make it that far.

IMO this makes them an EXTREMELY versatile and CONSISTENT unit whos usefulness is extended +6" further than the standard FW, with a whole 12"(past the Pulse Carbine range) of markerlight scanning and 24" of of pure raw PINNING DAKKA DAKKA.
AND the Pathfinders get a BLACK SUN FILTER!

When you lose a guy then the number of drones = the number of pathfinders and then the majority toughness becomes that of the drones (T4), and the unit becomes a lil bit harder to kill.
[6-drones, 7-PF/FB]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:30:27 AM by ΔURΩRΔ »

Offline ΔURΩRΔ

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 04:25:41 AM »
Maybe this would interest you for inspiration for a list

[1500pts (On the Dot) Combined Arms Detachment]
FARSIGHT ENCLAVE

HQ:
FIREBLADE:
Marker Light, Pulse Rifle, Photon'nades, 2x MV1 Gun Drones.
DARKSTRIDER:
Black Sun Filter, Pulse Carbine & MKRlite, Photon'nades, Structural Analyzer.

TROOPS:
BREACHER: (+DARKSTRIDER)
UI; Pulse Blaster, Field Amplifier Relay, Photon'nade, EMP'nade.
8x Breacher; Pulse Blaster, Field Amplifier Relay, Photon'nade, EMP'nade.
Bonding Knife Ritual.
2x MV36 Guardian Drone.
DEVILFISH; 2x MV1 Gun Drone, DPod, S-Spine, Point Defense Targeting Relay.
[18shots @5" STR6/AP3 (-1T) to target other than vehicle, | (T4/3+SV)SM | | (T4/2+SV)TERM | most spacemarines & termies now suffer; no armor save, instant death or both.]

CRYSIS:
XV8 UI; Drone Controller, 2x Fusion Blaster.
XV8 UI; Shield Generator, 2x Pulse Rifle.
XV8 UI; Shield Generator, 2x Pulse Rifle.
6x MV7 Marker Drone.
Bonding Knife Ritual.

FAST:
PATHFINDER: (+FIREBLADE)
Bonding Knife Ritual.
2x MV1 Gun Drone.
MB3 RECON Drone.
DEVILFISH; Twin-linked Smart Missile System, 2x Seeker Missile, Black Sun Filter, DPod, S-Spines.

HEAVY:
3x Separate Units
LONGSTRIKE: XV02 Pilot Battlesuit. TX7 HAMMERHEAD;
Railgun Submunitions, 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Automated Repair System, DPod, S-Spine.
1 TX7 HAMMERHEAD;
ION Cannon, 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Automated Repair System, Black Sun Filter, DPod, S-Spine Point Defense Targeting Relay.
1 TX8 SKYRAY;
6x Seeker Missiles, 2x Networked Marker lights, Velocity Tracker, 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Black Sun Filter, DPod, S-Spine.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:56:54 AM by ΔURΩRΔ »

Offline crazyman775

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:50:55 AM »
I like the pathfinder idea however I don't really want to use Battlesuits in my army i like PF/FW's and the Devilfish chassis vehicles
so here's my new unfinished list:

HQ:
Cadre Fireblade X2, with 2x Gun Drones attached to the PF teams in Devilfish

Troops:
2x FW Team:
Bonding Knife, DS8 Turret with Missile pods, Shas'ui with pulse Rifle and target lock/MRKR light, 9 Warriors with Pulse Rifles and 2 Gun Drones

Fast Attack:
2x Pathfinder teams
Bonding Knife Ritual.
2x MV1 Gun Drone.
MB3 RECON Drone.
DEVILFISH; Twin-linked Smart Missile System, 2x Seeker Missile, Black Sun Filter, DPod, S-Spines.

Heavy Support:
all have: Repair System, Pods, Defence Relays, Railgun with Submunitions and TL Smart Missiles

I was a bit unsure of my troops as they are now footslogging FW's but I would like to use some FW's
Again any feedback is appreciated

Offline Rillietann

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 01:38:49 AM »
I like the pathfinder idea however I don't really want to use Battlesuits in my army i like PF/FW's and the Devilfish chassis vehicles

HQ:

Troops:
2x FW Team:
Bonding Knife, DS8 Turret with Missile pods, Shas'ui with pulse Rifle and target lock/MRKR light, 9 Warriors with Pulse Rifles and 2 Gun Drones

Fast Attack:
2x Pathfinder teams
Bonding Knife Ritual.
2x MV1 Gun Drone.
MB3 RECON Drone.

Heavy Support:

I was a bit unsure of my troops as they are now footslogging FW's but I would like to use some FW's

I'm not a tau player but I would advise against having the Hammerheads in one squadron, you've got 3 heavy support slots to use and if you aren't planning on taking anything else in those slots you are losing a lot of versatility by grouping them together. If you destroy a tank on the first shot then your other two shots are wasted.

Offline ΔURΩRΔ

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:07:13 AM »

HQ:

Troops:
2x FW Team:

Fast Attack:
2x Pathfinder teams
Bonding Knife Ritual.
2x MV1 Gun Drone.
MB3 RECON Drone.

Heavy Support:

You are missing a few of the fundamentals & strengths that really make the tau shine compared to other factions such as;
anti air, high mobility jump shoot jump, and the ability to not only contest but to eradicate others off of objectives, and massed low ap weapons to deal with heavy infantry.

Rail TX7's are nice but they have very obvious weakness that need to be compensated for, such is the reason that you can take an ION & Rail variants which supplement pivotal roles, a skyray is very essential to supporting these vehicles to acquire their optimal targets of opportunity, & protection from air units. the skyray can skyfire 2x marker lights at an airborne bogie for the pathfinders to paint up then every vehicle and troop that you have can now effectively engage the bogie with out having to hope for 6's. then also your troops are very squishy and need a lil extra protection and a barrage of seekers coming down on to the enemy before your troops open fire is exactly what they need to soften a target and then annihilate them.

CRISIS AVERTED!!!!! these are the guys that every tau army NEEDS and are the bane of any 2+SV unit. they can get in and out before anyone knew what hit them and will be your opponents focus of attention giving your other units the time and turns they need to get in their best positions. Crisis can be fitted to fit any role that you need them to pull off. This is one of my personal favorites that has proven to be very successful.

XV8 CRISIS:
XV8 VRE; Command & Control Node, 2x Fusion Blaster.
XV8 UI; Drone Controller, 2x Pulse Rifle.
XV8 UI; Advanced Targeting System, 2x Pulse Rifle.
6x MV7 Marker Drone.
Bonding Knife Ritual.

This unit runs @264pts gives you 6x Twin Linked Marker Lights @BS3 with the Drone Controller and 4x Twin Linked S6/AP2 24" Plasma shots (2x of which you can allocate to an IC or special weapon with precision shots of 6's).
Then at 18"-Melta Range you get 6x Marker Lights, 8x Plasma (4x Precision Shot Plasma) and 2x S8/AP1 Melta KA-POW RIGHT IN KISSER. then jump away. insert MC Hammer "can't touch this".

Breachers are so very overlooked as to their role and or usefulness, but if you give them FIGHTING RETREAT & A STRUCTURAL ANALYZER, by throwing in DARKSTRIDER you can easily maintain a 5" shots of 20 S6AP3 volley 2x, once in your shooting phase and once in the over-watch phase. this unit will be so very tempting for anyone to try to assault, but statically just wont ever make it with a consolidate D6" after firing over-watch and (-1T) to everything but vehicles, and removing the nearest casualties fom the unit that attempts to charge DS and his gang. In a game of inches this guy give you every inch that you need.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:17:20 PM by ΔURΩRΔ »

Offline ΔURΩRΔ

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:52 AM »
I'm not a tau player but I would advise against having the Hammerheads in one squadron, you've got 3 heavy support slots to use and if you aren't planning on taking anything else in those slots you are losing a lot of versatility by grouping them together. If you destroy a tank on the first shot then your other two shots are wasted.

AGREED