Author Topic: Psykers with Black Templars? Heresy?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline TheGoldenSpat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Psykers with Black Templars? Heresy?
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:55:21 PM »
I should start this by saying that I don't play Black Templars, but I have been looking into playing them...eventually. Anyway to the business!

This was inspired by the release of the new Space Marine psychic powers and the fact that Black Templars can take some very large units and both Grimaldus and Helbrecht buff these rather large units. I wanted to find out how ridiculous you could make those units.

'But what about the BTs hatred for Psykers? ' I hear you ask. Well I have taken this into consideration.

The Black Templars chapter tactics say that you can't take psykers in Black Templar Detachments. Not force, but detachments, and well would you look at that Spess Merheens have access to a formation call the Librarius Conclave or something like that. These models are part of a Formation Detchment so should be feeling brotherly love instead or intense hatred or fire.

Example List:

Combined Arms Detachment (1230 pts)
Chapter Tactics(Black Templars)

HQ
Chaplain Grimaldus w/ 3 Servitors
High Marshal Helbrecht

Troops
Crusader Squad
* 8x Initiate w/ Chainsword, 1x Initiate w/ Power Fist, 1x Initiate w/ Meltagun,
* 10x Neophyte w/ Chainsword

Crusader Squad
* 8x Initiate w/ Chainsword, 1x Initiate w/ Power Axe, 1x Initiate w/ Meltagun,

Crusader Squad
* 8x Initiate w/ Chainsword, 1x Initiate w/ Power Axe, 1x Initiate w/ Meltagun,

Fast Attack
Attack Bike w/ Multi-Melta

Formation Detachment (450 pts) - Dark Angels
5x Librarian w/ ML 2

Combined Arms Detachment (320 pts)
Chapter Tactics(Black Templars)

HQ
The Emperor's Champion

Troops
2x Tactical Squad w/ Lascannon

OK so the theoretical tactics for this would be as follows Grimaldus goes with the center group for minimum pain felt, and Helbrecht and Champy go on either flank. Then put one librarian with Grimaldus & Co and 2 libbies with the others. I would say have 3 roll on Librarius and 2 roll on Divination.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:07:05 PM by TheGoldenSpat »

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Psykers with Black Templars? Heresy?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »
You can't have a model with one set of Chapter Tactics join a unit with a different one.  They cancel out.  This is why Librarian Conclave is often attached to Dark Angels or Space Wolves.  No one cares about Blood Angels but they are also available.  Those armies don't use Chapter Tactics.

But since fluff is going right out the window with a hard kick up its backside, I doubt losing out on some pretty meh Tactics is going to be that big of a downside.  Have at it.  Or consider Blood Claws for a similar unit size.

Offline TheGoldenSpat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 04:05:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure that there would be ways of doing this list that would be more effective. The example you provided, Space Wolves, is a good one and they also have access to the Librarius powers. The reason I chose to do with Black Templars is to try to give some Templar attention and because of the other abilities that I can give through the special characters and to have fun theoryhammering.

edit: Thank you for mentioning that the non-Codex chapters don't actually have the Chapter Tactics rule. I just replace their rules with Chapter Tactics
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:08:28 PM by TheGoldenSpat »

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
I've theorycrafted a gladius strike force that uses Black Templars chapter tactics and Grimaldus as the dedicated chaplain for some fun fluff. Dark Angels Librarius conclave can bump it up from 1500 pts to 1850 with the added power of psychic support in conjunction with the adamantium will for some decent psychic defense against witchfires and maledictions.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline TheGoldenSpat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:30:28 PM »
That sounds amazing and probably more versatile than my blunt instrument of a Black Tide. I would love to see the list.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=6521.msg54213#msg54213

List I made a while ago, though now looking at it I'd probably change around a few things like boxing the missiles off the devastators. Originally I wanted to bring it to 1850 with a knight also.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.