Author Topic: Cover Saves and Hits  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Stainless

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Cover Saves and Hits
« on: May 26, 2016, 03:48:56 AM »
I find myself in more and more games where units get cover saves because another unit is inbetween the line of fire!
That is ok...but i scored hits with my units and i want that they have an effect!
The unit i shot at ,get maybe a 4+5+ cover save of the unit inbetween....i do 10 hits and the cover saves, negates 5 ..what happened to that hits?...they magicaly dissappeare!

So i came up with ..every wound/hit that is saved by Cover is automatically allocatet onto that cover !
A group of 5 SM take cover behind their rhino and get a 4+ save ...Traitors fire 4 Las-cannons at them hitting with all 4 and wounding with all 4...the marines save 2 ...the 2 saved ones are put on the rhino at the specific armor (front/side/back) that is facing the shooting unit !
Pens and glances have to be determind for the rhino (or wounds if another unit is giving the save)...the rhino got wrecked and 2 SM die !

Template weapons fired without line of sight (Artillery ) ...score their hits from the final position of the template (center of the template to the unit or units it hits...this is the line of sight)
Template weapons fired with line of sight (rocket launchers) are handeled normally against possible cover !
If a template weapon scores multiple wounds against a unit only 1 hit is allocated to the cover no matter how much wounds get saved!
If a template weapon scores no wound u still roll 1 for the cover...even if no unit is inside!
Flame weapons and ignore cover weapons function as usual but always score 1 hit to the cover!

evolutionary Cover system... every non playable object (ruins, wrecks, bunkers, rock formations,forest) that provide cover save gets an armor value and HP ..note them, or let a game master note them (markers etc.)
Every time the HP of a cover get reduced to 0 it suffers -1 to its possible cover save , armor value and its HP are halfed (also add events from the damage building table)
When a Bunker gets destroyed (armor 14/ HP 10 /3+cover) put a ruin at that place (armor 13/HP 5 / 4+ cover) if the ruins get destroyed place a crater ( armor -/hp - / 5+ cover) craters cannot be destroyed any further !
A Forrest formation could be (armor 12/ HP 12 /4+ cover)
Cover is completly destroyed when the  save reaches 5+ ...covers with 5+ saves should no longer block line of sight!
At least thoose who like some RPG aspekts (and who have lots of cover modeled) will surely enjoy the destruction war brings to its surroundings !

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cover Saves and Hits
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »
There are a couple rules that do that.  Astral Claws have one and I want to say the Helbrute has the Cultists that do that as well.  It's a very good idea.  As a Tyranid player, I'd love if my screening unit got models taken away when my opponent shoots at the ones behind them.  I think it'd a be a very fun and fluffy representation to have Gaunts sacrifice themselves for the Warriors or Tyrant behind them.

You lost me though with the mutable cover.  That's just bookkeeping and swapping out terrain that models might be standing on.  I am not going to go through the tedium of picking up my 20+ Gaunts, five Warriors and Zoanthrope, remove the building they're on, put ruins, then do it all over again that same turn with a crater.  Not to mention most places don't have access to that many pieces of terrain.  Not if there's multiple games going in a store especially.  And the bookkeeping would really be horrendous.  I have enough issues with just Mysterious Objectives and more often than not I play without them.  As interesting as it is, I can't see that part getting steam.

Offline Stainless

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Cover Saves and Hits
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
You lost me though with the mutable cover.  That's just bookkeeping and swapping out terrain that models might be standing on.  I am not going to go through the tedium of picking up my 20+ Gaunts, five Warriors and Zoanthrope, remove the building they're on, put ruins, then do it all over again that same turn with a crater.  Not to mention most places don't have access to that many pieces of terrain.  Not if there's multiple games going in a store especially.  And the bookkeeping would really be horrendous.  I have enough issues with just Mysterious Objectives and more often than not I play without them.  As interesting as it is, I can't see that part getting steam.

Well i think u make it too easy for u here, so will i .. ^^ a.)20+ gaunts , five warriors and zoanthrope ..need quiet a big building (ruin) lets say from my examples above (Armor 13/HP 5/Cover 4+) lets raise the hp to 8 because it is a big ruin...
Im a SM .....i need to fire at least... 8 heavy weapons that can glance minnimum str. 7  that means 2 full squads of Devas. ok lets go crazy 8 squads of Tak. with heavy weapon to bring that ruin to collapse in turn 1 ....  i need 40 SMīs that "waste their potential" to kill the building ..directing me to (b.) 40 Tak marines with 8 heavy weapons meaning 32 Bolter shots (which cannot do anything against the building) will come uppon your whatever ...which u still have to save...before the ruin collapses everything inside will be xeno-ooze !
c.) I think u focus too much on the theoretical destruction of the cover ... especially with the bunker and ruin ..u cannot allow yourself to waste your big guns to bring it down, u have other matters to attend to ...i fired everything i had into the ruin and in return the hive tyrant icluding symbionts walk into my lines unharmed  ..great first shooting phase really  ;) .
(d.) u say too much paper work...lets look at the most games....normal field size and something around 6 to 8 individual obstacles or (covers) ..than lets say a 2000 point game, u as a tyranid player bring 4 times more models as ur opponent in most cases..have to move , hit,run,cover etc etc....and count down hull points from 8 buildings ,what could bee seen as 8 additional vehicles ...shared with your friend 4 each...is too much bookwork ?
(e.) Ok the building collapse in first turn ...u could mark it as a ruin than..ok it collapses again now its a crater...u dont have to worry anymore because its gone in turn 1 (and most likely the units within)

with the objectives came another idea: Objectives inside the cover ..get destroyed when the cover gets destroyed , will be worth no more points and loose all their abilitys ...
A heavily damaged objective can be lost easy if u fire too much on the units inside....so u must go inside close and personal (hey Tau ..khorne bers. are inside  :P )
And it could be added...the player who destroys the objective instandly looses the points it was worth ...meaning even the shooty shooty fishmen have to get inside sooner or later ...even the mighty Baneblade has to cease fire at some point ..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:37:55 PM by Stainless »