Author Topic: 500 pt List From the begining  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Brother Knight Ryko

• Initiate
    • View Profile
500 pt List From the begining
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:01:41 AM »
Ok so me an a friend are both getting back in to Warhammer 40k and we are doing a kinda slow grow league starting at 500. I have no models as of now and I know I have to have a HQ and 2 troops. so here are my 2 lists at 500 pts so far. We are allowing a 5pt deviation. Mind you I'm trying to keep all models for when we increase the points. And of coarse I,m Black Templar's.

#1(Elite Version)
*Captain                           90pts
  +Shield Eternal               50pts
  +Teeth of Terra                35pts
  +Artificer Armour            20pts
  +Digital Weapons            10pts
  +Auspex                          5pts
=210pts

*Tactical Squad x2             70pts=140pts
  +combi-grav                    10pts=20pts
=160pts

*Stormtalon Gunship         110pts
  +Twinlinked lasscannon    15pts
=125pts
Total= 495pts

#2(Flex/Growth Version)

*Cartain                             90pts
  +Storm shield                 15pts
  +Storm Bolter                 5pts
=110pts

*Command Squad            90pts
=90pts

*Scout Squad x2              55pts=110pts
  +5x Sniper Rifle              5pts=10pts
=120pts

*Stormtalon Gunship       110pts
=110pts

*Predator                         75pts
=75pts
Total=505pts

Any comments help plz feel free to pick it apart.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: 500 pt List From the begining
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
here is my 2 cents, a lot of my suggestions are theory as i have not played templars in 7th but have looked at them/ researched a lot.

List 1:

- as per the new draft FAQ you can only take one chapter relic per model.
- your captain is very very expensive for such the low points level and I fear it may not work well, especially as a smart player will just avoid and shoot him.
- Tactical squads in black templars! you filthy heretic!, but seriously you may be better off taking a crusader squad even if they just have boltguns and combi grav like your tac squad.
- the stormtalon is an ok choice, bear in mind the rules may have changed slightly with the new death from the skies book (i dont know what is in it fully) and i personally prefer the typhoon missiles on it, but to each his own.

list 2:

-captain is much better priced here, i would recommend some kind of melee weapon though, either a power sword or relic blade.
- Command squad would be better with an apothecary for the feel no pain.
- scouts are ok, but if you wanted to fit the theme of templars make them melee squads/ make them crusader squads.
- stormtalon again is ok
- predator again is ok, but does a similar job to a lot of the army in that it kills troops very well but not much use on heavier targets, does provide some armour 13 though which is good

Overall my reccomendation for a list would be somthing like this

HQ
- Emperors champion: (140), he is a good HQ with AP2 on his sword and a 2+ armour save with 4+ invuln, comes reletively cheap and fits the theme for templars, he has an awesome model and is cooler than any captain.

Troops
- Crusader squad 1: (95 flamer, 100 melta) 5 initiates 2 neophytes all with bolt pistols and chain swords and one with a flamer or meltagun

- Crusader squad 2: (95 flamer, 100 melta) 5 initiates 2 neophytes all with bolt pistols and chain swords and one with a flamer or meltagun

both crusader squads are meant to move up and shoot the melta at tough things such as monsters/vehicles and then charge what they can, but the emperors champion with one of them to keep him safe. put the neophytes(scouts) in front to die first to shooting/overwatch so that you gain rage/counterattack from your chapter tactics.

Fast attack:

- since you seem to like stormtalons and hey they look cool,
- Stormtalon with typhoon missile launcher (130) provides, anti vehicle and anti infantry with the missiles.

This leaves you with 30 points if you take the melta in the crusader squads. with this you could give the crusader squads some power weapons add more neophytes (scouts) or even drop a melta and take a flamer instead and add a rhino for your emperors champion squad.

This list was made mostly to give a nice feel to the army at this low points level and should be easy to expand on, plus should be reletively cheap since you don't need to buy too much stuff.

also what is your friend playing? It would make people make lists :D

Online Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »
Why take Black Templars chapter tactics if you aren't really going to make use of their assets?

Here's what Im thinkin-

Chaplain, bare bones

A crusader squad with 1 sword brother, 4 initiates, and 4 neophytes. Give one of the initiates a powerfist, and another one a melta gun, throw em in a rhino.

Take another crusader squad, 5 guys with bolt guns and a plasma gun in a razorback with heavy bolters.

Then take two separate attack bikes to fill out the rest of your points. You have your troops covered, multiple mobile targets on the ground, and you probably shouldn't bring a flier to a game of 500 pts, unless your opponent wants to bring one as well. I dunno.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »
I will be going against Centurions with grave+amps.

And I take black Templar's with this build because its a slow grow league they wont assault into Cents  with a big HQ for melee mixed in with them Just because "Hay im Templar's lets charge everything". I know there tactics and I don't think they would do that just cause. I will play smart and keep them at range till ive done enough to make my assault as assured as possible.

And i would never run a Champion hes worthless  always has been and i wouldn't take him latter as the points increase.

And I would only take crusader squads at higher points to get the real benefit of taking the Landrader.

Remember all models are going to be carried foreword as best as possible.

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »
And Yes a HQ can take multiple relics

it says  "A Captain or Chapter Master may take items from the Melee Weapons, Ranged weapons, Special Issue Wargear and/ or Chapter Relics list.

Follow it up with this
Chapter Relics:
"Only one of each Chapter Relic may be taken per army. A model may replace one weapon with one of the following:"

Captain / Chapter Master
Wargear:
*Bolt Pistol
*Chainsword
*Frag grenades
*Krak grenades
*Iron Halo
*Orbital Strike
Only things that are considered weapons on here to be swapped out are the Bolt Pistol and Chainsword. So you can swap out the Bolt Pistol and Chainsword for any combination of "The Primarch's Wrath", "Teeth of Terra" and "The Burning Blade"

items like "The Shield Eternal" and "The Armour Indomitus" are not weapons

"The Shield Eternal" Is a Special Storm Shield and you can add a storm shield to a Captian/Chaptermaster for 15pts no replacing weapons! (storm shields do remove the +1 for duel wielding but does not take a weapon slot)

"The Armour Indomitus" Simply has a foot not and acts like replacing your regular SM armor with Artificer Armour.
Foot note:(5) "Does not replace one of the character's weapons. May not be chosen by models wearing Terminator armour."

I think I got all the rulings in line.

Online Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:39:17 AM »
I gotta disagree about the emperor's champ being worthless, he got fixed in the most recent book so he doesn't have to use those dumb stances anymore, so he's Str6 ap2 at I5. Even with two wounds that's hard to trivialize. Only things you really can't throw him at are named guys with eternal warrior.

Crusader squads I think you might be underestimating as well, since they can fill out numbers cheaper than a lot of space marine armies. Sure having a land raider crusader is a big positive, but they're also on a small list of choices you can hide a powerfist in that wont get challenged out.  Going against centurion devastators with gravcannons is scary yeah, but wouldn't having the neophyte chaff in your crusader squads lessen the effectiveness of those weapons?

I do agree that Black Templars as an army makes for a more effective mid field force, many of its lethal shooting being in the 12-24" range, and they aren't dumb enough to get angry and just bum rush every available target. How far will this slow-grow league go? 1500? 2k?
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »
I'm thinking we will stop around 2000pts or whatever our tournament scene is set at.

And ya i got a bit defensive in my reply's. I think it was being called a heretic that got me going. Been playing BT for a long time now and it's not something I like to be called.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 11:57:39 AM »
You are right on the taking more than one relic, just not two weapons, i was incorrect.

"And ya i got a bit defensive in my reply's. I think it was being called a heretic that got me going. Been playing BT for a long time now and it's not something I like to be called."

Sorry if I offended you, it was only meant as a light hearted joke.

I fully agree with Dirty harry in regards to the Emperors champion and Crusader squads, I think both are good choices, but decide for yourself what would work best for your army.

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
I do like the Crusader squads and as points grow ill see about fitting some in. But everything i have in list #2 is meant to stay and be upgraded later. I't will evolve into a BT Assault army just not like i normally play.

Offline goodguy

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 07:42:56 AM »
Just spit balling here because I don't have a Black Templar force yet but what about crusader squads with a heavy and a special weapon?  That was always something I really liked about them. You can actually take two good weapons in a 5 man squad. You could take two crusader squads with combi grav, grav gun and a grav cannon. That should give those centurions something to think about and you can still use that to expand on later with an all grav Devastator squad. I'm working on Imperial Fists at the moment though so I may have devastators on the brain. After that add in the EC or chaplain depending on your tastes and through in a 5 man scout squad. That should make it very easy to build on in the future with lots of templar-y goodness.

I think this may actually be where I start my own small Templar force.