Author Topic: Want to start Tempestus, but what do I get?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
Want to start Tempestus, but what do I get?
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:17:26 AM »
Hello all of you tempestus players so the title of this is self explanatory, I want to start tempestus but do not know what to buy. I am currently still working on my Dark Angel army and do not have a big source of income due to my age. I know that the best buy for them right off the bat is obviously the start collecting box they have out. But what should I get from there, another start collecting box? or perhaps some separate boxes all together i.e. a squad of scions?  Most of the people in my area play one of the 3 either, space marines (vanilla), eldar (with nothing but scatter lasers, serpent cheese, of coarse the not as potent but still ever so scary warp spiders and wraith guard with D flamers), or tau (with the flavor or drone cheese). While from what I can tell in the codex we might be able to hold our own against the tau, the eldar would crush us and the marines we could probably handle fairly well. I do not like to list tailor however but is there any advantage we can hold over the tau and eldar, maybe take an allied detachment of psykers?
  • Dark Angels

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
Re: Want to start Tempestus, but what do I get?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 10:36:58 PM »
Started a new Militarum Tempestus army as well, recently.

Imho, the Start Collecting! set is so ridiculously good, that I bought 4 of them. Now I have all the infantry I want and 4 Tauroxes (which is probably not as many as I want).

My advice would be - do not mistake Scions for just "a bit another Imperial Guard". They are not. They are more like imperial version of Dark Eldar and the best army for them, imho, will be a crazy MSU. With that in mind, you should think of what do you want your army to look like.

I have that easy, intending to use my Scions as allies to my Baronial Court. If I were not, I would buy more Tauroxes (like 7 in total + a single Imperial Knight, which really, really helps to fill the gaps in the strategy).

On small games, I would probably use the Hellrain Brigade from the Start Collecting! set (so Comissar, Command Squad, regular Squad, one Taurox), would buy dedicated transports for both the squads (so Taurox 3x total) and add Inquisition - Inquisitor, Henchman band (shooty or CC, not sure yet), a flyer (Valkyra or Stormraven? The first is more stylish, the second is better) and hide the Comissar into the flyer, so that the Scions could respawn.
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:58:39 AM »
Thank you for the advice on what to get for the army. I personally still think some psyker support would be good due to the sheer amount of people using it now a days. Personally though I am with you on buying more tauroxs if I am going to play them as there own army. Also if I were to play them alone would it be best to have 1 of both formations in the book? so a ground assault and airborne assault formation? And if so what points level should they both be taken at I feel like 1000 would be to little maybe 1500?
  • Dark Angels

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »
It seems to me that Scions work best on lower point levels, as there are no crazy deathstars (like Thunderdome, Kennelstar etc.)

A friend of mine suggested, that we should ignore the formations and go for a simple CAD, as all the Scions and their Taurox transport will get Objective Secured - and the army will be a ridiculous MSU.

As for the psykers, I do still adhere to the theory, that in 7e, you either go in a big style (several psykers, 11+ warp charges every turn) or not at all. Except for my Grey Knights, my armies often have no psychic capabilities at all and I'm mostly fine  ;)
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 03:20:31 PM »
Fair enough, the reason I keep bringing up psykers is because most of the people I play against use Eldar and take a seerer council. I sopose I could us relic plating on the tauroxes to turn the tide a little.

But I do also like the idea of the CAD as objective secured is always good and we still have the orders to make our guns twin-linked for a turn without the need for the formations. Plus there is no need to take a commissar now, I never saw the point for them in the codex to begin with, aside from needing them in formations, I would much rather have a command squad.

Once again though thank you for the help.
  • Dark Angels

Offline Oneeye

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
I run tempestus and Drop troopers. If you go second, You can null deploy, drop a drop turret on the first turn. Then on the 2nd turn deep strike your whole army. You may loose some but if you do it smart you can overwhelm a part of his army. Then hit what is left on turn 3. I did this in about 3 games, and was the most fun I had.