Author Topic: Henchmen  (Read 860 times)

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Henchmen
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:08:26 PM »
Have any of you used the mystics? I am going to run 15 cultists as either acolytes, psykers, or mystics. Usually I run these as daemon hosts, but I'd like to switch things up. Psykers seem like a solid choice and at only 10 points why not? Mystics could be good for all of my deep striking stuff, but lack any punch, or take them as 4 point a piece acolytes? I have 2 rhinos and a land raider to run them in. Any suggestions? Acolytes with melta bombs for 9 points?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:37:58 PM by SailorCSN »
So many books, so many Burning questions.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Henchmen
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
I used them for a while a couple of years ago. They certainly help with accurate Deep Strikes. Particularly for something with a large base like a Dreadknight. The problem is getting them someplace where they are useful. With the FAQ stating that abilities don't radiate from a vehicles hull, the Mystic and his unit would have to hop out. Since Deep Strike reserves occur before disembarking units (at least that's how I understand the order of operations), the mystic would have to be exposed to fire for at least one Game Turn. Not to mention have survived the journey to get to that point.

In the end, I gave up on the concept because there were too many points of failure for it to be reliable. And that was before the FAQ. It'd be even worse now.

Not saying he's useless. I could see a case for defensive deployment but he's very situational.

Offline SailorCSN

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Henchmen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
I see your point...... should I get 15 more and just use them for cheap filler?
So many books, so many Burning questions.