Author Topic: Death from the Skies and Sisters of Battle  (Read 789 times)

Online Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Death from the Skies and Sisters of Battle
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »
Now this update to the flier rules brings about some interesting changes to 40k, some good some not so good. But I feel we should really look at how they affect us Sisters of Battle players because it kind of means that for some lists we will need a flier. Mostly if you are using Seraphim for deepstrike or Dominions for outflanking, because the +1 or -1 to reserves can really make or break the game. As well as the other things that the supplement adds to the game.

From what I read of it, it seems that anyone can take a flier and that they have their own special detachment slot thing for just fliers. So they no longer fight among other units for types for that slot. They are no longer fast attack or heavy support, they are just simply fliers or detected transports if the conditions are met for that.

It also seems like pretty much any flier in the game can inhabit those slots, even if it isn't of your faction. I could be wrong about this but from what I read and took away from it is that I could throw a tau plane into the slot even if I am not tau. So by extension the Sisters of Battle now have access to Fliers which was a huge complaint by some people about our army.

So now that we can seemingly take any flier this opens up a bit more options in list making that doesn't involve taking allies and having to take less optimal units to fit in a decent flier or two. That tax on list making is now gone completely, which is fantastic.

Now excuse me while I take a deeper look into this mandatory supplement. I'll post more when I know and understand more about it.

Online Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Death from the Skies and Sisters of Battle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 07:47:25 AM »
After reading into the Death from the Skies book, it seems like it doesn't add any slots to the CAD. But it has a detachment that you can take that also you to bring a compulsory Flyer Wing and up to two additional Flyer Wings. A Flyer Wing is 2 to 4 flyers and they allow you to do the attack patterns and so on.

This is where I thought that everyone got flyer slots added on to their CAD, it is a separate detachment which can make list building a little harder for tournaments or agreed on limit in the number of detachments you can have in your list. But if you don't everyone has access to Flyers of some kind.

One of the interesting things about this is that the models in the Flyer Wing don't need to maintain coherency after the unit first arrives from reserves. This only really matters if you have transport flyers so you can send them to different places after the first alpha strike of their arrival. They lose out on the attack patterns when they Fly out of coherency but if they manage to end up back in an attack pattern in the movement phase you can use the rules for the attack pattern. You also have to write down what attack patterns you are going to use but depending on how many flyers you have you might as well write down all the ones that can apply so it doesn't really matter.

Online Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Death from the Skies and Sisters of Battle
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 08:35:10 AM »
Something I failed to add in was that the Air Superiority Detachment has a special rule called Air Commander that gives a bonus to your Wing Leader but also makes the the reserves bonus a plus 2 or minus 2 for you if and -2 for your opponent if you have air superiority. Instead of just the normal +-1 and -1 which is kind of important if you plan to use reserves in anyway is to maybe take this detachment to at worse cancel out the negatives of your opponent having air superiority long enough to get your stuff on the table safely.

How you get air superiority is by being the only player with flyers in reserve, which than lets you normally -1 or +1 to your reserves and make it a -1 for the opponent. If you have air superiority it might be worth it to hold a flyer in reserve with the -1 or -2 if you are using the Air Superiority Detachment to hold off your opponent from possibly getting a unit they need to come in from reserve.

Back to how this all affects Sisters of Battle, we can take a pair of Flyers through the Air Superiority Detachment and air superiority can have negative or positive bonuses to our reserve rolls for our out flanking or deep striking units.

For the Dominions and Seraphim/Saint Celestine you can start them on the table and just use one of the sisters transports and use scout to get close to where you need to be. For Seraphim/Saint Celestine they are jump pack infantry so they have the 12" move with a run so they can still keep up with anything going across the table or even out pace it and intercept enemy infantry models.

You can run the risk of using them for Deepstrike and outflank but if they are using the Death from the Skies rules and you didn't bring a flyer of any kind it is going to be a lot harder time getting them out of reserves.

I am going to have to look into how these flyers them selves do and start trying to figure out which are some of the better ones to have would be and how they can even possibly be used with sisters of battle . It is going to be a little rough because I don't own all of the planes but we can maybe get an idea with proxies and enough games. Also just seeing how the flyers do for other in general and comparing that to how Sisters of Battle could work off of it.