Author Topic: Lorgar Transfigured and 30k Word Bearers  (Read 1403 times)

Offline SidjostromPrimarch DCLXVI

• Battle Brother
  • Preaching Word of The Dark Gods since 007 M31.
    • View Profile
Lorgar Transfigured and 30k Word Bearers
« on: May 12, 2016, 01:13:50 PM »
I've been thinking about picking up a BoC boxset recently and with it Lorgar to fit into a 1500 point list. Any tips on list building in 30k for a newcomer? Any advice would be much appreciated!  ; :D
  • Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, Officio Assassinorum

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
  • Part dæmon and proud of it.
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
Re: Lorgar Transfigured and 30k Word Bearers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 03:44:22 AM »
Below 2000 you'll have to take Lorgar as your HQ with the primarch's chosen write of war. That's the first thing you need to know as it will lower your tactical versatility immediately.

Secondly I'd take a second contemptor and give both double Kheres Assault cannons (mortis style).

Thirdly, Gal Vorbak, they're awesome. They have enough attacks to make rending good, can take 1/5 power swords, str10 fist on the champ and 2(3 champ) wounds with T5 and daemon.
With Lorgar you can take prescience on a 3+ for reroll hits, levitate to move around without a transport (at 1500 you can't afford a spartan) and the haywire attack from telekinis for anti vehicle.

You will have to take a Chaplain as word bearer rules require it. Either put him in a large squad for rerolls or give him a 9 man plasma support squad in a rhino with the word bearer relic. You will shred terminators, but be prepared for them to die next game.

Take large infantry with extra combat weapons as that's heresy style and Word Bearers are geared for it (morale and sweeping).

Hope this helps. Welcome to the fold fellow follower of blessed Lorgar, priest of the primordial truth! XD
http://Www.the-newzealand-wordbearer.blogspot.co.nz
My Horus Heresy blog.

We are all minions of the dark gods, one part in their great game

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:27:01 PM »
Thanks, checked out your 30k blog and was wondering about the uses of the unique characters such as erebus (gotta love the fluff and treachery), gal vorbak seem great however im not sure how id incorporate them into a list in smaller point games.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 05:18:52 AM »
The answer is, you don't.  30k Is actually best, and really only can be, played at higher point games.  If you look at the cost of a 10 man squad...it's actually overpriced.  Where you make up for those points is actually,and oddly enough, by adding more those units.  It's actually cheaper points wise, and tactically, to expand your individual squads up.  So 30k really lends itself to the bigger feel of nearly apocalypse sized games.  Unless you're in a club where they do smaller ones...most places will usually do minimum of 2k points.  I'm actually fairly sure it's what they even suggest in the books themselves.

Other than that...Word Bearers are geared heavily towards their Elites, more so than anyone else.  They're solid(ish) and definitely worth their points.  Even the Ashen Circle can be pretty devestating, 10 man jump pack guys...all equipped with flamers, and the Axe-rake is actually quite mean.  The downside to Word Bearers is their lack heavy.  Even in fluff they seemed to lack the vehicles and such of most armies...and their own Rite of War limits you to a single Heavy Support choice.  Which means you'll have to really put a lot of thinking into which is going to be best for you.  I honestly go with the Sicaran Battle Tank.  It's twin Auto-cannons fire enough shots, and have high enough Str as to be a major threat to a lot of targets (and no jink saves against it!).

Add to the fact that you can field Daemon allies, means if necessary you can fill in where you're weak with Daemon allies.  Again though...your strength is in your elites, and they are very very beautiful models to boot.

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:50:58 AM »
Thanks, checked out your 30k blog and was wondering about the uses of the unique characters such as erebus (gotta love the fluff and treachery), gal vorbak seem great however im not sure how id incorporate them into a list in smaller point games.

Erebus is great but as said, big games only. For his cost you can get centurions with the Chaplin upgrade.

Gal Vorbak can work at smaller games, deepstrike them in or infiltrate through warlord trait. They will shred anything they don't agree with. 5 man with a fist and a sword will do you fine below 1500.

Daemons are amazing. Blood letters are awesome. I wouldn't bother with pyskers or daemonnettes as they'll just get shot up. Nurgle could be good as a objective campers while your army advances.

Also point of note, cursed earth effects Daemon -Dark Channeled- WB's and Gal Vorbak.
My Horus Heresy blog.

Offline Chaos_Inquisitor

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »
Also, I forgot, heavy usage of Cult Troops.  And they can get pretty buffed up too, with a lot of bonuses.  Remember that Word Bearers were heavy on the usage of expendable non-marine troops.  They were close to being single-handedly one of the absolute biggest legions (probably were the biggest when you count in all of the non-marine troops the had at their disposal).

Offline Meros

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Horus Heresy blog
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 04:34:40 PM »
Also, I forgot, heavy usage of Cult Troops.  And they can get pretty buffed up too, with a lot of bonuses.  Remember that Word Bearers were heavy on the usage of expendable non-marine troops.  They were close to being single-handedly one of the absolute biggest legions (probably were the biggest when you count in all of the non-marine troops the had at their disposal).

You should only be really taking cult at over 3000. Between daemons, heresy go big or go home style, having a 3rd force that doesn't really give you anything beyond bodies is not very effective.'
My Horus Heresy blog.

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »
Despite the advantages I see in taking daemon allies, I will probably end up going pure Word Bearers, thanks for all the tips btw  :).