Poll

Which units should I speed paint?

Daemon Prince
4 CSM troop models + 1 Chaos Lord
5 CSM Terminators
5 Warp Talons
5 CSM Havocs

Author Topic: Personal Painting Challenge 2016  (Read 792 times)

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
Personal Painting Challenge 2016
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:23:12 PM »
It's been a long hiatus for me, but I think it's now time again for my Personal Painting Challenge!

For those of you unfamiliar with my PPC check out the first post and rules here: https://plus.google.com/112370739975906620682/posts/5eZZgPeoR8P

And a photo gallery of past challenges: https://plus.google.com/112370739975906620682/posts/Z3kkHhkgjM4

So this'll be my first PPC of 2016. And what better way to kick start my 2016 PPC then to follow in the footsteps of my first challenge.

Yep the theme for this Personal Painting Challenge is "Repainted".
Just like in my first challenge all the candidates follow the FOC, and are models that I painted once apon a time and really need a new coat of paint. Basically just older models that need to match my new legion colors.

I haven't painted that much so far this year. Just me finishing up the FailWinner prize from my holiday Xmas PPC. So I'm a little out of practice. So a nice simple repainting challenge is just what I need to get back into the swing of things.

So the candidates this time are:

HQ choice - One CSM Daemon Prince.
You might remember this guy from my Halloween PPC. And as nice as he turned out, I have to be honest, I screwed up.
When I first modeled this guy I designed him with a more Tzneetch like vibe. But when I was getting the models ready for the painting challenge, I wanted to paint the Bloodletters and have a Khorne daemon prince to match them. So this DP model just kinda got rushed into being painted as a Khorne daemon. But I really just wanted him as a caster style.
So he's gonna get a new color to make him more Tzneetchy.

Troop choice - 4 CSM troops and 1 Chaos Lord.
If you recall from PPC #1, I painted 5 regular csm troops. This time around the troops will be the remaining 4 of the squad. An Aspiring Champion, 2 csm troops with plasma guns and a troop carrying an icon of Nurgle.
And because I want to keep the choices in groups of 5, I'm adding my custom Khorne champion in the troops choice.

Elites choice - 5 CSM Terminators.
These guys got painted very early in my hobby career. Just done up in basic black legion colors. I think it's time for my own legion to get some terminators.

Fast choice - 5 Warp Talons.
And because like my first PPC, I didn't have any fast attack options that need to be "repainted" persay, so my Warp Talons are back for round 2! This time all 5 are up for painting.

Heavy choice - 5 CSM Havocs.
Also back for round 2 is the black legion havocs. Mostly because I didn't have any other options and I really just like them :)

So yeah that's the poll for my.......9th PPC? I think? Whatever.

So cast your vote to pick which selection of models will get speed painted in one week. The poll will run from now till 12am this Friday (April 8th) and then the challenge begins. I will have one week to paint whatever you guys pick, so from 12am April 8th to 11:59pm April 14th.

My work week has changed Alot from last year so the time line for painting these guys has been altered a little.
None the less I'll be waiting to see what you guys make me paint this time around.

So like always, Cheer for my success while wishing for my defeat!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Painting Challenge 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »
One vote from me for the Terminators. Best of luck man.
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 05:35:13 AM »
And it's locked in folks!

At 25 votes total the Warp Talons zing through at the last second!

Now I'll have until next Friday to speed paint all 5 of these guys. If I don't succeed, another lucky voter will get the special FailWinner Prize!

Thanks again to everyone who voted.
Let the first PPC of 2016 begin!

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 01:54:53 AM »
It's official.
PPC #8 was unsuccessful.

Totally procrastinated myself to death on this one. Left it down to the last minute because I assumed the Talons would take about the same time as a regular marine.
But them flying daemon bastards are crazy detailed.

It's a shame they all didn't get finished on time :P

Ah well, they will see the table top in all their fully painted glory one day.

It's at times like this I'm reminded of a song I like.

It goes something like: https://youtu.be/uTTO6D7ng3s

"The longest quest, is the journey to fortune. And while it's okay to do well and succeed in life, we often forget to live.

This is an expedition, crusade if you will, to go for that moment, when time freezes and everything changes. But nothing seems to matter anymore.

So let right now, be a point in time, were you recognize, that not all wealth is silver and gold. And that most of the time the prize isn't the end game, but the road towards it.

So join the hunt
The chase
The quest
Crusade
That feel
The lust
That hit
The rush
The hunt
The map
That marks
The X
The Treasure
The drums
The bass
The Hunt!"

I listened to Alot of music like this song while I paint. It always gets me pumped.

Anyhow!
I'm sure you're all waiting to hear the big news, of who the new FailWinner is!
Ya I see you all waiting like kids on Xmas morning :)

Well the Third FailWinner is
*dramatic drumroll*

THIS guy!
https://plus.google.com/118366430563326125275

Yep this lucky bastard has won the wondrous FailWinner prize!
And thus he will be getting a custom model made and painted by me. I will be getting in contact with him in the next few days.
Congratulations!

And for everyone else, better luck next time ;)