Author Topic: Where to expand?  (Read 4051 times)

Online Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to expand?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 07:55:45 AM »
I am glad to hear that you are continuing to make progress and hope that my input has helped.

Continuing more into the devastators however if you are going to be drop poding them I would highly recommend giving 4 of them grav cannons, and maybe a combi grav on the sergeant. Reason being is that grav is king right now, and if you put any other heavy weapon we have access to on them in a drop pod then once they disembark they are firing snap shots, due to them being heavy weapons, meaning 6+ to hit if it is not a template weapon like a plasma cannon, if it is a plasma cannon them you cannot even shot it immediately.

Going more into the codex seeing as however you NEED this as the changes from 6th to 7th edition for DA makes everything viable unlike in 6th, for example our flyers are also relatively solid now a days as the can carry around what is basically a vindicator's demolisher cannon, and has the potential to be Strength D. Another amazing example of changes from 6th to 7th is that green marines are a very solid choice for the core of your army and everything can now fire overwatch at BS 2, which can be modified to BS 3 and even an unwieldy FULL BS IN OVERWATCH. HQs are very good too, while our named characters are not the best some of them are very good Ezekiel is still a monster along with Sammael in both varients, even generic HQs are good as almost all of them minus 1 are fearless.

Hope this helps.
  • Dark Angels

Offline Number6

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
Thanks,

I'll look at including those. The set comes with only 2 grav cannons, but might be a good start.

N6 

Offline Charley359

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 07:42:39 AM »
Plasma Cannons are not bad for a devastator squad and plasma based weapons are Dark Angels favorite weapon type.  But you do have to worry about them failing their "Get Hot" rolls.  I've failed my rolls too many times to go all out with plasma. 

On my two Devastator squads I've got one squad with 4 Lascannons which is my favorite weapon for them and the one I do run the most.  You cannot go wrong with a squad of S 9 weapons on your side.  My other squad has 4 Missile Launchers.  I have found that you need to have the 48" range weapons to help balance the fact that most opposing factions also have 48" or greater weapon ranges also. 

I'm not against plasma weapons since I do have them scattered throughout all of my greenwing and ravenwing units.  I tend to use more plasma weapons along with heavy bolters when I am the defender and I'll have them concentrated around the objectives my opponent has to take for the win.  But with every 40K game I've played being primarily range based attacks.  I found out quickly that the better the range and the strongest weapons, the better your chances for victory.   
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:46:47 AM by Charley359 »