Author Topic: What unit should I use Azreal in?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
What unit should I use Azreal in?
« on: April 02, 2016, 01:34:53 AM »
Hello everyone so as you could probably tell from the title of this, I was wondering what unit to use Azrael in. Personally I was thinking about a command squad or company veterans, along side Ezekiel. While having Ezekiel use either divination or interromancy. Basically is this a good idea to take Azreal and Ezekiel in the command squad or company veterans squad, and if so what upgrades should I give them? If not then what should I use the two in?

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
Re: What unit should I use Azreal in?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 04:52:01 AM »
I'd recommend the Dark Angels libraries conclave of its still available as a dataslate. Take Ezekiel as well as 4 other librarians, jack the squad up with some powerful psychic juju, go nuts.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Tobas DA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
Hi,

Librarian Conclave is a good idea.

I use 1 of the following:

With allies: Grey Knight Strike Squad with 2 Psi-Hammers (Hammerhand) + Librarian Conclave (DA with Ezekiel + 2 Librarians). S+2 (Hammerhand) to entire squad + force for instant kill.

Pure Dark Angels: Ravenwing Bike Squad or Ravenwing Black Knights (Command Squad).
Read my older Post for this Combo (6th ed Codex, Post is not 100% up to date; but for the basic idea)
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=5270.0

The best synergy is a strong CC Unit with no own invulnerable save.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 06:56:07 PM »
Sounds good thanks for the help guys, but one last question where would I get the datasheet for the librarian conclave and what do I need model wise for one, is it just 4 librarians and Ezekiel or just the 4 librarians.

Offline ANevskyUSA

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Sounds good thanks for the help guys, but one last question where would I get the datasheet for the librarian conclave and what do I need model wise for one, is it just 4 librarians and Ezekiel or just the 4 librarians.

It is Ezekiel and 2-4 Librarians.  I won't post the special rules here because GW, but they are different than what the Codex: Space Marines Librarius Conclave gets.  You can buy a copy of the Formation Dataslate from the Black Library for $2: http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/dark-angels-librarius-ebook.html.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:39:55 PM »
10 man squad of termies. A brick to the face may not be pretty, but its still a brick to the.face
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Offline Dark Librarian

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 09:26:18 AM »
If I was going to field Azrael I'd probably field him as part of a lionsblade detachment in a squad of 9 bog standard Boltgun veterans in a rhino and just have them purely as an objective capturing force. They're hard to get rid of having 4+ invulnerable saves, having an extra attack compared to a tac marine and firing overwatch at full BS. The only reason I don't field Azrael with these guys is the points cost. This will set you back over 400 points and I could think of much better things to spend the points on but if you're a massive Azrael or fluff fan I'd probs go with this.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 11:40:33 PM »
Hello everyone so I wanted to bring this back from the dead and talk more Azrael honestly him and Ezekiel are my favorite character in the DA, table top and fluff wise, while I do not have their models I have proxied them before.

Ezekiel I have had great success with putting him as either an offensive character or defensive character, he has a lot of flexibility to him especially with the new Angels of Death powers, heck I even had him 1v1 a certain ultra marines chief librarian and mopped the floor with him.

But this topic is about the big man himself not Ezekiel so lets get right back into it then. As far as my success with Azrael it has not been great honestly more often then not I do not have a good squad for him to be in and normally end up throwing him into a 10 man tac blob with a plasma and combi plasma. This has given me mixed results but would like to know a good unit that he is very compatible with (fluffy or not as much as I like fluff and try to stay true to it I am willing to sacrifice it for efficiency sometimes) once again I go back to my original idea of  a command squad, this to me seems like to most effective and fluffy choice and if I were to take him in one the only upgrades I would give them is the apothecary, chapter banner and maybe the champion in a razorback. Alternatively if I am feeling the Deathwing mood I would put him in a knight squad riding around in a crusader.

The only thing I always run into as a barrier is what is the optimal point level to take him at, I normally play 1500-1000 point games because that is where my army is the most effective and I look at Azrael and say to myself 1850...

So please let me know am I out of my mind? On the right train of thought? Or maybe hit the nail right on the head (which I doubt)? Or hell is Azrael just not a good pick at all?